Sign in to follow this  
prestigewatchco

GETTING GEN WATCHES CHEAPER IN EUROPE

prestigewatchco

Ok just as the title says

If you are an EU citizen it's possible as long as you have a valid VAT number to buy watches or almost any other item for that at around 20% less using the deferred Vat method.

Of course people with passports from outside the EU can also get them at this price but thats another thing

Any person from another EU country with a valid VAT number can buy VAT free in the EU

Now I know that there are better offers sometimes on certain makes to be got on the net but this is available for the ones you can't get at discount prices like Daytona SS or the Base Panerai .

Also worth remembering that from outside the EU bought on the net attracts duty and tax at point of entry into the EU this will kill any discount you may have in 1 fell swoop!

The rules are simple with the exception of Oil/Alcohol/Tobacco plus a couple of other things there is no inter EU vat on items purchased from a member country the VAT is to be paid in the final destination rather than at the point of purchase. The system is called Triangulation basically it's from A-B-C with the VAT liability being with C

Now you are meant to pay the VAT at home but there is no mechanism in place to ensure you do so a little like walking through customs without declaring the new watch you are wearing if you get pulled you have to pay! That said the likelyhood of getting stopped at customs is 100 greater than the chances of your cross EU transaction being singled out for further investigation as there is only a 3 month window in which to conduct the investigation

So just have a valid VAT number and you are good to go and save 20% of the purchase price

If you ar paying by CC then it needs to be your VAT connected to the card holder if it's a cash deal could be a friends VAT number

trailboss99

Interesting.

Good tip for EU members Robert.

Col.

Brightlight

As Intrastat returns have now moved online I guess it will get progressively easier for this to be checked. Personally I wouldn't risk my business this way.

sconehead

Hmmm, I'm VAT registered, BL, they are definitely monitoring this now?

Silverspeed

As long as you pick it up in person and pay cash...you can use any valid VAT number you like,

it doesn't have to be your VAT number...so that way it can never come back to you

prestigewatchco

Exactly silver! I have used Tesco's off a till receipt and petrol station receipts before now

Silverspeed

Before crossing the border, a phonecall to the foreign AD is a good idea...not all are willing to make the invoice excluding VAT, the grey market dealers are much more willing :lol:

For instance a brand new EU delivered Omega Planet Ocean 45mm on a SS bracelet for €1.700,-

MRSP €2.890,-

Brightlight
Hmmm, I'm VAT registered, BL, they are definitely monitoring this now?

I don't know sconey, but for sure it would be easy to do when you have to put the customer's valid VAT number on the form for sales and the supplier's valid VAT number for purchases all sitting on your computer. If you were HMRC wouldn't you? I'm VAT registered too and have been fortunate enough to have only one VAT inspection, they do go through everything with a fine tooth comb. Apart from a couple of mistakes which more or less cancelled themselves out they were quite happy but I don't wish to stick my head above the parapet!

Luthier

I have EU passport. But how can I get VAT number? I don't live in EU.

sconehead
I have EU passport. But how can I get VAT number? I don't live in EU.

Get your daughter to send you a few receipts from stores in the UK...:lol:

prestigewatchco

Lutier if you have US passport you don't need a VAT number you get tax free in EU automatically

Luthier
Lutier if you have US passport you don't need a VAT number you get tax free in EU automatically

I travel with my EU passport, it's much more convenient- I don't need visa to Hong Kong, Macao, Thailand, Japan, Korea, Malaysia, and to EU countries.

Saving hundreds of dollars, if not thousands, and no hassle with Embassies. Everywhere - visa on arrival.

Scone, thanks for tip, she definitely can send me reciepts.

Member X

I can't believe it's this easy! Don't you have to fill in a name and address or any details when you buy?? :rofl:

P_Diddy

Its one thing to buy from outside of EU and walk through customs and not declare it but this hmmmnnn....

Its Tax evasion if you give a VAT number not registered to your company.

prestigewatchco
Its one thing to buy from outside of EU and walk through customs and not declare it but this hmmmnnn....

Don't do it then pay the full price it's an option not a compulsory thing

KinCaidk

Did you just not ask a question?!

Well done, Diddy :yoda:

P_Diddy

not a question!

Did you just not ask a question?!

Well done, Diddy :yoda:

greg_r
not a question!

:thud:

:yoda:

P_Diddy

I know a few people in HMRC if you guys want to do this but it be kinda easier to buy outside EU and walk back through EU customs 'undeclared' :yoda:

The 'other' way would be 'falsifying' records kinda like giving a false name when buying.

your choice you decide.

not a question!

Member X

If you're going on a trip especially to buy something at -20%, it's gonna have to be a fecking expensive watch to still make it cheaper including the airfair lol

(Unless you're suffering, sorry, flying sleazyjet or ryanair :thud:)

I've always heard that Dubai has the tax-free markets? Or a tax-free festival? and the gold is sold by weight rather than design?

Not that any of this matters - I can't afford the petrol to get to the next town, nevermind out of this hellhole :yoda:

P_Diddy

why 'sleazyjet' come spill the beans, those toilets barely wide enough to swing a cat?

Uncle Stelios wants to know what you been up to on his planes? :P

If you're going on a trip especially to buy something at -20%, it's gonna have to be a fecking expensive watch to still make it cheaper including the airfair lol

(Unless you're suffering, sorry, flying sleazyjet or ryanair :P)

I've always heard that Dubai has the tax-free markets? Or a tax-free festival? and the gold is sold by weight rather than design?

Not that any of this matters - I can't afford the petrol to get to the next town, nevermind out of this hellhole ;)

Member X

lol

Sleazyjet because flying with them is not something you'd ever admit to doing in public, and you feel dirty while doing it ;) :P