Sign in to follow this  
Dendo

Overwinding automatics

Dendo

Hi everyone!!

I have some questions on 'automatic watch winding' that may have been addressed to death many times already.

1. What are the things to consider when winding automatic watches?

2. Is it easy to overwind them?

3. What sounds should I be listening for? Or should I feel resistance? When do I know it is fully wound?

I presume they have a safety clutch (not sure what you call this mechanism) but how do I detect when it is operating and thus when I should stop winding?

Or does one just wind for a set number of turns?

4. I don't have a hand wound watch - but do they feel different?

Thanks for the great forum and the amusing camaraderie you guys exhibit. It is an amazing collection of helpful and smart enthusiasts and I have learned so much from you guys.

ThinkBachs

Watch winding should really only be performed by a watchsmith. Some people do take it upon themselves to attempt this, and those with massive egos will tell you that anyone can do it- you'll probably see their posts after this one. Those are the people you DON'T want to take advice from, nothing but trouble they are.

IF YOU MUST ATTEMPT TO WIND YOUR OWN WATCH, HERE ARE SOME OF THE RULES:*

Carry a notebook around to keep track of when to wind your automatics. The general rule is 1.25 winds for every hour past the last wind time. You do have to take into consideration how the watch is allowed to wind down though. If the watch is laying crystal side down, then you have to calculate 1.17 winds, on it's side 1.35 winds, and at an angle 1.20 winds. If you are wearing the watch, you have to take into consideration the activity.

Running: don't wind

Walking: don't wind

Dancing: don't wind

Making Woopie: who cares

Sleeping: depends on the dream

Sounds to listen for: if you hear a crunching or grinding sound STOP! The watch is fully wound, and you're good to go.

As far as over winding, yes, you can over wind. Let's say you sit there and turn the crown 325,000 times. Chances are that you'll wear out the movement. On the plus side, you won't have to wind it any more.

Does it feel different? Only in your head.

*Not responsible for damage should you decide to NOT use a watchsmith

Brightlight

Despite TB's mischevious advice, :thumbsup: personally I don't see any problems in winding an auto unless it is an A7750 which are notoriously delicate. Certainly I've yet to see an ETA28xx damaged by manual winding. It does make sense to do it slowly and gently out of respect for the mechanism and there is no need to fully wind if you're going to wear it.

Generally you cannot overwind an auto, there is usually a 'clutch' mechanism to prevent this happening. In the case of ETA the outer end of the mainspring slips in the barrel when it reaches the winding limit.

Akira

:thumbsup: @ TB

but easy on the newbie please

stick to BL advice he knows what hes talking about

I never wind my watche if its running...if it has stopped 30-40 slowly turns will do it.

Dendo

Thanks.

I was wondering if you can feel the clutch slipping when it is fully wound? - but from the answers it sounds like you really should not get to that point.

Is it a similar clutch mechanism in hand wound watches?

Again, I appreciate the comments and the humor - thanks.

narikaa
I was wondering if you can feel the clutch slipping when it is fully wound?

Indeed

Take a slow walk up a steep incline

You'll see the seconds hand struggling to keep up with proper time

:thumbsup2:

trailboss99

Nope, unlike an auto a hand wound watch will come to a stop when fully wound and not want to wind any further.

7750s I would try to avoid winding at all. The only time you should is if you need to use the chrono after a short period of wear

as the chrono should never be used with a low power reserve. If you must, gently does it and about 20-30 turns or so at most.

Col.