Sign in to follow this  
corsa

Athaya Vintage Pilot

corsa

Well, I've been looking for a decent Flieger style watch for a while now, and came across this new release.

Some of you will know of Adrian from Athaya Vintage.

47mm, Sandblasted case, Fantastic big beveled Sapphire, Limited run of 100.

The only downside is it runs a Miyota 8215.

Anyway, I'll take some proper pics shortly.

1stwristshot.jpg

edwinowl

36771755313d67eab5f0ba8a0ba9e8d7.jpg

5073bcfee5c776e2066b0282f47bc0a3.jpg

Just put mine together. Gonna drop a Swiss or molnija in eventually but for now... These are real quality. Adrian posted this over on HF so I'm sure he won't mind me sharing on here too.

dd5116b7b71e2ff453b3bc40d919318a.jpg

baxter
applause_large.jpg

corsa

Well, there you go!!! I'm really pleased with mine, the case and crystal are a work of art!! Glad to see some others here have jumped on board and have them, I think I'm the same, if I could put a hand wind movement in it with a center seconds hand I'd be one happy camper!

Big props to Adrian for doing this. :thumbsup2:

BadPickle

Ordering mine soon :bounce:

Left Coast Guy

Mine is in the mail....hoping its arrived when I get back home this week. I just got the case kit and am putting a handwind Hamilton 4992B in there once I find a respectable one. Desperately trying to find the version with the "US Army Air Corps" etching on the movement....debating getting it done after market...

corsa

Afdaddy, that sounds like a plan, if anybody can convert mine to a Hamilton Handwind, pm me please!! keen to do this mod.

Left Coast Guy

Afdaddy, that sounds like a plan, if anybody can convert mine to a Hamilton Handwind, pm me please!! keen to do this mod.

Yeah, I'm excited for the project, going to be a pretty rare item once completed.

Here's an example of something similar on Ebay, though this one still has the original pocket watch dial fitted instead of the B-Uhr dial like yours has and mine will.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/AIRMAN-24-HOURS-DIAL-HAMILTON-4992B-GCT-ENGRAVED-US-ARMY-AIR-CORPS-/231099569211?pt=Wristwatches&hash=item35ce9b943b

And here a pic of the beautiful display back with that vintage movement in it for the lazy types:

$_57.JPG

Sorry that was way bigger than expected...

There are a few kinks to be aware of though....first, there are not a lot of vintage pocket watch movement that wind by the stem and are the right 16S size to fit the case, the best folks have identified being the Hamilton 4992B. The bummer is that the original 4992B is a 24-hour movement, not 12-hour, so you may need to convert yours to 12 hour or just deal with it. (BTW -- Homage forum has some very cool mock-ups of a 24-hr B-Uhr dial). Also, you'll be pretty lucky to find a 4992 for under $300. On the bright side, I've seen the finished watches sell for several thousand on Ebay, so they are likely worth it.

edwinowl

The other option is a molnija 3608 which run centre seconds. If you go this way you'll need new hands and display caseback which all add up. Personally the miyota does the job...... For now.

JohnG

Wow, that is an interesting reply on eBay. :)

corsa

Hey, John G, Yeah, you never know who looking at watches do you?

This watch with a display case back and a vintage hand wind movt' would be perfect. Time to start hunting I guess.

genoint
Mine is in the mail....hoping its arrived when I get back home this week. I just got the case kit and am putting a handwind Hamilton 4992B in there once I find a respectable one. Desperately trying to find the version with the "US Army Air Corps" etching on the movement....debating getting it done after market...

Take a peek over on Homage forum. Some people are having issues with the seconds pin hitting the crystal on some versions of that movement as well. You !might run into some trouble. I was going to do the same but opted for the pre-built version.

D_Chico
Wow, that is an interesting reply on eBay. :)

+1 That's pretty cool! :)

mellons

athaya's offering is superb

edwinowl

Thought this thread needed reviving. There have been some QC issues with this case but when you get it right it's well worth the effort.

Eventually got the secs hand sorted out on my 3608.

50b8b9003fd3cc5993a0cfcb8a381421.jpg

elp

Thought this thread needed reviving. There have been some QC issues with this case but when you get it right it's well worth the effort.

Looks really great!

Hmmm ... makes me want to tinker with mine a bit ... what could go wrong?

:lol:

edwinowl

6824914774eb367b646c4edd00af6ac1.jpg

Bloody PB freezing on me. One at a time. WTF.

edwinowl

Don't mess with it bro. Only took me 6 months to get this far lol.

Left Coast Guy

Well in that spirit, here's mine completed. I went with new look vs. the vintage aging on your edwinowl, though mostly out of lack of knowledge than desire for the look.

16158458645_c60ef63f2d_b.jpg16156557161_ca66434cae_b.jpg16132667236_88b7457490_b.jpg

Note, I hadn't taken the plastic off the caseback....so the mov't isn't dirty, that is just the plastic on the crystal.

I had to hand mod my hands to fit the mov't....which was a pain. The hour hand and second hand were too small for their pinions. And I had to trim the seconds pinion as it was too close to the dial. And I had to improvise a movement holder, but its complete and runs like a freight train....about as loud as one too!!

edwinowl
Well in that spirit, here's mine completed. I went with new look vs. the vintage aging on your edwinowl, though mostly out of lack of knowledge than desire for the look.

16158458645_c60ef63f2d_b.jpg16156557161_ca66434cae_b.jpg16132667236_88b7457490_b.jpg

Note, I hadn't taken the plastic off the caseback....so the mov't isn't dirty, that is just the plastic on the crystal.

I had to hand mod my hands to fit the mov't....which was a pain. The hour hand and second hand were too small for their pinions. And I had to trim the seconds pinion as it was too close to the dial. And I had to improvise a movement holder, but its complete and runs like a freight train....about as loud as one too!!

That 4992 though is stunning bro.

Left Coast Guy

Yeah, I need to take an new pic with the plastic off. It does look unreal in person. The mov't is so big, it fills up the entire display back and its so close to the display glass, that it really pops out at you when you see it.

I've actually got it on a new Ach's Pilot Strap and it looks gorgeous.

And I'm actually thinking about building another!! I've got a brass set up for a 3 piece pilot dial, so thinking if I can get my hands on some lume I could make a pretty sexy vintage dial.

BadPickle

I'll add my athaya pilot to the thread.

This is what you get from Adrian, the movement holder is for the molly3608, and the hands are the improved ones, also for the 3608..

6471BB3A-D9B0-405E-9180-F4ED063BCB6F_zpsbs6ed40f.jpg

Quick iphone pic, Overall very very happy with it :D

0698E753-AE17-42A1-9B1B-3DEAFE9348FE_zps5nlot8zp.jpg

elp

I got the fully assembled version - pictured on JohnG strap:

WP_20141229_11_02_56_Pro_zps3862b8cc.jpg

BadPickle
I got the fully assembled version - pictured on JohnG strap:

WP_20141229_11_02_56_Pro_zps3862b8cc.jpg

Nice that mate, The engravings are the only thing that I miss, did you get closed CB?

elp

Yep, closed CB as the movement is nothing special (Miyota from memory)