Sign in to follow this  
markeym3

IS IT A FAKE OR A REPLICA

markeym3

Ok this may sound a bit odd but over the last few weeks I have been buying a few watches , really enjoying it , I have had the pleasure of using some great dealers and the huge benefit of the mountains of knowledge and advice on this site.

I usally have the watches delivered to my work and most of my work mates are very impressed with the watches as i am.

The only thing is my boss , who is ok really, keeps refering to the watches as "fakes" this annoys me a little as i am not trying to pass them off as original and prefer the term "replica"

So guys what is the correct term ?

What are your thoughts ?

cheers

ThinkBachs

Fake....

fakerolex.jpg

Replica....

DSC02245800x600.jpg

The difference is the quality. Anyone who refers to a non-gen watch as a fake has never seen (or doesn't realize they've seen) a replica.

Brightlight

Fake, counterfeit, replica, it is all the same. They are fake in the sense they are not genuine Rolex or whatever but are marked as such. You just have to live with it or spend thousands on a gen ;)

Member X

I guess both are correct - except 'fake' is used by the gen industry and gen buyers as the word is 'dirty' and has connotations of presenting a false front, whereas 'replica' implies time and effort to mimic something - after all, a kit car of a ferrari Dino is a replica of the original, not a 'fake' ferrari lol

Del

Yeah, when I get someone calling my watch a "fake" it pisses me off and I tell them that it isn't a fake watch because it works and keeps the correct time ;).

So glad I got that off my chest....... :rolleyes:;) .

mspangl
Fake....

fakerolex.jpg

;)

Akira

who gives markey

more than 90% of the people you meet will not look at your watch

and if they do they dont recognise whether its a cheap "casio" or a gen "any high priced brand but rolex".

just dont talk about it much and you are good to go...

i never talk about the price of my watches and i never have to say

they are "replica" or "fake"...and i work in the fashion business.

but you are right the word "fake" has a defined negative connotation

turnipz

A replica sounds like something that would be hung up in a museum though, not worn around.

Tinstar

I have had classic cars for a number of years. I currently have an original 1971 Chevelle Malibu, which has been made to look like a Super Sport, with the SS badges, paint job, hood, wheels, etc. This is considered to be a "clone". I know people who have copies of cars, like the Ford Cobra...not many originals left out there. They are called "replicas". In the car world, I have not heard the word "fake" thrown around. I know that I'm a noob, but I must say that I don't believe that the rep watches should be called fake...they are real watches that keep time, tell day, date, etc...nothing fake about that. Okay...so the watch has been copied and carries the Rolex, Omega, etc., name. In my book, that is a replica or a clone...not fake. Just my two cents worth.

By the way Thinkbachs...LOVE the fake Rolex...now, that SHOULD be hung in a museum!

jmd33

This is actually a very interesting semantical issue. Many of us are on both the rep and gen boards. To me, the term "fake" has a very negative conotation - so, typically in rep friendly environments the term fake is not used.

To me it is like building a Ferrari on a Fiero frame with a 4 banger in it vrs. building a replica AC Cobra with a 427. While both might be "fakes," there is a big difference.

Since I would buy either, it really makes no difference to me ;)

Edited by jmd33

ThinkBachs

Sometimes it's so hard to tell that it doesn't really matter...

epic-boobs.jpg

mulder

Cheap Casio? You havent priced them lately have you?

I was quoted $400 for a Casio. I could have bought 3 PAMs from Robert for that if you included postage.

David

Tinstar

epic-boobs.jpg

Some fakes look damn good...and you're right...sometimes, it just really doesn't matter! LOL

watchmetick

I think the term has more to do with what you are trying to convey. If you are trying to pass it off as a Gen, then its a fake. If you are proud of it, and telling others that it isn't a gen, but a high quality watch resembling the gen, then it's a replica. If you simply dont mention it to anyone, it doesnt much matter either way. The intent is what drives the term I think. I never hear the term replica when dealing with watches until I found this board.

Fred Mertz

In the real world, I think a replica is generally an authorized reproduction, whereas a fake is unauthorized.

jmd33
In the real world, I think a replica is generally an authorized reproduction, whereas a fake is unauthorized.

I'm not sure I agree with that. Shelby is still making the old style Cobras in Las Vegas, but most of the ones you will ever see on the street are replicas. Shelby never authorized these reproductions so I guess you could call them "fakes" - but it just doesn't feel right if someone put in that type of effort building theirs.

Edited by jmd33

Baldrick

Generally accepted terms.

Replica = Fully sanctioned copy of piece by original MANUFACTURER, such as AC Cobra / or other car marques / industrial items. ( interchangeable with reproduction )

Reproduction = Non sanctioned copy of time elapsed copyright artwork by dead artist or defunct company , Van Gogh / Chiparus bronze / Borchardt pistol / Auburn / Duesenberg ( interchangeable with replica ).

Fake = Non-sanctioned / unauthorised copy of item involving THEFT of IP and brand logo / original design / patent / copyright. ( NOT interchangeable in ANY sense )

We buy fakes gentlemen B)

Brightlight

+1000 Baldrick.

Replica cars are something different, they are made to look like the originals but are not badged as such. Homages in other words.

JoeyB
Replica = Fully sanctioned copy of piece by original MANUFACTURER, such as AC Cobra...

As correctly stated earlier in this thread, there is no, and never was any "sanctioned copy" of an AC Cobra.

solkryssare

Our watches are fakes and we are just kidding our self calling them replicas.

Baldrick
Our watches are fakes and we are just kidding our self calling them replicas.

+1 Sol, however there's nothing greatly wrong with fantasising, calling them reps on the fora does no harm, but we shouldn't lose sight of the fact that we can only gild the lily so far !

Baldrick
As correctly stated earlier in this thread, there is no, and never was any "sanctioned copy" of an AC Cobra.

Wrong again Bawbag.

Shelby Sanctioned Cobra

Back in the United States, Shelby American was well under way with the development of a heavily revised, big-block engined version of the Daytona Coupe. The Ford backed project was halted when the team learned that the 1966 World Championship would disputed for prototypes only. After less than two, highly successful, years the Cobra Daytona project came to an end. Shelby and Miles turned their attention to the Ford GT40, resulting in overall wins at Daytona, Sebring and Le Mans. Pete Brock continued to design and engineer racing cars and is also a highly accomplished photographer. In addition to the six original Daytona Coupes, two further cars were built in England along the same lines and with consent from Shelby. Today the Shelby Cobra Daytona Coupe ranks as one of the most desirable racing cars in the world. Recently a Brock and Shelby sanctioned replica has become available that allows us mortals to experience the thrills of driving an American legend.

Klink
Generally accepted terms.

Replica = Fully sanctioned copy of piece by original MANUFACTURER, such as AC Cobra / or other car marques / industrial items. ( interchangeable with reproduction )

Reproduction = Non sanctioned copy of time elapsed copyright artwork by dead artist or defunct company , Van Gogh / Chiparus bronze / Borchardt pistol / Auburn / Duesenberg ( interchangeable with replica ).

Fake = Non-sanctioned / unauthorised copy of item involving THEFT of IP and brand logo / original design / patent / copyright. ( NOT interchangeable in ANY sense )

We buy fakes gentlemen :lol:

100% Correct, Baldrick!

Life is Good!

Klink

skintrade

epic-boobs.jpg

I have forgotten what it is we are talking about :D

midasmook
I think the term has more to do with what you are trying to convey. If you are trying to pass it off as a Gen, then its a fake. If you are proud of it, and telling others that it isn't a gen, but a high quality watch resembling the gen, then it's a replica. If you simply dont mention it to anyone, it doesnt much matter either way. The intent is what drives the term I think.

+1