Sign in to follow this  
Batespcm

Rolex what am I missing?

UmpaHimself

I am not doubting they are quality watches but the design is hardly groundbreaking

:facepalm: The design that is not so groundbreaking? Almost every single dive watch design is in some way inspired by the sub (feel free to correct). I would argue that it is because of Rolex that we have the designs we have today. I think you are looking at this in the wrong way my friend. I would say groundbreaking is the exact term I would use to describe Rolex.

Batespcm

I am not doubting they are quality watches but the design is hardly groundbreaking

:facepalm: The design that is not so groundbreaking? Almost every single dive watch design is in some way inspired by the sub (feel free to correct). I would argue that it is because of Rolex that we have the designs we have today. I think you are looking at this in the wrong way my friend. I would say groundbreaking is the exact term I would use to describe Rolex.

I agree with you 100% and in hindsight I didn't express myself correctly they were design God's and that as has been stated above by others maybe why I am underwhelmed by them as every cheap made watch and even expensive watch since has copied that design at some point. So to say poor design is indeed wrong but maybe they have ceased to be innovative kind of like how many see apple now copying Samsung when they were very much the market leader albeit over a much shorter time period than rolex held that position for.

zufir

I was in the same boat as you at first and still am. However, I do have one rolex in my collection and it's an unusual model which makes it less mainstream. Yes, I got it part because it was a ROLEX but a big part of why I got it was for the style. I don't like the the subs and the DSSD because it is too mainstream and too recognized among watch geeks and amateurs. I for myself like to go for brands that need a little bit of homework to get recognized(omega, breitling, pam, etc)

Just my 53 cents !

Planemo

I like big watches. My first rep was a DSSD and even after several months of wearing it I decided that it was for me and I was going to buy a Gen. I then got reps of the Seawolf, Sub C, Omega pumpkin C and PAM111 to try out, all of which are amazing and I still own. I still loved the DSSD though and bought another from a different manufacturer to make one DSSD which had the best bits from both. Then I sent it for further modding of the lume, pearl and other mods to make it as gen as possible from rep parts.

I wore my other watches whilst all the work was being done. Out of all the watches I have, I am now feeling that that the Sub C is a better all day every day watch, despite its relatively small size. It works everywhere on my 7.25" wrist and I have worn it non-stop over the last two weeks. I am now siting here typing this wearing my DSSD and noted, despite the perfectly sized bracelet, that it is hanging to one side which bugs me and feels 'unbalanced' to boot. Reluctantly, despite my wanting to love the DSSD so much, I have now decided I will be buying a Gen Sub C.

Yes I really like the Omega and Brietling but the Rolex glidelock is a big plus for me as my wrists swell a lot during the day and I do actually re-size it on the fly. Rolex for me has everything a watch should have and, lets face it, the branding that comes with it. I am well aware that it is also the most-repped watch in the world but at the point when I own the gen, I won't care. I can wear it everywhere and it will be something that I know myself is gen, and will be proud to hand down to my son given that I will have certainly worked for it.

Rolex, despite the abundant reps, still have the best gen re-sale values and IMO are the best of the 'mainstream' watch manufacturers that produce a wearable, useable watch that retains value. If someone likes the aesthetics of the watches Rolex produce, I really can't see a reason not to go for one.

Bigcountrykris

Get a TC sub then see what you are missing.

Daywatch

Love them, summary could be:

- they just look/feel great on the wrist

- precise and fast, almost instinctive readability;

- fantastic lume at night

- in-built, fast-setting and 100% reliable 60-min stopwatch or

countdowntimer on the submariners/seadwellers

- variety from vintage to modern to GMT´s and Explorers

- rep-wise: reliability compared to Chronos

- easy waterresistance compared to others

PhillyRock

I thought Rolex was the "Grail" for watches from what I saw in moves. Had a Hulk sub for 3 weeks, wore it 3 times and it wasn't me.

Now I only like the Daytona.

BC1221

i used to hate rolexes too. they never did much for me.

i used to be in to really big watches.

even tried out a SubC and hated it.

i then picked up a pretty decent 16610 and fell in love. it prob gets the most wrist time out of any of my watches aside from my new 1680 (vintage sub).

now i want a vintage daytona and a classic seadweller.

40mm is apparently the perfect size for my skinny wrist.

i have a few omegas that get in the rotation (PO, SMP, Speedy) but theyre all slowly becoming box queens.

im gonna try another big watch and see how it goes. getting a Hublot King Power. still not sure i can pull it off. if i cant, ill just C&R it. :lol:

wether you love them or not, i think a rolex should be in everyones collection. esp a rep collection.

its just such a classic piece in both gen and rep worlds. no collection is complete without it imo.

still not a fan of the ceramic designs. they just look flat and stubby imo.

try out a good 16610. i bet youll love it. everyone does. i mean, its literally the most popular luxury watch in the world.

onionbag

So, what do you have against "Everton?" (sic)

Bloody hell.................I hate gramming and speller.

Please, feel free to correct me.

ShovelnTC

There's no answer for this as it is just a taste thing.

cuchulain36

You wouldn't be the first one to not get why people like Rolex there is a fairly sizable group who don't care for the brand or their watch designs at all. The only two I like are the Sub and Milgauss.

TheInthusiest

Edited by TheInthusiest

George.

I didn't understand the rolex thing for a long time. I'd go so far as to say I hated all rollies. I'm not sure what changed for me but I think seeing an LV sub in the flesh might have done it.

Don't force yourself to like them, let it happen organically - I have no doubt something will catch your eye ;)

Pseudonym

Rolex is like a virus.

It starts with a little infection, then quickly spreads... For me it started with a gen then escalated in to a few phases. For instance, my goal was to own a defining model from each period... Until present situation of course. All I have left are 2 modded 1680s, a super dooper franken 16800 & my gen 116710LN. :(

plankton

You must like the DSSD??? Who doesn't ?????

My favorite rolex for sure! I did add some color though, just a tiny bit.

2ea39c73-7391-4ad8-a59a-0c60d75b772b_zps0adf7697.jpg

StormyNight
All I have left are 2 modded 1680s, a super dooper franken 16800 & my gen 116710LN. :(

"All"?

A lot of people would be very very happy with a collection like that!

diamante

I'm a fan of vintage GMT . My dream is to buy a 1675 gen in the future. for now I'll settle for a rep in 1675 and to a 16610.

gevetudu.jpg

Frankt8242

Didn't expect this to spark so much debate

I am not doubting they are quality watches but the design is hardly groundbreaking I guess it's like bose in the world of sound who also have am excellent marketing department when maybe the product doesn't match

If you doubt that the Role Sub design was "groundbreaking" you need to go into a Relic, or other low end watch shop...There have been literally hundreds of watches that use that design mode now...

Even though the Bp 50 fathom preceded the Rolex Sub, the sub's design was the basis for a whole lot of "dive" watches...

benjen

I didn't plan to love Rolex but when looking through pictures of two tone (ss/rg) watches, nine times out of ten the images I were drawn to were Rolexes. I was initially a bit annoyed cos I felt like I was jumping on a band wagon, but the designs, (of the datejust and daydate particularly), were really my taste. I felt like they suited someone like me, a 29 year old female who doesn't know whether she's still a girl or deemed a lady :) I want to wear something youthful but still classy looking without making a huge statement. No diamonds or ROLEXROLEXROLEX across the dial for me.

I tried looking for a less ostentatious watch but there was sod all I liked anywhere near as much.

Anyway, I read about the history of the brand, company and creator, and actually came away thinking they're really cool. Their dress models take to the sidelines really when compared to their pioneering, sporty siblings. Really interesting stuff.

Edited by benjen

GenTLe

me, a 29 year old female

Now this is something REALLY interesting! ;)

Would you like to see my watches collection? :P

Libertatia

Rolex has the best looking watches, which explains why they're most popular.... You, and many others, probably do not like them because they are 'main stream'.

GenTLe

Rolex has the best looking watches

Debatable...

Brad737

You must like the DSSD??? Who doesn't ?????

I can't stand them. Wayyyyy to much writing for my taste. I'll take a 5513 any day.

Gazzla

Can't stand them. Every time I see someone wearing a Rolex I immediately think 'Rep'.

But then again I couldn't see the point of PAMS. I thought they all looked the same. Then last week I ordered a 224 from Toro. Sigh...

RUSH2112

Rolex isn't very fashionable in the sense of AP or hublot (to some people). Rolex is classic. Some might use other terms for it but when you look at the sub or the Daytona, why change?