Sign in to follow this  
Horlogeman

What do you guys think of it...

Horlogeman

Yesterday I received a parcel from HK with two watches. I had to pay +/- $ 50.00 taxes for it. Package wasn't opened by the customs (although they can also repack it very good, so maybe it was). I send the TD an e-mail for a solution not even spoke of a discount or refund for it. The TD has told me they have a low profit so I just have to take it.

I can understand... But...

Why do this TD can refund when the watch has been seized by the customs then? There is a low profit? I am dealing with this TD for a long time bougth 10+ watches from him/her.

If I was the TD I would have say a 10% or maybe $ 25.00 or something discount on the next order, just to keep my loyal customer satisfied. But they don't....

I am not going to call the name of the TD because it's not a really big problem, it's just that I don't understand why they can refund a complete parcel when it has been seized but when I need to pay for it they can not make a sort of solution...

Please let me know what you think of it, or maybe you had the same thing with another TD?

Please let me know!

Edited by Horlogeman

narikaa

Unless it incurred fees due to stupidity on the suppliers part in the declaration...then why?

If they g'tee replacement on seizure why does that infer indemnity for anything/everything else?

SSTEEL

Just take the hit, as you say, you have done quite well up until now.

flyr

I would say you were lucky they were not assessed for tax on gen watches or seized outright.

You have had a bunch of other shipments get by unscathed, you just were unlucky this time.

I don't think any dealer takes responsibility for the actions of the tax department in your country or mine.

Hopefully your future shipments will make it through without fees.

Good luck!

Electron17

Occasionally I get charged an import duty, sometimes I don't. Just count it lucky that the previous orders got through duty free. Yes it is annoying having to pay those extra amounts but just be glad you got a good watch which could have been seized for being contraband. Once it leaves the TD it is really your responsibility for customs etc. The TD has no obligation to pay anything towards the tax charged in your country. That is between you and your customs dept. If you check all the sales threads on the M2M section everyone says that customs issues are for the buyer, why should it be any different when buying from a TD? This is just one of the hazards of this hobby. Just take it on the chin and move on.

BadPickle
Occasionally I get charged an import duty, sometimes I don't. Just count it lucky that the previous orders got through duty free. Yes it is annoying having to pay those extra amounts but just be glad you got a good watch which could have been seized for being contraband. Once it leaves the TD it is really your responsibility for customs etc. The TD has no obligation to pay anything towards the tax charged in your country. That is between you and your customs dept. If you check all the sales threads on the M2M section everyone says that customs issues are for the buyer, why should it be any different when buying from a TD? This is just one of the hazards of this hobby. Just take it on the chin and move on.

This^^^

That's just how it is pal. I personally have paid import tax twice out of about 30 purchases in the last few years, not a bad average IMO.

Just suck it up H.

Daywatch

As many others I´m paying between $50 and $70 for each t-shipment and glad they have it, so taking all in consideration it was still fair - at least You got them.

For the TD seizure is kind of a clear business in single cases, would they have to deal with specific tax-charges for each country they would have to hire somebody else just for that and reflect in the price. So it better stays as is.

Better luck next time.

ShovelnTC

To be honest I find it hard to believe that any TD's cover seizure costs at all but to our benefit some do.

But, I would never expect them to cover taxes at all, I import many items apart from Reps and all of the others are legit items, sometimes I get stung with taxes sometimes I don't but that's the way it is, any supplier selling on-line legitimately will tell you that you are responsible for duties and taxes.

dalboy

$50 to pay and 10 + watches so far .. averages out @ $ 4 per watch ..

Christ man i lose more than that down the back of the sofa ..

Its part of the risk you run in the rep game ..we have all been hit at one time or another .. why a thread about it !

Dal.

TheSav

If I was a TD I would tell all the numpties where to go!!!!

greg_r

Yup - happens to all of us occasionally. Not a big deal - pay it and get on with your life. The dealer is not responsible for customs charges.

Wriggles

If I was a TD I would tell all the numpties where to go!!!!

This.

Suck up and deal. Why anyone thinks a TD or anyone selling online is liable to pay for your taxes is beyond me. Anything purchased online can be subject to tax and duty, if you don't realise that you shouldn't be using the internet

adinamos

Dal.

Totally agreed. Just take the hit and go on.

masmannan

I sold a watch part via M2M to a fellow Member who happens to also be a TD for watch straps.

The item failed to meet the specifications and I refunded the Member and gave an extra sum of money to pay for the return carriage.

4 weeks later I get a note from RM wanting £25 for customs & admin fees.

Since then I recommend what I want written on the custom declaration. Its perhaps not full proof, but gives me peace of mind.

RUSH2112

I bought a gen steinhart direct from manufacturer earlier this year. A couple of months later I received a bill to pay duty on it. Do you think steinhart will pay this bill for me? No.

JohnG

It is ironic that you are better off if customs actually seizes the watch, I get where you are coming from, but it is the custom (no pun intended) that if you get hit with customs tax, that's on you, for no other reason than that in all other transactions in life, the BUYER pays the taxes.

:)

onzenuub
$50 to pay and 10 + watches so far .. averages out @ $ 4 per watch .. Christ man i lose more than that down the back of the sofa .. Its part of the risk you run in the rep game ..we have all been hit at one time or another .. why a thread about it ! Dal.

You should clean your sofa.

Baldrick

Aren't you the 100 emails nugget that Narikaa fukked of his customer list, now you want TDs to compensate you for your importation of fake goods, why do we have to put up with numpties like you?

I can smell a disputed future PP transaction on the wind :B):

onzenuub

Yesterday I received a parcel from HK with two watches. I had to pay +/- $ 50.00 taxes for it. Package wasn't opened by the customs (although they can also repack it very good, so maybe it was). I send the TD an e-mail for a solution not even spoke of a discount or refund for it. The TD has told me they have a low profit so I just have to take it.

I can understand... But...

Why do this TD can refund when the watch has been seized by the customs then? There is a low profit? I am dealing with this TD for a long time bougth 10+ watches from him/her.

If I was the TD I would have say a 10% or maybe $ 25.00 or something discount on the next order, just to keep my loyal customer satisfied. But they don't....

I am not going to call the name of the TD because it's not a really big problem, it's just that I don't understand why they can refund a complete parcel when it has been seized but when I need to pay for it they can not make a sort of solution...

Please let me know what you think of it, or maybe you had the same thing with another TD?

Please let me know!

It is importtax. You do the import so you pay.

Gazzla

Its part of the risk you run in the rep game ..we have all been hit at one time or another .. why a thread about it !

Dal.

Do you want to sell your sofa? :giggle:

Genius

Dal.

:rofl: I was going to ask the same thing

MetalMickey

Taxes are a hazard of the hobby and entirely your responsibility.

Gazzla

Dal.

:rofl: I was going to ask the same thing

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Horlogeman

Ho stop! I think you guys misunderstand...

I was just curious and told how I would solve it when I was a dealer.

No hard feelings to nobody, if I wanted to kick the ass of the TD I would have called a name out.

But this is something small.

I know this sh#t can happen, I also know that customs can take a package it's part of the risk.

But I just not understand when they have so less profit that they can refund a complete shipment when it is taken by customs and don't offer a solution or something when the package get extra fees/taxes.

I also not going to say what's on the packinglist, because it will tell exactly who the dealer is (they always use the same thing).

But I believe they have calculated on what's on the packinglist.

Again I am happy that I have received the watches don't misunderstand me!

And I am not pissed or something I was just wondering....

court

Just pay up and be thankful that some TDs cover customs losses. If your chain of thought achieves any movement it will be the loss of that privalige not the introduction of another.

The margins are small perhaps because of the coverage of customs losses.

Gift horse and mouth and all that.