Sign in to follow this  
Gazzla

PAM 224 Firenze Review and Photoshoot...Pic Heavy!

Gazzla

Hi Guys

I picked up a PAM 224 Firenze Special Edition a few days ago. I posted notes and pics regarding packaging and a few initial pics here:

http://www.rwg.bz/bo...showtopic=84776

This is my first PAM, having never thought I would own one, but the 224 isn't like most PAMS. The dial is unique, without 'big' markers that weren't really my cup of tea. It's also a chrono, which IS my cup of tea. :D I've now had time to evaluate this piece and I'm pleased to say I'm delighted with it. :dingleberry-nemesis:

Here's a review with accompanying photos, but first, a history lesson...

The Gen PAM 224 is a 2005 Unique Edition of 100 watches for the Florence Boutique where Giovanni Panerai (1825-1897) started his horology business in 1860. It has a similar structure to the first generation of Luminor Chrono 44mm ( PAM 162,188 &196) but features a polished SS case and bezel and spectacular Firenze Blue dial. The caseback features an engraving of the shop front of the Florence store.

Now onto this watch:

The rep is the Noob 2013 version with a A7753 movement and is an improvement on earlier versions. It is currently the best 224 rep available.

There are some inaccuracies, but none big enough that you notice on first glance and these shouldn't put you off. You can read a more detailed review of the inaccuracies, by ALE here: http://www.replica-w...ad.php?t=107365

My initial reaction upon unpackaging was: WOW!! All the pictures and photos I'd seen whilst conducting my research didn't do the watch justice at all. THAT BLUE DIAL is THE most fantastic dial I have seen. :thumbsup:

It came with a bog standard, shitty black, faux croc strap with polished deployment. I have to say, though, that the clasp is actually quite good, with all the correct markings, but trying to put a decent, thick Asso on it may prove troublesome due to the spacing on the clasp lugs.

The CG, crown and bezel are almost spot on, but it's difficult to get an accurate comparison due to the lack of gens. The bezel and case are highly polished and I've managed to scratch them both already... :sad:

The chrono works perfectly with the usual pushers at 2 and 4, second hand at 12 and totalisers at 3 and 6. I would, however, dissuade from over using the chrono as the A7753 can be temperamental. Pulling the crown to adjust the time feels sturdy enough. Seconds at 9 work perfectly.

Also included in the package was a date pusher for the date changer at 10. This is the same as the gen and works very efficiently. The date wheel and font are as per the gen.

My overall (unexpert) evaluation is that this is an excellent rep in terms of quality and appearance. I would definitely recommend this as a purchase.

Now, onto the pics...

As I mentioned earlier, the caseback is engraved with the Florence store, albeit after the signage was changed. I have put the case on a picture of the store for comparison:

Here's a pic of Giovanni Panerai's original shop in 1860:

roebCVh.jpg

And here's the caseback:

RbA8IjW.jpg

wpIn63j.jpg

de1SLaw.jpg

The next few pics are of the case without a strap:

vMf7vrQ.jpg

LOTC5un.jpg

mN3tAA4.jpg

8G4AFAu.jpg

lwvLu7j.jpg

Here's some pics with the black deployment clasp that came with the package:

I can't reiterate how spectacular the blue dial is. It gives a different hue depending on the light source...

cnxXG7J.jpg

R9BhR4o.jpg

iHuPAhX.jpg

m9GiJ5O.jpg

ym820q6.jpg

I decide before I purchased this piece that I would put it on a tan Asso, which I picked up for 40 bucks. Initially it was VERY stiff, but after just 2 days it was like butter... :D

For the uninitiated, an Asso, or to give its full name, an Assolutamente, strap is a largely untreated piece of calf leather which is extremely comfortable. Asso straps take on colour with age and become distinctive. Assolutamente means 'absolute' or to put in plain parlance: not messed about with... :P

Here's some pics with the Asso...

jKStsmo.jpg

Here's some pics with the tan Asso.

jKStsmo.jpg

6wmOLoH.jpg

oTDB7RP.jpg

CPCfjWC.jpg

d44tZls.jpg

The lume, as you would expect with a PAM is brilliant:

6mgPFnZ.jpg

UoZhvCz.jpg

And finally, some wristies... :thumbsup:

zvgYu2w.jpg?1

zFBAzoH.jpg?1

zwkCqDt.jpg

CZddKKj.jpg

KV9TUjw.jpg

That's all folks!

Hope you enjoyed the read... :D

Gaz

N.Rico

Wow amazing mate , very good write up and very nice pictures ,

That pam it's a keeper , that blue dial it's awesome , enjoy it .

Gazzla

Wow amazing mate , very good write up and very nice pictures ,

That pam it's a keeper , that blue dial it's awesome , enjoy it .

Thank you, Sir. :D

ALE7575

Thanks Gazzla

Definitively this is a great watch and a nice replica

As you can see in my Daylaights review, all Luminor Chrono Daylight at this moment have flaws (although this is the best version available so far) but seeing the pics of Gazzla's watch I think the PAM 224 is the way to go, because the personality and the beauty of the dial can compensate the little flaws. Indeed I have not yet got an "old" Daylight (I just own PAM 326 and PAM 356) but I'm considering this watch will be my next PAM Chrono.

Congrats for the purchase and enjoy it

BTW: nice and interesting review with fantastic pics

Of course I will include this link in PAM GUIDE

Thanks again

ALE

Edited by ALE7575

Not That Rich

Great pictures and write up, thanks for sharing.

Ishmael

Thanks for posting pics Gaz. Too many PAMs I don't like - this one is far and away my favorite. So much so that its jumped up to #2 on by "buy next" list. #1 is the AP Don, of course, but a PAM as high as #2 on my list is unheard of. So well done! :thumbsup2:

Gazzla

Thanks for posting pics Gaz. Too many PAMs I don't like - this one is far and away my favorite. So much so that its jumped up to #2 on by "buy next" list. #1 is the AP Don, of course, but a PAM as high as #2 on my list is unheard of. So well done! :thumbsup2:

I never had a PAM in my top 10 until I saw this!

You will not regret it, I promise! :D

dilip

I think this post actually made me turned on to blue dials. Very nice pictures and good purchase :) But is it just me or does the 30min hand not really reset to 0?

Gazzla

I think this post actually made me turned on to blue dials. Very nice pictures and good purchase :) But is it just me or does the 30min hand not really reset to 0?

You are correct. It's called a 'floppy hand' and moves ever so slightly depending on wrist position and will sit between 12 and 1.

Inherent fault with the A7753. I can live with it, though. :)

dilip

Easy fix, i assume :) nevertheless it's really gorgeous!

ALE7575

"Wobbly hand" is not an easy fix, indeed I don't know if there is some way, and it s a problem inherent to A7753

ALE

Gazzla

Great pictures and write up, thanks for sharing.

Cheers, Sir.

stormtooper4

Looks great on the Asso . Thats a combo I'd never considered

Bonnovox

My next rep