Sign in to follow this  
_DC_

THE DC REVIEW: Sellita vs Miyota Nautilus

_DC_

Thanks to all for your kind words, glad you've all enjoyed the review or found it interesting at least!!

Indeed, I can be relied on for all things Patek :P

DC

FuzzyCoyote

Great review mate. That face on the Miyota really does look great.

Its a pleasure to own the SW200 and believe me it will be looked after....

Thanks for doing this :)

Just noticed your user title thing...... haha brilliant

Thang

Great review. I love it. Thanks for sharing

UmpaHimself

Excellent side by side. Almost everything about the Miyota is right. Dial and rotor are enough to have me instantly sold. Like you say at arms length hard to notice the hands but what I see with the Selita is that the hand width matches the hour index width which is a more constant design so I can understand the letdown there. Also, I hate noisy autos. Really bugs me. You should have the movement serviced, maybe if it's lubed up it will quiet down. Looks kind of dirty in this pic anyway.

C29335A6-489A-49CB-B165-44B944AFDA32_zpsyu7h1hvu.jpg

tesmith2112

You didn't mention the date. Are the fonts correct on both models, and regarding the Miyota - when going through them all, are the all centered properly? I hate misaligned dates. It's a sign of poor quality.

_DC_
You didn't mention the date. Are the fonts correct on both models, and regarding the Miyota - when going through them all, are the all centered properly? I hate misaligned dates. It's a sign of poor quality.

Good point, I hadn't paid much attention as they are very similar, I'd say the aperture on the Miyota looks slightly smaller, as does the font but only very marginally. Both aren't quite right (despite claiming correct font) as they don't fill the date aperture as much as the gen does, so the font may be correct (and it does appear to be) but the font SIZE isn't! Same deal on both reps though!

Oh and they do both centre nicely, though with the Sellita (perhaps due to the very slightly larger aperture) you could always almost see the edge of the next number in the corner, though I once noticed the same thing on a gen so hey ho!

DC

Chrisby

Wow DC a very thorough review of both these movements and differences in the two watches.

Great work!

_DC_
great review!

but what about the lume?

are there any differences?

do they have the right colour?

I couldn't care less about lume, the gen isn't super lumed, it's not that sort of watch! And I did mention the colour, I don't have a gen to compare to so can't speak from experience but our good friend Realism has a gen and he tells me the Miyota looks closer to fen than the Sellita!!

DC

honeybear

Interesting comparison, thanks for sharing.

Kleen™

Awesome comparo, mate. Kudos!

fana05

Ever thought about popping the dial onto the Sellita movement, using the myota rotor, if possible? I understand the sellita version hands won't fit the myota canon pin but there has to be a way to do a perfect mash from both watches. Send it to Domi, I'm sure he can figure it out. Myota case, bracelet, and dial with the Sellita hands would be uber

Edited by fana05

wdev

Very thorough and excellent review. Read it with my Miyota on the wrist, it also agrees that it is the best one :lol:

Kleen™

...and it even seems you have found a successful coping-strategy to handle your dyslexia, D...:-)

millionaire wannabe

Great review! I think I'd go for the Miyota version, all things considered. Since this is way up on my "must buy" list, this review is very appreciated and informative. Thanks and enjoy those beauties! :)

rimarima2

am so disappointed about the hands and i cant find correct spare ones that fit, anyone know?

_DC_
am so disappointed about the hands and i cant find correct spare ones that fit, anyone know?

You won't find them as the Miyota movement has different hand mounting to the SW200, and they haven't made the proper hands for the Miyota yet, obviously or they'd be on the watch already lol!

DC

chuckbass

This is an awesome and very informative writeup!! Thanks so much for this! Watch is absolutely fantastic.. Now if only PP put a closed caseback on one and we could have a super-rep :giggle:

A note on the hands - the Miyota version uses the same hands as on my Miyota 9015 AP Royal Oak 15400! Probably a bit of laziness/ cost cutting.

(Trying to post a photo!) Still noobing about

IMG_0289_zpsada5e809.jpg

Edited by chuckbass

_DC_
This is an awesome and very informative writeup!! Thanks so much for this! Watch is absolutely fantastic.. Now if only PP put a closed caseback on one and we could have a super-rep :giggle:

A note on the hands - the Miyota version uses the same hands as on my Miyota 9015 AP Royal Oak 15400! Probably a bit of laziness/ cost cutting.

IMG_0289_zpsada5e809.jpg

I'm afraid it's even worse than that, they aren't the same hands as the Miyota 15400, they are slightly smaller and the seconds hand is completely different, which means they simply got it wrong..... classic rep factory mistake!

If they put a closed caseback on the 5711 rep it wouldn't be a super rep, the closed caseback 3800 and 3711 are quite different in the case proportions, so it'd still be wrong, lol! I think the Miyota is as close as any movement is ever going to come to replicating the 324 sc movement!

DC

stormtooper4

top quality review

thank you

rimarima2

u guys that have been along for a very long time, can one expect a fix of the hands within 3 months or is it more like 6-12months at best?

chuckbass

I'm afraid it's even worse than that, they aren't the same hands as the Miyota 15400, they are slightly smaller and the seconds hand is completely different, which means they simply got it wrong..... classic rep factory mistake!

If they put a closed caseback on the 5711 rep it wouldn't be a super rep, the closed caseback 3800 and 3711 are quite different in the case proportions, so it'd still be wrong, lol! I think the Miyota is as close as any movement is ever going to come to replicating the 324 sc movement!

DC

Hahaha gee! Good spot, totally didn't look at the seconds hand :Doh:

GenTLe

3ABFFF66-77CC-417E-AA63-8DEBCBD4FCDE_zpsejn4yr5f.jpg

DC

Ehi DC, I'm re-reading this great post as I'm going to get a Miyota like your too.

I noticed a small wrong detail on your old sellita.

Have you noticed that the stick @11 is wrong? The assembler should have used a stick like the one @5 and instead they used one like those @1 and @7 ;)

Member X

Oh yeah! Eagle eyes :D

Paparolf

Great review mate