Sign in to follow this  
Phizzy

Custom Strap - First Attempt

P4GTR

it came out very nice. Usually these "first strap" threads are like looking at a car accident. Shame you didnt have anything left for a keeper, wish I had something to send you but that leather is pretty unique looking.

TK01

Feel free to give me a sample so I can rep it for you and you can get the credit :) great job my friend

Phizzy

Cheers all, made up a keeper for it this evening out of some other leather. By no means a close match but came out pretty well.

PSX_20140924_211344_zps6qnjbrsn.jpgPSX_20140924_211456_zpspmnuxy0y.jpg

kleber555

looks great mate!

Lt. Dan

Very nice

Phizzy

Thanks again all for your input. It'll shortly be on its way to BC for his PAM 005 so will look forward to his review.

I've made a start on the next one and will post up pics when it's done.

Helldiver

Really nicely done. Yes please post the next one!

Phizzy

Strap attempt number 2 almost finished. What do we all think?

PSX_20140925_230833_zpsnnvkdtld.jpgPSX_20140925_230934_zpslhpkxhto.jpgPSX_20140925_230714_zpsb6okmbxg.jpg

Genius

Second attempt looks even better, don't suppose you are looking for another reviewer? :giggle:

George.

These look amazing mate, keep em coming!

Phizzy

Cheers fellas, this second is lovely and soft. Ordered a few more tools to help refine the finish.. Strap end punch, oval punch for the buckle holes and a spare buckle for pics so I don't have to keep taking mine off.

If you were buying a handmade strap like this, would it be essential for it to come with the strap tubes? Buckle?

Genius

Cheers fellas, this second is lovely and soft. Ordered a few more tools to help refine the finish.. Strap end punch, oval punch for the buckle holes and a spare buckle for pics so I don't have to keep taking mine off.

If you were buying a handmade strap like this, would it be essential for it to come with the strap tubes? Buckle?

Normally if I'm getting a new strap I would transfer the buckle etc over from the old one as they would already have the correct markings etc. but it would depend if coming from a deployant to a normal buckle then would need new ones

Helldiver

Tubes are not necessary I think. If you have only PAMs why not but in my case I use the 24mm straps on other watches too and the tubes are a deadtrap if the lugs are not drilled!

Phizzy

good point hell about the potential issue if someone unwittingly jumped straight in without realising.

Was going to give some thought to pricing, factoring in materials etc.. and wasn't sure whether tubes should be included as standard (appreciate were only talking a couple of pound) - guess tubes/buckles are 'extras'.

Seems to be huge variations in handmade strap prices, guess it comes down to a few factors:

1) craftsmanship

2) business or hobby (i.e. value of the makers time)

3) materials

4) fully custom or 'stock'

5) straight / tapered strap (getting the taper spot on and neat i'm finding 'tricky' - open to tips from any of you expert strap makers out there :))

BC's straps in the post so keep an eye out for the first hands-on review in a week or two.

Helldiver

Hopefully it stays a hobby because if you count the hours you need to make a strap and by example the labour cost at 15$/h (that's cheap) by example, you reach easily 50 to 80$ per strap not counting the material and tool investment!

(Making a strap in less than 3-4 hours that would be a rush job I think!?).

Craftsmanship also count at a certain point and the number of orders too. I am sure that certain strap maker limit the number of orders by keeping high prices. (I must admit that I have problem buying strap more expensive than my rep.) But I find a watch beautiful mostly in combination with it strap. Straps do change the all watch perception. (My wife often accuse me to have bought a new PAM when actually I just changed the strap!) lol

brityis

Wow - for a first attempt that looks amazing!

Phizzy

Yes it will always be just a hobby I feel. Something to do in the evenings after the kids go bed rather than watching TV etc..

Realistically, if I got to the point where I was happy to sell what I was making, I'd probably make up a batch and sell them off rather than taking fully custom orders necessarily. That way I could keep material costs lower and not have to go and get lots of different types of leather for instance.

Phizzy

Here's a few more I'm working on.

1) black with cream stitching, straight 24mm with fixed keeper

2) rust leather with tan stitching, 24/22mm tapered with floating keeper

3) chocolate leather with khaki stitching, 24/22mm tapered with floating keeper.

All around 125/80 length.

That's it until my next batch of leather arrives. Please let me know what you think.

IMAG0401_zpsz0wl2wpg.jpgPSX_20140927_085428_zpspfuffj4z.jpgPSX_20140927_085617_zpsi5o2dtsx.jpg

Helldiver

Nice result!!

What do you use to make the pre-stitching holes?

Edited by Helldiver

Phizzy

I use these. Tool on the right runs along edge of strap and cuts out a shallow channel.

IMAG0406_zps8dos6uw3.jpg

Helldiver

Thanks for the pic.

Your strap are really nice. Do you have a special knot for the end stitch (don't know myself how to do it to keep the tension)

Phizzy

I just backstitch over the last stitch then cut and melt the end of the thread and then blob it down on the leather while still hot.

The thread is waxed and is tight in the holes all the way along as the prong tool doesn't actually remove any material, you'd have to try pretty hard to bull the end back through.

Helldiver

To my point of view you have pretty much master the main points. Now it's only a question of creativity.

Hope to start myself soon but I am doing long hours at work lately and don't manage to get the time to set up my bench at home.

Have a nice weekend and we are all looking for your next creation. ;)

Edited by Helldiver

Phizzy

Thanks HD much appreciated. Still plenty to learn I feel :)

Helldiver
Thanks HD much appreciated. Still plenty to learn I feel :)

I believe you. Its a never ending story with new leather, threads, size, models, watches.......

Just a lot of fun (and grease elbow) in perspective! LOL