Sign in to follow this  
offshore

A new toy.

offshore

Just won this on ebay.

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi...:EOIBSA:AU:1123

Now whilst the seller is calling it a pressure tester, I think it may actually be, a vacuum tester.

Has a built in pump (vacuum?)...I think the red liquid shown actually works like a site gauge in the bottom chamber whilst the watch in the top is subjected to a vacuum.

I know the seller, he has sold me a lot of stuff, and he is reasonably knowledgable, and certainly has done some homework on this, and couldn't find any info.

I have spent a bit of time searching, and don't have much more info.

Would be interested to know if anyone has seen anything like this!

It will either be a bargain bit of kit, or a giant white elephant, however it is certainly worth the money, (IMHO) for the research into what it actually can do.

It comes from around the period of the "Moon watch", and I'm wondering if it may be something built for that testing regime?

Offshore

Brightlight

What a fascinating bit of kit for not a lot of money! I can't for the life of me figure out how it works, I'll be most interested to hear what you discover.

mulder

mmm Victoria Australia. Home of the Oh lets have another Grand Final next week!

Looks good. Let us know how it goes.

David

graman

It's a big penis pump!

Brightlight
It's a big penis pump!

Not a lot of use to Pam wearers then who tend to have small penises ;)

Wiz

Never saw this one before, pretty impressive! I'll print a picture and bring it to a watchsmith I know, maybe knows more about it.

KBH

Looks interesting. Here's my theory:

You put the watch in the top in that crazy looking holder and seal off the top section. Then you pull a vacuum or put in pressure, whichever I have no idea. When stabilized at a certain pressure/vacuum in the bottom chamber you open the top chamber and the pressure will immediately equalize in both chambers. Then if the watch leaks, you will slowly see the pressure/vacuum change in the tube of red liquid which is calibrated.

Does that seem plausible?

Let us know what you figure out. Looks like a neat gadget.

greg_r
It's a big penis pump!

Hmm - been ambushing Panerai wearers and taking their trousers off, huh? I worry about you, BL - you'll be moving to Denmark and buying a boat next.... :rofl:

KBH
It's a big penis pump!

Not a lot of use to Pam wearers then who tend to have small penises :rofl:

They have an "overcompensation complex". ;)

Luthier
It's a big penis pump!

Not a lot of use to Pam wearers then who tend to have small penises B)

Oooohhh... now I understand that PAMania... and why I'm not a big fan of PAMs...

:rofl:

Same I was told about SUVs owners. I prefer small cars.

:(

trailboss99

I have a feeling that KBH may just have nailed it.

Makes sense to me at least. It will be interesting to see this jigger in action when it arrives at Che Offshore.

Col.

offshore

Well it would seem that there is more than a little interest in this from the folks @ Omega.

It is one of only a few built, and they don't have one in their museum. (And this thing is mint!)

Discussions will continue B) ...but its gunna cost!

O/S

Brightlight

Now that IS a nice one OS! Congratulations B)

KBH

I'm sure they have something they would like to trade for it...........Maybe a watch or two!

mspangl

big penis pump for your particular parnis :lol:;) .. sorry but i couldnt resist

mondeov6
It's a big penis pump!

Not all of them ware them on their penis BL.... I don't..... strap is far to short.... :lol:

offshore

This jigger has now found its way into the Offshore household.

There are a few things we now know about it (and many we still don't)

1. It is a pressure tester, or at least the attached pump, is a pressure pump, not a vacuum pump.

2. It was built by Omega in the late '60's or early '70's.

3. Omega tech division insist it was part of a series of testers bought out for quartz watches,

This tester was one part of a testing kit (Alitest, Deltatest, Visotest, Oscilloscope) for Omega quartz products and was introduced in 1972. The air-leak-meter or AL 600 was to "test" water-resistance in the water by means of little air bubbles (indicating a leak).

Unfortunately, we do not have any operating instructions available.

4.Someone on one of the watch repair forums thought it was a unit bought out during the NASA/Moonwatch project.

5. It functions, and has no leaks.

6. The red fluid is, I think, glycol. On the face of the tube is an inscription,

(next to the graph) pg/min. and looking up Wiki, pg = glycol= antifreeze = brake fluid??

7. The 2 valves on the back are most certainly to shut off air flow, however the sequence of use is unclear.

8. There is another valve in the base of the top chamber, which looks to be some sort of a safety relief valve, which exits outside the unit.

9. The tube running from the bottom chamber to the top, internally has free access between the two chambers, and its base sits in the glycol which just pools in the bottom of the lower chamber. (and will blow up into the top chamber under differential pressures)

10. The watch holder in the top chamber allows the watch to be raised and lowered, which would indicate that some water, (or other fluid,) is at sometime in the top chamber, and the watch is lowered or immersed into it.

11. On the face of the lower chamber are a series of graduations, seemingly to read the red fluid in the two tubes- the rear tube is captive within the lower chamber, the front tube as stated vents into the top chamber, suggesting some sort of variation between the two which can be somehow correlated as to either a leak, or lack of water resistance.

12. The "thing" is called an "Air Leak meter"

13. there is a timer on the base, which works in conjunction with the pump. and can be set to a maximum of 6 minutes. When it reaches zero, a bell/buzzer sounds.

So I am FIIK how this jigger is meant to work, however I was speaking to the president of the local watchmakers assoc, yesterday, and we have a meeting this coming Tuesday.

So I am going to take it along for "Show and Tell"

The other interesting sidelight, was that Omega showed initially some interest in it for their museum, however when I suggested that it may be worth a gold Seamaster, the silence was deafening! :picard2:

Oh well, always worth a try on!

Hopefully Tuesday night reveals the intricacies of this "thing", however I am open to all and any theories as to its operation, and how the results are displayed, or deduced.

Offshore

PS It doesn't make your penis any bigger! :)

Brightlight
PS It doesn't make your penis any bigger! :picard2:

I guessed you wouldn't be able to resist trying............... :)

Pity Omega won't cough up, still be very interested to hear if you and the local watchmakers work it out on Tuesday!