Sign in to follow this  
LaSub

Movement Testing

LaSub

Hello to everybody!

I am looking to get myself a rep watch, and I've done a little research of the dealers and offerings. I know what I want but I just don't know about which dealer to for. The prices are all roughly the same, and they all seem to be great in communication and the reviews are good too.

But a few dealers offer to actually check the movement on a machine, and then show you a picture (or a video in one case) of the result. I am trying to work out is this worth it? Should I go to a dealer which will test the movement or not?

I'd only buy from a dealer that would do a QC check and email the photos to me, and most seem to do that. Just not all with the movement testing.

Any help is really appreciated!

From,

LaSub.

KBH

Welcome LaSub,

A couple of dealers will do the movement check on a machine as part of their QC process It's a nice added bonus and a sales tool for those dealers. I'm not sure I'd personally limit my purchases based on that. It's not like they're also timing it to COSC standards or anything. They are just showing you that the watch runs within the factory standards for that movement. Almost all movements will pass or they wouldn't leave the factory (And I mean the movement factory. Not the watch factory).

So, it's really up to you to decide how important it really is. And remember that a lot of problems occur in shipping, after they've left the dealer's.

Brightlight

KBH is right, it's a 'nice to have' but shouldn't define your choice of dealer or watch. It's also true that most problems occur in transit, screws coming loose, dial markers falling off, etc, but all the recommended dealers will ensure the watch is fixed or replaced in the event of a problem. This is why recommended dealers are recommended!

LaSub

Hi and thanks for your message!

I didn't think of it like that - all the machine does is show the movement works. I don't understand what you mean by movement factory? Apart from genuine ETA, are the a21j's and the ETA clones tested by the factories too?

If that's the case then I suppose the testing isn't 100% essential.

Thanks!

KBH

I mentioned the movement factories as opposed to the places that assemble reps, which are very loosely considered watch factories. They wouldn't be considered factories in the strict sense that most of us think of. They could be a small one room with 10 or 20 workers, or they could be some families bedroom with several family members assembling watches. There are probably less than 10 actual movement factories in China that supply movements worldwide. Reps are a very small portion of their total production.

The movement factories are large and in many cases, state sponsored factories that the movements are made to certain specifications with an allowed tolerance for defects of of very small percentage. Probably much less than one percent.

LaSub

Oh so movement and watch assembely are two different things? I thought there was like a giant place where movements, cases, hands, bracelets, crystals, etc are made and then assembled? But I suppose it will probably be a hidden place, but how do are parts sourced?

Also, the asian clones are ETA designs? Are these state funded too?

KBH

When the Chinese decided to get into the watch movement business probably 20 years ago, or so, they funded two watch factories and got them started. The Chinese bought and moved several of the older Eta factories to China. This was at the time mechanical movements were out of style and Quartz was the big thing. Since then free market capitalism has taken root and more factories have opened. Swatch group and other Swiss companies were sourcing out parts from the Chinese and of course the Chinese do what they always do. They started copying all the popular designs.

There are many separate factories. Some producing cases, some bracelets, some crystals, dials etc. It all comes together in places like Guanzhou were the suppliers sell to the many hundreds of assembly plants.

This is my understanding from doing a little reading. I'm sure Robert (PWC) or Narikaa could give a lot more information and I could be way off.