Sign in to follow this  
JohnG

Repost from RWG1 - Super Sea-Dweller

JohnG

REPOST FROM RWG1 - REVIEW OF ROLEX SEA-DWELLER TOOL KIT

So I ordered a SSD from Ruby and that hasn't arrived yet but I am checking the tracking every 20-30 minutes so that the NSA will have something to get nervous about.

In the meantime I purchased a Sea-Dweller Took Kit from an eBay seller with hundreds of transactions and 100% positive feedback. He sells a lot of these and I figured, if they are fake he can't be fooling EVERYONE, right? I purchased BIN and paid PP w/ cc and then in payment details I saw that the seller is... Chinese! So I guess he IS fooling everyone. Either that or a dude in China has access to dozens of gen kits weekly and they are only worth $40 plus about $3 shipping.

If you have been wondering since the beginning, WHY? the simple (and honest answer) is, to get chicks of course. Isn't that the real motive behind everything we do in life (our members of the "other" persuasion excluded of course).

So today I received my kit in the mail and I could tell the mailman in my teeny tiny little rural Spanish town is dying to know what this package is so I say, "this is from China!" And he says, "yes I saw all the stamps..." Big silence. "I have been really anxious to get this," I finally say, and after signing, I disappear inside. Hahaha!

I don't have an expensive camera but I have tried to do the best job I could with my old Canon Powershot. Let's see what we have here:

The kit really only has one tool that I can see - it is that little silver thing at the top. The rest is filler. This is how it looks when you open up the vinyl wallet-like thing (do they really think anyone carries these around?). Mine is going straight into the drawer and in twenty years my kid will find it and promptly lose the screwdriver and when I finally notice two years later I will be really [censored]. Okay, so it looks nice but would Rolex ever use vinyl? Ah, but maybe the gen is designed to get wet? - for all I know this is an "ultimate super" tool kit.

1-2.jpg

So I have never held a gen Rolex in my hand much less a tool kit. Hell, I have never held a rep either. But my intuition, my gut, my whole being, tells me that when I hold this little link thing (not really sure what it is) in my hand, it FEELS like a gen! It has a very nice brushed ss surface but is polished on the sides. It really is quite cool, whatever it is.

2-1.jpg

Ok, let's see the back side (or maybe it is the front)... It has markings - but are they correct? Who knows.

4.jpg

This I can identify. It is a screw driver on one side and a little punch on the other - for changing screws and pins would be my guess.

5.jpg

eBay seller calls this a "translation" book - it has some stuff about Rolex and the COSC testing and then they repeat it in a bunch of languages.

6.jpg

7.jpg

I dive but I haven't looked at a dive table since I took my cert course back in 96. And even if I used one, would I trust a rep? Better to trust the batteries in my dive computer. But the finish is nice, cc type feel - obviously water-resistant (nothing is waterproof, only varying degrees of water-resistant). Could have it tested I suppose.

8.jpg

In conclusion, the pros are that it looks cool, nobody that I know personally has ever seen one of these so I won't get called out on my tool kit, and that screw driver might come in handy for my Ray Bans (gens). Hell, maybe I will get laid with the kit - that's why we're really in this after all.

The cons are that I don't know what the link thing is for (but it is cool) and I won't ever use the this kit after I photograph my SSD with it. I don't care for the vinyl and the translation book, though very thorough, has no Esperanto translation. But these are points that most of us don't really care about so all in all this is a great kit for the money. I am pretty sure only a Rolex WIS (whatever the [censored] THAT is) could call you out over this, and it will be really hard for even them to do it when it is sitting in your desk drawer under the box of staples and on top of a bunch of utilities bills.

Thanks to all those who have collaborated in my exhaustive research effort.

JuanG

Massimo

A lot's changed since you posted that one, John, I reckon you're WIS yourself now! I'd quite like the screwdriver tool, although once your watch is adjusted after purchase I don't think it would get used much. I also got a top tip from somewhere about using a wooden cocktail stick or similar for the fine adjustment in the clasp to save scratching if you slip.

By the way, a quick eBay search reveals that stocks of these genuine Rolex kits are still in plentiful supply from a seller in Hong Kong.

JohnG
A lot's changed since you posted that one, John, I reckon you're WIS yourself now! I'd quite like the screwdriver tool, although once your watch is adjusted after purchase I don't think it would get used much. I also got a top tip from somewhere about using a wooden cocktail stick or similar for the fine adjustment in the clasp to save scratching if you slip.

By the way, a quick eBay search reveals that stocks of these genuine Rolex kits are still in plentiful supply from a seller in Hong Kong.

Yup - I thought it was fake, but the guys on RWG.cc all said gen. There is a guy on the gen forums who claims to be selling gen boxes - mostly Rolex and Omega, w/ booklets, (everthing except papers) that he says are gen and they let him stay - so maybe it's true - he has been there for many months... anyway, the prices are not THAT much more than the fake box sets...