Sign in to follow this  
josh_w

How waterproof is my rep DSSD going to be?

josh_w

Hello,

I have a DSSD on the way from BK. I have no expectation of doing any industrial diving any time soon (and I wonder how many gen DSSD owners are breathing Heliox on a regular basis, but I digress). I was wondering how waterproof are the rep DSSDs? It's a rep, and I know it'll never survive a trip down to umpteen thousand feet, but should I remove it before getting in the hot tub? What have people experienced. Thanks.

-Josh

KeNnY

well I am also looking forward to waterproof my next soon to be mine Rolex DSSD. But what I have heard, when it is Asian J21 version, you will need to give it to some watchmaker here, or if you are skilled you can do it at home. But some of the dealers can waterproof your watch to 100M if it will be ETA movement.

greg_r

From BK, it should be adequately waterproof - even for swimming. However, to be safe I'd recommend getting it pressure tested before taking it anywhere near water.

KBH

Definitely remove it before hot tub use. Even a well waterproofed watch can leak in a hot tub. It's the change in temperature that allows water to enter. I believe it's due to the difference at which the temperature will make the separate parts expand and contract.

-XXXX-
Definitely remove it before hot tub use. Even a well waterproofed watch can leak in a hot tub. It's the change in temperature that allows water to enter. I believe it's due to the difference at which the temperature will make the separate parts expand and contract.

if properly greased (silicone on gaskets and stem) you will not have any problem. Remember to tighten the caseback/crown and you'll be fine.

The only problem I have with mine is that the bracelet clasp has the lock pin (where the rolex crown is) that has a bit of rust on it.

For the rest I use it every day in the pool and at sea...

KeNnY

sea is the most corrosive water.

Brightlight

Maybe I've been unlucky, but most of the reps I've tested leak, commonly round the crystal.

josh_w
Maybe I've been unlucky, but most of the reps I've tested leak, commonly round the crystal.

I'd love to be able to just leave it on my wrist and not think about it.

How would one pressure test the watch?

Let's hope BK tightens everything up. He seems to have a good reputation for doing so if they get lazy at the factory.

-Josh

Brightlight

I'd love to be able to just leave it on my wrist and not think about it.

How would one pressure test the watch?

Let's hope BK tightens everything up. He seems to have a good reputation for doing so if they get lazy at the factory.

-Josh

You need a waterproof tester to test a watch, quite an expensive piece of kit, even the cheaper ones. If BK offers waterproofing he will do it I'm sure, otherwise have it tested.

KBH

Keep in mind that just because a watch fails a leak test at 3 atmospheres, doesn't mean you can't shower/wash you hands/swim with it.

3 atm is equal to 96 feet and I doubt if many of you guys ever get that deep. My unscientific theory is that if a watch passes at one atmosphere, it will probably be waterproof for most normal use.

Not that I'm recommending this (Disclaimer, should your watch fail) but there's quite a difference between floating in a pool and going down 96 feet.

KeNnY

3ATM is max cleaning hands and shower.. I would not swim with it. When you swim there is different pressure of water to the watch. I think swim able is at least 5-10 ATM.

trailboss99

I doubt a single DSSD is owned by anyone who needs an HE valve TBH.

There are about 600 saturation divers in the entire world.

Have it tested by all means but never wear a watch, any watch in a hot tub or sauna.

Even gens don't like hot, wet environments.

Col.

sconehead
I doubt a single DSSD is owned by anyone who needs an HE valve TBH.

There are about 600 saturation divers in the entire world.

Have it tested by all means but never wear a watch, any watch in a hot tub or sauna.

Even gens don't like hot, wet environments.

Col.

SFA's Gaytona too?

:)

trailboss99

Well that didn't work did it? :)

Just post the bit of the URL after the = sign wrapped in [ youtube] [ /youtube] minus the space before the Y and the /

Col.

KBH

I would say that roughly 10 dive watches (3 Omega POs and about 7 Rolexes) I've swum in both my pool and the ocean, only one has leaked at all. That was a 1680 with plexi that I found had a crack under the crystal retaining ring. After replacement with a Clark crystal it's been fine.

To me spending money to test a watch that cost on the average $100 doesn't seem cost effective. With the cost of testing 10 watches, I would rather throw one away if it get's ruined.

More expensive watches, I understand not wanting to take the chance. And chrono watches I wouldn't trust. I just don't use them for swimming.