Sign in to follow this  
MetalMickey

Tudor Black Bay (I think v2)

MetalMickey

I have also posted his across the street, hope I am not breaching etiquette by also placing it here, if so, please let me know mods!

This is my first rep, and my first review, so please be gentle!

Watch was from Toro, and arrived in the UK in super quick time. It was packaged well, and looked beautiful in the flesh.

ta3ynu7e.jpgypunu9e2.jpg

I set about resizing the bracelet and came across a problem. My usual a screwdriver (1.4mm) was too big. It took me a few days to get a good quality 1mm driver, but that got the links out easily.

In the meantime, I took off the bracelet to try it on a NATO. the solid end links were such a tight fit that even a local watch smith could not get the bracelet off the problem was that it uses fat, single shouldered spring bars, which are hard to get purchase on. I replaced them with double shouldered ones, for easy removal as I am waiting on a leather strap to complete the look. The micro adjustment spring bar at the clasp end failed as soon as I tried to remove it (spring broke inside) so that has to be replaced with a spare 18mm spring pin.

The bracelet is well made, the end links are a good fit, and the gap at the clasp is smaller than others I have seen. Not lost any ceramic balls from the locking mechanism yet...

hedugebu.jpg

The watch itself, then, is nicely put together. I would compare e quality to that of a Seiko gen. I haven't held a gen BB so can't compare feel, but it feels the right weight, and of good quality. Dial printing is clear and crisp. Crystal is nicely domed and no distortion but is very reflective compared to my AR costed gens. If it is AR coated then it is not well done! Hands and markers are good, although hands seem slightly lighter than the markers. Not sure if this is a V1 or V2 but the pearl looks good to my eyes, and is centred acceptably for me.

qu5u9eda.jpg

The bezel is very tight and has a fair bit of play. I don't use it so this doesn't worry me, and my Seiko beater also has a stiff bezel so nothing worries me. I can't see to get bezel and dial markers to line up to my satisfaction but I think this is more my eyes than a problem with the dial. The crown is also quite gritty to unscrew, but hand winding feels fine and does not activate the rotor or feel gritty.

Lume? Well it has some. It is not applied as well on the sticks as on the dots and hands, and is nothing to write home about. I aren't fussed, it is better than all my non-seiko gens!

unygyna6.jpg

Timekeeping is acceptable, it is as accurate as my gen ETA 2858 watch, I aren't fussy to the second!

Overall I am really pleased for the price I paid, and although there are little problems, the thing is beautiful, and will look even better when I get it on its leather strap.

uvuqyvaz.jpg

ezy7u5e7.jpg

MetalMickey

Couple more photos with the strappedfortime.com black bomber jacket strap and deployant clasp, a great fifty dollar upgrade...

u2u8yrug.jpg

ga3a2ahu.jpg

ezemusy3.jpg

ShovelnTC

Nice watch and review.

I have this and the blue bezel version and also have the strapped for time strap on the Maroon but have left the bracelet on the Blue bezel version.

Yep the SEL sure is a tight fit and I also struggled getting the bracelet off.

Thanks for taking the time and enjoy your BB.

MetalMickey
Nice watch and review.

I have this and the blue bezel version and also have the strapped for time strap on the Maroon but have left the bracelet on the Blue bezel version.

great minds think alike: I too plan to get a blue one to leave on the bracelet, as is like it, but think the red one suits a strap better.

ShovelnTC
Nice watch and review.

great minds think alike: I too plan to get a blue one to leave on the bracelet, as is like it, but think the red one suits a strap better.

My thoughts exactly, I tried the red with bracelet but it just lost the vintage feel and tried the blue with sailcloth and although looked spectacular I just prefer it with the bracelet.

Having the pair gives great contrast.

MetalMickey
Nice watch and review.

My thoughts exactly, I tried the red with bracelet but it just lost the vintage feel and tried the blue with sailcloth and although looked spectacular I just prefer it with the bracelet.

Having the pair gives great contrast.

could get a black to wear on a NATO and complete the set...

SteveSMP

Nice review!

I have hade mine (v3) for a couple of weeks now and it has grown to be my absolute favorite!

Love the dial, bracelet and most of all the size. It wears perfect on my wrist!

Overall very impressed!

Kemist

Very nice review. This bb is really growing in me and its just the matter of seconds before i send my money to Toro!

I'm a bit towards the blue bezel function though but i have to admit the red one has that vintage look to it!

Great watch metalmickey. Wear it well!

Melonas

where u found that kickass strap for you tudor bb red?

Couple more photos with the strappedfortime.com black bomber jacket strap and deployant clasp, a great fifty dollar upgrade...

u2u8yrug.jpg

ga3a2ahu.jpg

ezemusy3.jpg

MetalMickey
where u found that kickass strap for you tudor bb red?

strappedfortime.com black bomber jacket strap

Guess... ;)

MikeTampa

Great review thanks for all the info!

Andybo160767

Adds a whole new dimension to this watch with the black vintage strap. Love it!

neeeeecholas

OMG MATE where did you get the leather strap? i have a z fac v3 and absolutely love it but have not been able to source a nice leather strap like yours.

redducati

That strap does look good. Heading to the site whre you got it from. Hoping there's a size that would fit the rep Tudor deployant that came with the watch.

GenTLe
OMG MATE where did you get the leather strap? i have a z fac v3 and absolutely love it but have not been able to source a nice leather strap like yours.

That strap does look good. Heading to the site whre you got it from. Hoping there's a size that would fit the rep Tudor deployant that came with the watch.

Guys, it is just written. In the post with pics of the watch on strap...

GMT_Zulu

Yes! curious on the black strap as well. I'm new, and shopping right now, but love this combo !