Sign in to follow this  
livinglegend510

IWC BP help needed!

livinglegend510

is there an easy way or any tricks or things to watch out for when re-installing the seconds hand on the movement???

dont want to break the pinion!

any help would be greatly appreciated!

thanks!!

Left Coast Guy

Hmm... I can't remember where I saw it but there is tutorial that I've seen that helped me.

I'll try to describe:

Cut a piece of paper into a 3 inch by 1/4 inch strip. Take that strip and fold it in half width-wise, so its now a 1/8 inch across. Then cut two notches on the folded edge of paper may 1/8 inch from one end. Now unfold the strip and put seconds hand on the paper, threaded through the notch you just made. I don't have a seconds hand, but should look like this:

14917590321_06920325d1.jpg

So use the paper strip to hold the seconds hand in-place, than use a tooth pick (i cut the point off) to push down on the center of the pinion once i've lined up the hand. Make sure you cover the dial with another piece of paper too, so in case you slip, you don't damage the dial; I use post-it paper and cut a sliver out to slide over the pinion.

And I'm sure, there is a more professional way to do this, but this is my cheapo homemade solution...

Daywatch

Hi, if You don´t have the proper tools the point of a BIC or ballpoint pen is able to do the job. Try not to bend it and check if it freely moves around after installing or if it touches the minute hand - might need some fine-adjustment. Use some blu tack or whatever is handy and a toothpick to secure the seconds hand so it doesn´t fly across the room. Can´t think of anything else. Good luck.

livinglegend510

Thanks for the help...wish me luck!!

livinglegend510

Thanks for the help...wish me luck!!

Mission Accomplished!!!!! :Whew:

thanks for the help!!!