Sign in to follow this  
turnipz

Cost to upgrade movement?

turnipz

Hey guys, I know theres people here that work on watches and stuff for cash; I was wondering average how much they charge for upgrading a movement from asian 21j. I was thinking of getting a bunch of cheapies and just upgrading the ones I liked the best, if its feasible or just cheaper to just buy a whole new ETA one.

KBH

It's MUCH cheaper to just buy the Eta. The dials and hands and in many cases, the cases are also difference. Also, often the Eta models have Sapphire compared to mineral glass for the 21j. Plus you have to add in the cost of having someone swap out the movement.

All in all, a very bad idea.

Luthier

VERY bad idea.

Akira

Maybe if I would be Brightlight, I would say:

"Very good idea."

but otherwise

VERY bad idea.

+1

greg_r

The problem with trying to switch movements is that you usually end up having to change the hands too. Not worth the effort, frankly.

Brightlight
Maybe if I would be Brightlight, I would say:

"Very good idea."

Actually I wouldn't and I have already advised numerous members who have asked the cost of an upgrade to sell their 21J's and buy an ETA model as it is much cheaper (and a lot less hassle) than doing an upgrade. The hands have to be replaced, OK if it is a Rolex, but not the easiest thing to get for other models, the dial ideally needs to be replaced, though you can get away with cutting the feet off and using dial dots, the movement holder is different and there is no guarantee the ETA movement will fit in a case designed for a 21J anyway, though most use the same case for both. It is also possible the 4th wheel, canon pinion and hour wheel on the ETA will need to be replaced with higher parts if it is a 2842.