D_Chico

What To Do If Your Package Is Held By Customs

D_Chico

Recently I've seen a couple of posts about people having their package held by customs..This is a RARE situation but in this business it does happen occasionally..

So, Here's a few tips:

- Don't Panic! This does not mean you are in trouble..When customs hold a package for inspection they will likely notify you with a letter stating "We have a parcel addressed to....We believe it's contents may be in violation with Federal Law"

- Upon receiving such a letter DO NOT RESPOND! They will try and provoke a response out of you by possibly saying that they just need an invoice to release it. As tempting as it may be because you have hopes that they will release your package, they WON'T! A response is not necessary either..Their clever wording may make it seem like you have to reply but, I promise you don't have to..

- Contact your TD RIGHT AWAY! Simply inform them that you received a notice that your package is being held by customs..To help expedite matters between you and the TD you should take a picture of the notice and attach it to the email.

- Now all you need to do is wait for a response from the TD. Do not pester them and send multiple emails! They are very busy people and it will only cause confusion..If you don't hear anything within 3-4 days you can send a short follow up email asking if they're aware of what happened and if they received your last email

- Most TD's will are willing to send a replacement in these kind of situations. Best thing to do now is provide a different address for it to be shipped to..Obviously use someone that you trust..You only need to do this for this one package..Just to be on the "safe side".. ..This doesn't mean that you have to do this from now on. It's just a precaution to prevent any issues..If for some reason customs sees the same package only a few days later they will be more likely to recognize it..

- If this has happened to you it should not deter you from making future purchases! Your name is not going to be on any sort of "list" for one small purchase like this (this is true for the US other countries may be different)..These customs seizures happen at random most of the time! They're more concerned about the seller rather than the buyer..

If you have followed everything that was stated above your situation should come to an end with a positive result for you and the TD! By not responding to customs there is a small chance that they will send the package back to the address in which it was shipped from..or they might destroy it..Usually they're looking for some type of response to confirm their thoughts of it being "counterfeit goods".. It's always best to order just one or two watches at a time! It will minimize any chances of this happening.. My mother has worked management for UPS for 29 years now and she has seen her fair share of "crazy" when it comes to these types of situations! So please take heed to this advice! All of this information that I have just shared with you is TRUE! If you listen well all will end well :)

All of this information is true for the US..Customs procedures in other countries may vary a little bit.. Please post any info that you know to be true, specific to your country, and I will update this post..

Mechwarrior

Buy sunglasses

go to custom

do this

ill_be_back_terminator.gif

plankton

Good info, thanks for the post.

Kcore

@ D_Chico - THX! :thumbsup:

Sorry to hear about your mom :)

Daywatch

discussable "- If this has happened to you it should not deter you from making future purchases! Your name is not going to be on any sort of "list" for one small purchase like this.." it may indeed land on such a pc-list for a 12-month period if You are in EU and every Asian package mailed to that same name & address is automatically checked on content. Easy test is to buy something cheap from dinodirect or similar and proceed according to results.

D_Chico
discussable "- If this has happened to you it should not deter you from making future purchases! Your name is not going to be on any sort of "list" for one small purchase like this.." it may indeed land on such a pc-list for a 12-month period if You are in EU and every Asian package mailed to that same name & address is automatically checked on content. Easy test is to buy something cheap from dinodirect or similar and proceed according to results.

That's good to know! For the US there's only a 30 day activity log..maybe I should specify that its for the US or maybe do an update to include info about other countries

RUSH2112

This is good info but some countries apparently take it a little more seriously than others.

abs0025

Really good info. I've never had any problems in the US, buts it's nice to know the procedures to take just in case something does happen.

Frankt8242

This needs to be a "sticky"!!

D_Chico
This needs to be a "sticky"!!

Thank you! I agree ;)

greg_r

Here, have a sticky. Great thread :D

sticky.jpg

D_Chico

Thanks Greg :D

J.S.

Every time I see this roll I see roll crawling with maggots :o

PS: very good reading in this thread!

Edited by J.S.

Genius

"hWat To Do If Your Package Is Held By Customs"

Answer: Cry.... then buy another

Hassep

I received a SMS today from Swedish custom. They want a receipt and a description of the package. I've ordered a box from a non TD. A Tudor box. What do you think I should do? No threats or anything. But I don't know what would happend if they find out that is a "Tudor box". Maybe I just ignore the SMS...

D_Chico
I received a SMS today from Swedish custom. They want a receipt and a description of the package. I've ordered a box from a non TD. A Tudor box. What do you think I should do? No threats or anything. But I don't know what would happend if they find out that is a "Tudor box". Maybe I just ignore the SMS...

In this case it sounds like they're trying to maybe collect a tax..I would just tell them it was a gift and you do not have a receipt.. Hopefully whoever shipped it marked it as such..if not they might just ask you to pay a small import tax..

Good luck! Let me know what happens :)

Seand83

Very well written and helpful. Thanks Chico

replicastuff

Thanks, also worth checking the td's terms and conditions though as not all td's resend the items or they will only re-send once which is understandable.

Hassep

In this case it sounds like they're trying to maybe collect a tax..I would just tell them it was a gift and you do not have a receipt.. Hopefully whoever shipped it marked it as such..if not they might just ask you to pay a small import tax..

Good luck! Let me know what happens :)

Update... I took a screenshot of the buy from aliexpress. (Yes I bought it there) and sent it to custom. No problem. No answer, just a quick release. But... Then TNT tried to deliver it to me. At work during the days so I left my signature on a paper so they could leave it at my door. (Apartment, 8 of them in my house. Looked door) And now 4h later when I come home. GONE! Somebody stole it :/.

KingSly

Nice write up Chico

Food for thought on my next purchase. Hope non of us ever experience it though

Genius

Nice write up Chico

working on the post count now :giggle:

Clermont

Nice write up Chico

working on the post count now :giggle:

This advice has been very helpful.

Omeg@

Before going into trouble, ask the seller to make the details in the custom more flexible interms of: value and description

mitchbaria

When a package is insured coming from another country to the U.S. does it draw attention?

D_Chico
When a package is insured coming from another country to the U.S. does it draw attention?

Nope :) just depends on the item description against the declared value.. So if your package is marked as a "gift" and says "used watch parts" and its declared or insured value is like $300+ then thats cause for alarm..lol..but typically if it's got a low value and what's inside is declared correctly then the package should be just fine ;)