Sign in to follow this  
Harry_Worth

What's the difference between a $348 and a $88 Rolex

Harry_Worth

Hi all,

I know the obvious answer is 'you gets what you pays for' but - a mate has asked me to get him a Rolex Milgauss rep (he's got me a lot of work so I owe him).

I've studied the House of Souvenirs website and found the model he's after - there seem to be three similar models one with a Rolex copy movement and two others - Their prices are quite different - What exactly will the difference be between them - other than it's better quality - in what way would the more expensive watch be better - Is it worth the difference in price I guess is the question I'm asking. Or maybe is the statement 'you don't need the real thing if you have a $348 rep' appropriate! Here's hoping!

Thanks for your help on this

Harry

PERPETUAL MILGAUSS COPY ROLEX MOVEMENT 3131 31J

ITEM NO. SWMIL 005

AUTOMATIC

348.00 USD

PERPETUAL MILGAUSS

ITEM NO. MIL 005

AUTOMATIC

88.00 USD ,

sconehead

...well for starters Harry (my dad told me there was some comic named Worth in ancient times...;) ) the Rolex copy movement has a bad rep reliability wise, so I'd avoid if it if I were you and I doubt if it's got 31j either...

Sometimes the Swiss version watches have superior cases, sapphire crystal etc. However do your homework first, read and read again to avoid being disappointed.

I'd have a look here just to give you an idea, http://www.replica-watches-guide.com/forum...amp;hl=milgauss

KBH

First big difference is in the movement. Asian 21j are the cheapest followed by the Eta clone and the Swiss Eta. Also there's a Rolex style Eta clone that is pretty much a waste of money and is as expensive as a Swiss Eta.

Next there is mineral glass and sapphire crystals. Sapphire being much more scratch resistant. The green tinted models have some with just a green band around the edge of the crystal and others have actual green tinted glass.

And on the Milguass in particular there are several different cases. One slightly smaller than 40 mm and the better one slightly larger.

The model that PWC sells is from the best factory. What he calls the Milguass factory since they make a line of excellent watches. I'd check him out first. Other dealers can source it but he regularly stocks it and has it at a very good price.

JoeyB

Harry, get a picture of the model Milguass you want and PM Robert at Prestigewatch. He s a trusted dealer here.

Here is an example of his 'cheap' one: PWC Milguass offer

I know he has offered the Milguass without the green A/R too, and I'm certain he can get any movement you prefer.

The really great thing that Robert does is discount by $20 to VIP members. VIP here is $25. So in essence. you can be a RWG VIP for $5 and a watch!

Star

The short answer?-Roughly $260

sconehead

...by the way, the link I gave is to a decent version, personally, I'd go for the ETA clone...:thumbsup2:

KBH

Oh, I just remembered another thing. There's a known problem with the second hand "stuttering" on the 21j movement Milguass's. I think it has to do with the size and weight of the second hand making it much more noticeable than on most other watches. Another reason to go with the Eta or clone model.

You can probably use the "search" and find out more.

KeNnY
Harry, get a picture of the model Milguass you want and PM Robert at Prestigewatch. He s a trusted dealer here.

I know he has offered the Milguass without the green A/R too, and I'm certain he can get any movement you prefer.

The really great thing that Robert does is discount by $20 to VIP members. VIP here is $25. So in essence. you can be a RWG VIP for $5 and a watch!

SO when Robert has a watch for 55USD and I PM him, that I would like it and I am VIP, I will get that watch for 35USD ? :)

JoeyB

SO when Robert has a watch for 55USD and I PM him, that I would like it and I am VIP, I will get that watch for 35USD ? :)

Nope. When Robert makes the offer is when it applies. He does it on most offers like this one, but there is a point of reason. Your example isn't reasonable.

KeNnY

ah okay, thanks for explanation :)

Member X

Would be great if it were though ;):D

re: the 21j issue, only the clone ETA / swiss ETA movements have direct drive seconds hand. The Asian Automatic 21j movements aren't direct drive seconds hand, therefore they aren't as smooth because there is, of course, some inconsistent tolerances in the cheaply made movement.

At least that's my understanding from what I've read :) lol

KeNnY

but there is also an Premium Asian J21 movement with smooth second hand, anybody have experience with this movement ?

pollux1
but there is also an Premium Asian J21 movement with smooth second hand, anybody have experience with this movement ?

I had a explorer 1 with the high beat 2813 movement, was pretty good but not as smooth as the ETA/clones imho.

Harry_Worth

SO when Robert has a watch for 55USD and I PM him, that I would like it and I am VIP, I will get that watch for 35USD ? :band:

Nope. When Robert makes the offer is when it applies. He does it on most offers like this one, but there is a point of reason. Your example isn't reasonable.

Oh hell - this place is like being let loose in a sweet shop! Can't help myself - Ordered a Milgauss from Robert.

KBH

Now the real fun begins. Getting all nervous and sweaty and checking the tracking number 10 times a day. :band:

Try to just put it out of your mind for the next week and before you know it the postman will be knocking at your door.