Sign in to follow this  
LoweTimeKeeper

The Unknown Omega Ω

LoweTimeKeeper

So my grandfather gave me this Omega recently. I have been searching the internet far and wide to determine was model this is. It looks EXTREMELY similar to their Geneve line from the early 70s, but the odd thing is, is that it doesn't say Geneve. It uses an old 1480 movement, and other than that, I can't tell what this is. Can anyone help me out here?

10527646_10203682482456374_5502374450227160032_n.jpg?oh=611e5e1d21f0c47898c6e890ab78c14e&oe=54721434

10382654_10203695443460391_7939898966453835676_n.jpg

Edited by LoweTimeKeeper

TheInthusiest

ITS A REP!!!

LOL jk.

I have no idea :lol: hopefully someone can help! Haha

fetasigma

could be a Tressor wich was a version made for the Latin markets

trailboss99

There are so many 70's Omegas out there it's hard to tell for sure. From the front it looks like some kind of Sea Master. Any chance of a shot of the caseback?

Noodle_oh

Not sure either. Have you checked with Omega directly? You may be able to send them caliber number, etc. and get info. Also, there is an Omega forum website (google it), odds are someone there will know.

Mariner89

Not sure either. Have you checked with Omega directly? You may be able to send them caliber number, etc. and get info. Also, there is an Omega forum website (google it), odds are someone there will know.

+1 I be;ieve they have a service for exactly this ... identifying old heirloom watches ... just shoot them an email with pics and they'll sort ya

anfalas

My brother has a 1974 Geneve and you're right it is practically identical to yours. The only difference I can see is that the Omega logo on his is closer to the 12 marker...............and of course yours is missing the Geneve logo!

Squee

Search OMEGA AUTOMATIC CALIBRE 1480 DATE GOLD TONE in google, it should help you !

Frankt8242

I have examined a lot of vintage Omega movements over the years, but have never seen one that is as roughly finished as that one...It is entirely possible that it is indeed a fake...

I'm not saying it IS, but knowing the degree of fakery that was rampant back then, it's entirely possible...

A quick inquiry at Omega will tell the tale...

Upon further research, i have discovered that a 1480 was indeed an Omega cal, but again, the finish on that one is a bit rough...

Edited by Frankt8242

Noodle_oh

PM'd you some links, including an Omega database lookup.

Tyche

Looks similar to the Omega Tresor

Frankt8242

One more tip:

A lot of watches of that age have had the dials redone at some stage of their lifetime, and not every dial refinisher faithfully duplicated every dial correctly...

A somewhat common way to determine if it's been refinished would be a tiny niche on the edge of the dial, usually at the 3:00 position...Many dial houses used that method to ascertain proper alignment of the printing...not always, but frequently...\

Looks like this one with the "Geneve" removed...

1456032d1397430948-omega-cal-1480-1481-forgotten-movement-%24_57-2-.jpg

Edited by Frankt8242

Frankt8242

.dupe

Edited by Frankt8242

LoweTimeKeeper

.dupe

Well, the movement is genuine, but it still puzzles me as to what model this is.

onzenuub

REFERENCE OR CASE NUMBER:

To find watches from 1946 to the present, please enter the number which is engraved on the inside of your watch's case back:

• Without a space and without letters, for watch references with 3, 4 or 5 digits (for instance 738, 2444 or 14381)
  • Without a space and without letters but with a dot ( . ) after the first 3 digits, for references with 6 or 7 digits (for instance 145.022 or 396.1122)
  • With an additional zero or a wildcard (*) if you cannot find your watch, for references with 6 digits (for instance, if you cannot find 145.022 try 145.0022 or 145*22)

To find watches from 1988 to the present, please enter the product identification code (PIC) which can be found on the guarantee card and in catalogues (the number is not engraved on the watch):

• Without a space and without letters but with a dot ( . ) after the first 4 digits, another dot ( . ) after the first 6 digits and "00" (double zero) at the end (for instance 3570.50.00).
  • With a wildcard ( * ) after the 4 first digits (for instance 3570*)

http://www.omegawatches.com/planet-omega/heritage/vintage-watches-database

sconehead

To find watches from 1946 to the present, please enter the number which is engraved on the inside of your watch's case back:

• Without a space and without letters, for watch references with 3, 4 or 5 digits (for instance 738, 2444 or 14381)
  • Without a space and without letters but with a dot ( . ) after the first 3 digits, for references with 6 or 7 digits (for instance 145.022 or 396.1122)
  • With an additional zero or a wildcard (*) if you cannot find your watch, for references with 6 digits (for instance, if you cannot find 145.022 try 145.0022 or 145*22)

To find watches from 1988 to the present, please enter the product identification code (PIC) which can be found on the guarantee card and in catalogues (the number is not engraved on the watch):

• Without a space and without letters but with a dot ( . ) after the first 4 digits, another dot ( . ) after the first 6 digits and "00" (double zero) at the end (for instance 3570.50.00).

http://www.omegawatc...atches-database

...referencecasenumberwhore...:P

LoweTimeKeeper

http://www.omegawatc...atches-database

...referencecasenumberwhore... :P

I apologize friends for the delay, classes have resumed at my University and I haven't gotten the chance to look, until now. The reference number is "1660098". The movement is a genuine 1480 movement, yet I cannot find it in the archives on their website. What am I to do?

1zn9b9u.jpg

Edited by LoweTimeKeeper

Mr Stubbs

As I always say, "I may be doing this wrong, but..."

When I enter 166.0098 into Omega's search engine as Onze described, this is the result:

Untitled_zpsb58798dd.jpg

To quote a member at watchuseek (google "omega geneve caliber 1481" and read the top result),

"I used to own a dress Geneve powered by a 1481. By your chart I THINK it was 166.0098."

I agree with Frank, which is easy because Frank's always right.

It's likely a Geneve which was refurbished in the past 40-plus years.

LoweTimeKeeper

When I enter 166.0098 into Omega's search engine as Onze described, this is the result:

Untitled_zpsb58798dd.jpg

To quote a member at watchuseek (google "omega geneve caliber 1481" and read the top result),

"I used to own a dress Geneve powered by a 1481. By your chart I THINK it was 166.0098."

Here's the thing, the movement is a giveaway that it's NOT that model. That has a 1481, while mine has a 1480.

Mr Stubbs

Here's the thing, the movement is a giveaway that it's NOT that model. That has a 1481, while mine has a 1480.

When you look up articles on 1480 it is constantly listed as 1480/1481. You'll notice the difference in description is the number of jewels: 1480 has 17, 1481 has 21. I'll make a playful analogy. It's like buying a Ford with a 2.3 litre engine instead of a 2.0 litre when they may be the same engine but one is bored out a bit more.

Hope you can settle the issue. It's exciting not quite being sure though.

Cheers! :)

bklynboy

When you look up articles on 1480 it is constantly listed as 1480/1481. You'll notice the difference in description is the number of jewels: 1480 has 17, 1481 has 21. I'll make a playful analogy. It's like buying a Ford with a 2.3 litre engine instead of a 2.0 litre when they may be the same engine but one is bored out a bit more.

Hope you can settle the issue. It's exciting not quite being sure though.

Cheers! :)

17j version was intended for US market to avoid duty on any movement with over 17 jewels

21j version was marketed throughout the world except in US, they are otherwise identical

In addition the Omega vintage d/b is not definitive, there are often variations within a model series

As others have mentioned you can write to Omega and request an extract from the archives, takes a month or so and cost $80

Mr Stubbs

^This makes perfect sense. The 1480 is the US version of the 1481 for the reasons described.

I doubt they're overly concerned about their online lookup delineating US sub-models from the world versions. I wouldn't be surprised if the American version deleted the "Geneve" imprint intentionally. Swiss quality may have been less of a selling point in America than in Europe. In 1971 America was disinclined to buy BMW's and Porsches and Mercedes products. Hard to believe today.

But Im speculating and I digress!

Pay the $80... :lol:

persians

This look effectively like an Omega Genève from the period after 1969 when they had to clear the name Genève from these watches because they produced not enough watches in Geneva and earning from these watches was not representative enough for the Genève label to be allowed to have Genève printed on the dial ... So they moved the production of this watch to Bienne.

The same story happened to Hublot recently ... their watches have always been and are nowadays produced in the neighborhood from Nyon and they only had one office in Geneva ... The big factories from Geneva were angry about this situation and forbid Hublot to continue using the Genève Label !!!!

Edited by persians

Mr Stubbs

^ This is what makes RWG amazing. Thank you Bklynboy and Persians.

If I learn one more new thing today, I may forget how to get home.

:)