Sign in to follow this  
rudypantaleon

Tag stopped working

rudypantaleon

hello all, i bought a Tag 0179 from trusty time, it has a 7750 movement, as soon as i got the watch few days later rotor came loose, contacted the seller and basically just recommended that i glued it on, i didn't, since i wasn't confident enough on doing it, and winding it everyday was not going to be a big deal, now the problem with the watch is that all of a sudden the watch stopped working i would wind and wind and no movement. i see that there is a bolt that is missing from the outer part of the movement I'm guessing one of the 3 that hold the movement in place? but thats about it, i don't feel any resistance while winding it, just doesn't work. any ideas? anyone in the US ( South Florida that could take a look at it), thanks in advance for your help

Edited by rudypantaleon

SSTEEL

If what you describe is true, that movement retaining screw could well be lodged in the balance assembly, and would need careful extraction by means of balance assembly removal.

As to your rotor, gluing it on? Strange Andrew would suggest this as they a A7750 rotor is usually secured with a central screw through the centre of the bearing.

rudypantaleon

thanks for your reply, regarding the rotor he recomemded epoxy. the rotor is not an issue i would just like the watch to work again, any recommendation on a Rep friendly watchsmith in the US.

thanks again

this was the exact response:

TTW888 ADMIN <[email protected]>

The winding rotor came off loose?Open the caseback with a small rubber ball and then use some epoxy adhesive to attach it back on the plate

Thanks

Edited by rudypantaleon

SSTEEL

Drop Kevin a PM, aka 1littlegreen

JSJ

I'm sure Micky (SSTEEL) has recommended the best action - to send it to someone to fix it.

There are some questions which come to mind though.

How do you know the rotor came loose? Where is the rotor screw?

Seems like you might have four bits floating around in the case. Rotor, rotor screw, movement retention screw and bracket. Oh dear. Loose bits inside the movement is a very bad idea. Or did you take the rotor out?

And it's not winding manually either? That's a bad sign on a 7750.

As for gluing the rotor on with epoxy, that is quite silly. Must be a misunderstanding of some sort. Are you sure it wasn't just some decoration ON the rotor which came off?

Just some thoughts. A pic would be interesting.

rudypantaleon

I took the rotor out when it came loose.

image.jpg

10:10 Watch Repair

That makes a little more sense, although Andrew's repair advice is questionable. The rotor has separated from the rotor bearing. Sometimes it's held on with a clip, sometimes it's pressed on. Regardless, if it came loose, epoxy is not a great idea to fix it, as it has to be relatively straight.

So there may be a round piece floating around in the watch that is designed to hold the rotor in, there may be two movement clamps and their screws floating around. Your movement will probably require at least a partial disassembly to fish out the parts as well as a new rotor.

oh, and it looks like possibly one screw that holds the movement spacer onto the mainplate near the balance.

Edited by 10:10 Watch Repair

rudypantaleon

The rotor parts i think were only these.

The screw is what i think caused the problem, since i couldnt find it when i opened the case.

image.jpg

10:10 Watch Repair

The rotor parts i think were only these.

The screw is what i think caused the problem, since i couldnt find it when i opened the case.

image.jpg

Yep, don't glue it. That circular piece holds the rotor on it's bearing (still attached in center of watch)

You might have several screws missing, or maybe just one, it depends on who assembled the watch and if they were raided during assembly.