Sign in to follow this  
Toosmokeduptosee

My BP CrPO -with ETA 2846 high beat movement - nope - this is not a typo

Toosmokeduptosee

My BP ceramic planet ocean 45.5 "8500" that I received recently has "2846" printed on the movement.

However, it actually beats at 28.8, not the low beat 21.6 that a 2846 would traditionally beat at.

I don't yet know enough about internal watch movements...YET!! (I will learn)

But since my 2846 printed movement does beats at 28.8, I would like to know how/why?

It winds it hacks, etc, just like a 2824 or 2836.....

And no - I am not just going by QC pictures, here, so take my word for it.

I can see it, hear it, etc... I have compared it with my high beat 28.8 gen eta watch, Then listened carefully vs my seiko and orient low beat 21.6 movements.

And yes......This 2846 is definitely pumping at 28.8bph as the timegrapher in the QC pics and TD showed and claims...

A little side note - Prior to purchasing this rep, I was discussing the 8500 co-ax with sales staff at omega boutique. They told me the gen omega 8500 co-ax is pre-calibrated to 25.2bph. But When I expressed disappointment, they said that they can and do sometimes have them re-calibrated to 28.8, (even though stock is 25.2 bph). They said it could slightly impact accuracy and/or power reserve, but that this can and is sometimes done? (Probably just trying to sell a watch, but anyway......So- back to my 2846 high beat movement watch....

Anyone know the possibilities may be?

Of course I asked the TD and They just said it is a Swiss movement with 28.8 "high beat rate", so no reason to complain and that 2824 and 2836 too hard to source, They said I could return it if I want. I guess this is Fair enough,

But - /what are possible explanations here?

Is it possibly just the outside round part that the 2846 is printed on that is 2846? with everything else rebuilt differently with different "high beat" parts? Perhaps with 2836, 2824, or equivalent parts?

Is it possible this is a full 2846 with the freq somehow increased from 21.6 to 28.8 by replacing a few parts In the movement? If possible, Wouldn't this cause extra wear on the movement?

Can Anyone shed some light on how this 2846 "printed" movement can possibly beat at 28.8bph?

nunu78

Because 2846 is a High Beat Movement.

NFleischer

Dude- you must be too smoked- double post! I think the 2846 is a 21.6K movement. I don't recall seeing them in any

reps.

Toosmokeduptosee

Yea, I know about the double post. Sorry bout that, I cannot remove it. However, I reported it.

- you are correct, the 2846 "is a 21.6 slow movement". It is not a "high beat movement".

However, mine beats at 28.8.

my rep definitely has 2846 printed in it, and definitely beats at 28.8"

I will take a macro pic tomorrow,

mystery? Probably not, more likely rebuld,

I just want to know how? And if it is "safe"

J.Eric

I have a GMT IIc with a rebuilt hi-beat 2846. I used parts from a 2824.

has been running fine for 6 months now.

Toosmokeduptosee

Cool - So, you rebuilt a 2846 yourself to make it a high beat movement? Not knowing much about movements, can u help answer a few questions? - Not specifically about your get high beat movement, but about what is possible?

- Do u know What the key components/parts are to converting the 2846 to a high beat movement?

- Can this conversion from 2846 low beat to 2846 high beat be done just by making a few basic simple replacement parts?

- Or - Is a complete "overhaul" required to get the 2846 to run at 28.8 by essentially creating a "new movement"?

- How much of the 2846 movement can be kept the same as it originally was per factory?

Left Coast Guy

Asian factories having been making mov'ts with Swiss stamping for a while now. Could be that the movement was stamped 2846, but is actually something else.

SSTEEL

Asian factories having been making mov'ts with Swiss stamping for a while now. Could be that the movement was stamped 2846, but is actually something else.

This ^^ Not surprising from the rep factories, they piece together movements from whats on hand. Pubes an all :P

2846 is a low beat, some came without the hacking functionality too.

J.Eric

Cool - So, you rebuilt a 2846 yourself to make it a high beat movement? Not knowing much about movements, can u help answer a few questions? - Not specifically about your get high beat movement, but about what is possible?

- Do u know What the key components/parts are to converting the 2846 to a high beat movement?

- Can this conversion from 2846 low beat to 2846 high beat be done just by making a few basic simple replacement parts?

- Or - Is a complete "overhaul" required to get the 2846 to run at 28.8 by essentially creating a "new movement"?

- How much of the 2846 movement can be kept the same as it originally was per factory?

You need to change four pieces to make this work. I have a thread about the conversion process....

http://www.rwg.bz/board/index.php?showtopic=75345&hl=&fromsearch=1

There is a link to a detailed description of the process.

And a pic of the 2846 in the GMT IIc. I added the GMT parts from the busted clone and it has been running fine ever since.

20140414_153706_zpsapesxzjz.jpg