Sign in to follow this  
LoweTimeKeeper

The Unknown Omega Ω

LoweTimeKeeper

The last few replies have so far convinced me about what my model is and why it is missing the "Geneve" logo, until someone sent me this.

Now that really confuses the hell out of me, either that or I'm just an idiot.

Frankt8242

The last few replies have so far convinced me about what my model is and why it is missing the "Geneve" logo, until someone sent me this.

That watch, with a non functioning movement is virtually worthless unless the case is solid gold, and if so it's worth maybe 75% of "melt" value of it's gold content..

Mr Stubbs

That watch, with a non functioning movement is virtually worthless unless the case is solid gold, and if so it's worth maybe 75% of "melt" value of it's gold content..

I agree with Frank (quelle surprise!) about that watch's value.

But what's your confusion? It's a 1480 without the Geneve imprint and it's in the US; all of which supports Bklynboy and Persians' explanations.

:coffee2:

LoweTimeKeeper

But what's your confusion? It's a 1480 without the Geneve imprint and it's in the US; all of which supports Bklynboy and Persians' explanations.

I honestly can't thank you all enough for your help on this timepiece! If anyone could throw out a ballpark-estimate of what this watch would be worth if I got it a new 1480 movement, I'd greatly appreciate that!

persians

I honestly can't thank you all enough for your help on this timepiece! If anyone could throw out a ballpark-estimate of what this watch would be worth if I got it a new 1480 movement, I'd greatly appreciate that!

With a running serviced 1480 movement, with a new crystal or repolished one and the original hands ( I have never seen these hands on an Omega !?!) this watch could be estimated a about 300-400$ ... 1480/1481 movements were cheap ones compared to the 5xx/6xx series ... today the same story continues ... with a 5xx/6xx series the price would be 600-800$.

Frankt8242

With a running serviced 1480 movement, with a new crystal or repolished one and the original hands ( I have never seen these hands on an Omega !?!) this watch could be estimated a about 300-400$ ... 1480/1481 movements were cheap ones compared to the 5xx/6xx series ... today the same story continues ... with a 5xx/6xx series the price would be 600-800$.

So you're saying that if one were to invest @ $300-400 in the rehab of it it, would then be worth $300-400....Yeah...OK...Isn't that what I just said...???... :giggle: :giggle:

persians

So you're saying that if one were to invest @ $300-400 in the rehab of it it, would then be worth $300-400....Yeah...OK...Isn't that what I just said...???... :giggle: :giggle:

Exactly .... :stars: Some watches have just a sentimental value and there are just worth the money you put on the service to seen them running ....

LoweTimeKeeper

Exactly .... :stars: Some watches have just a sentimental value and there are just worth the money you put on the service to seen them running ....

I have yet to find a replacement movement, but I did get the stainless steel polished and the crystal! She looks great now!

razyw0.jpg

Mr Stubbs

It's beautiful! I'll give you my opinion, which if you add $1.50 will buy you a coffee. :)

Don't sink more money into it. It has a nice patina. Some strange individuals hereabouts would toss a new case & crystal into a sack of rocks and nails and tumble them all day to achieve what you have right now.

At this moment it looks the part of an heirloom gift from your grandfather.

I say, mission accomplished!

LoweTimeKeeper

It's beautiful! I'll give you my opinion, which if you add $1.50 will buy you a coffee. :)

Don't sink more money into it. It has a nice patina. Some strange individuals hereabouts would toss a new case & crystal into a sack of rocks and nails and tumble them all day to achieve what you have right now.

At this moment it looks the part of an heirloom gift from your grandfather.

I say, mission accomplished!

The wonderful thing is that the old man who polished it did it for $0.00! He just wanted me to "have something to be proud of and have it shine a little". I'll never forget that.

Edited by LoweTimeKeeper