Sign in to follow this  
AllergyDoc

Deep Sea V1 (or whatever)

AllergyDoc

I received this Deep Sea from Time4Direct. It shipped from Thailand, and Thailand postal site is nothing like EMS tracking. Once it hits the U.S. you can track it on usps.com.

The watch was pretty covered with "factory" grime and had to be washed immediately after the plastic was stripped off. Once cleaned, though, it shined quite nicely.

As has been written by a few, this watch is a chunk of steel.

DS%20dial.jpg

The clasp is almost as well constructed as the one on my GMT-II C.

DS%20clasp%203.jpg

DS%20clasp%204.jpg

The new locking clasp is great, once I figured out how to access it. You just lift up the end of the polished center part that is accessed after you open the clasp lock:

DS%20clasp%202.jpg

Then the bracelet can be extended by pulling laterally on the part of the bracelet that extends from the end of the clasp:

DS%20clasp%201.jpg

The gen can be adjusted 1mm at a time. I can't tell if this is the case with my rep. I forgot to photograph the divers' extension that pops out from under the clasp. Pretty cool.

Here are some more shots of the watch:

Crown:

DS%20crown.jpg

Case back:

DS%20back.jpg

Pearl and engraving:

DS%20pearl%202.jpg

DS%20pearl.jpg

Here is my major complaint about this version. The numbers are poorly engraved or stamped into the bezel. The "3" in 30 is particularly bad. Here it is next to a shot of my GMT-II C:

DS%2030.jpg

CGMTcrown2.jpg

See how nicely the GMT looks? Hopefully this will be corrected in the "super" version.

Some final wrist shots:

DS%20wrist%202.jpg

DS%20wrist%201.jpg

DS%20wrist%203.jpg

I've yet to compare the lume with my GMT-II C, the best I have. I'll test it tonight. My test is, after charging a watch under my full-spectrum light reading lamp, can I clearly read the time at 4:00-4:30 a.m.? With the GMT-II C I can.

As I implied in the T4D thread about this watch, I will likely upgrade to the "super" version when it comes out. Someone will get a nice deal on this one!

I would order from T4D again, given the right watch at the right price.

Post note: I sold it because the bezel cutting bugged me and the midlinks shouldn't be polished. (Easy fix, but why bother if the bezel cutting is poor?)

onzenuub

Beautiful pics Doc.

greg_r

Gorgeous watch, Doc - actually it was your pics the last time round that persuaded me to buy a DeepSea - albeit mine's the asian mvt version from TTK. Dispatched earlier this week - looking forward to getting it =]

AllergyDoc

TTK actually ships watches?

He's getting hounded on RG for stiffing SSurfer for $750+. Big drama. Highest view count for a post in months.

greg_r
TTK actually ships watches?

He's getting hounded on RG for stiffing SSurfer for $750+. Big drama. Highest view count for a post in months.

Actually, I've found Neil very easy to deal with, very communicative and basically a nice guy. I'd have no hesitation buying from him again. Go figure...

swissaddict

Doc.. that DeepSea is huge! I had no idea the case was so thick.

And as for Neil... hmm.. I've found TTK to be basically not a nice guy. Guess he is selective about whom he treats nicely.

Demsey

Nice, love the clasp. Pity about the insert font milling. Your GMT looks great with regard. I wonder if Watchmaterial.com will enter into the ceramic insert market. Seems a no brainer.

The only thing 'rep' I've done in ages was upgrading all my Rolex reps with Watchmaterial.com inserts. Subs, Dwellers, GMT II, LV's and vintage.They really are outstanding.

AllergyDoc

That clasp is/was one of the best features of that watch. 1mm micro-adjustments anytime you need. I've seen pics of the newest version and the bezel font looks too thick.

DSC00909.jpg

Edited by AllergyDoc

oscarmadfish

a rolex i like

Luthier
That clasp is/was[/] one of the best features of that watch. 1mm micro-adjustments anytime you need. I've seen pics of the newest version and the bezel font looks too thick.

You can ask dealers for new, better bezel insert, I just got mine from Mary, and now I'm happy.

fakemaster

TT...really?