Sign in to follow this  
Left Coast Guy

When is it time to just give up?

Left Coast Guy

I'm too tired and frustrated to go into the details, but long story short, I bought a Pumpkin Planet Ocean from Watches International back in March and it showed up with issues. I got it repaired, but it has continued to have problem after problem. Looking back I should have replaced the movement right away, but since it was "Swiss" and i paid extra.....I kept opting to repair over replace. That was a noob mistake.

Anyway, fast-forward 6 months and I've got $600 into a $300 rep, and still have a crap watch to show for it after it stopped again this weekend. So my question to you -- When do you give up on a rep? How much are you willing to pay in repairs, etc, before you just sell it for parts and put the money towards a new one? From the older members (meaning folks that have repaired a handful or so of their collection), does it ever really pay to service a rep or are you just better off scrapping?

And honestly, at this point I don't care much about throwing WI under the bus for delivering a dud. They were really difficult over email (insisting there wasn't a problem), which is why I opted not to return to China, but looking back wish I would have.

myaz

Sorry about your problems. I have had cheap reps and expensive reps go bad so there's no rhyme or reason for me. ATM, and by coincidence, I am dealing with a $300 rep going bad.

I would have stopped before I had $300 in it because you could buy another for $300 and keep the first one for parts, like if you ding the crystal. Ain't hindsight grand?

rusty peters

I feel for you. Assuming it is not a chronograph with the A7750 movement, you have a chance at success. A sea gull movement can be found on the bay for $90ish and you can have it installed by your usual guy. Unfortunately, this will bring the total expenditure up even higher. I would do it because I couldn't stare at a watch that I had $600 into that didn't run.

graman

They're a money pit mate.

Depends on how much you like the watch.

Any emotional link?

All I can say is first choose your dealer, then choose your watch.

I've thrown $ at lost causes too, and have just kept for parts.

I also haven't gone back to dealers I've had issue with, under any circumstances.

Left Coast Guy

I feel for you. Assuming it is not a chronograph with the A7750 movement, you have a chance at success. A sea gull movement can be found on the bay for $90ish and you can have it installed by your usual guy. Unfortunately, this will bring the total expenditure up even higher. I would do it because I couldn't stare at a watch that I had $600 into that didn't run.

Yup, went the asian clone route eventually.....except the decorated movement ring on the POs causes a problem. When you tighten the movement holder in place it pushes the dial away from the movement, giving a recess date look and putting the hands too close to the face. My second watchsmith figured this out the hard way when the hour hand caught on the dial and jacked up the face.

Yeah, that's why I haven't give up so far. Pride. Beginning to feel pridefully dumb though....

UmpaHimself

It depends, if you like the watch and would end up buying another one then you should get a new movement and be done with it. If you don't really like it then sell it as a dud and maybe a tinkerer will give you a decent amount for it. I mean you've spent so much, will selling it for $150-$200 really recover any of that?

Daywatch

In my opinion there is a point with cars. bikes or reps, You just have to let it go and look forward. It´s a money-pit and will stay that way. Good thing is those $600 are still less than a standard service on any working non-chrono Omega or Breitling nowadays. The other good thing is it´s not a $6.000 gen, because there You would have to keep spending money on it.

With some exceptions I try to stay with Asian ETA´s or 21j and plan just to swap the movements should they stop someday.

mysterio

For a rep watch, I would probably stop if I needed to spend more than a quarter of what the original watch cost to have it fixed.

dannyw

if clearly a movement issue, i would just ask WI to sell me another movement and get it replaced by local watchsmitch.

I think WI will be very willing to sell. Nowadays, Swiss are too hard to come by, not sure even if the TD are sure how "healthy" are the "swiss"

sungod

First sign of trouble, you shit can it and move on......this is a rep...it not like you can just walk into a TD store or return for warranty work....it's the risk of this hobby.

Left Coast Guy

First sign of trouble, you shit can it and move on......this is a rep...it not like you can just walk into a TD store or return for warranty work....it's the risk of this hobby.

Yeah, I think this is the answer I was hoping to get from a member thats been around a few years. I'm thinking you give one good run at fixing and if it doesn't work out you sell for parts and salvage what you can. I'd just like to know what you're odds are of actually getting if fixed for good when it shows up with problems.

The thing is, the whole problem with fixing a rep is that the movement can be slapped together with makeshift parts....making it just about impossible to fix when you go to do it by the book. Like the first watchsmith I used was going to service the movement, but got it open and said it was too crappy......he wouldn't be able to stand behind his work given the quality of the parts and it would be too expensive to replace the parts that needed replacing.

wqleow

Sell it for parts or keep the parts for a franken project of your own. I usually look at it as tutorial fees. I have opened up a few watches and killed the movements with my inexperienced hands.

sungod

Yeah, I think this is the answer I was hoping to get from a member thats been around a few years. I'm thinking you give one good run at fixing and if it doesn't work out you sell for parts and salvage what you can. I'd just like to know what you're odds are of actually getting if fixed for good when it shows up with problems.

The thing is, the whole problem with fixing a rep is that the movement can be slapped together with makeshift parts....making it just about impossible to fix when you go to do it by the book. Like the first watchsmith I used was going to service the movement, but got it open and said it was too crappy......he wouldn't be able to stand behind his work given the quality of the parts and it would be too expensive to replace the parts that needed replacing.

Dude, you got $600 into a $300 rep. Don't throw good money into a rep watch when you can just buy another....do the math, $900 can get a a fairly good used gen with an implied warranty for future repairs... Anyway, don't kick yourself...just add this to your lesson learned list!

Edited by sungod

DR3M3L

Are you in the EU Afdaddy?

Left Coast Guy

No, ConUs. Appreciate the thought though Joran.

DR3M3L

No, ConUs. Appreciate the thought though Joran.

Possible to only ship the movement and install it yourself to get rid of the customs issues? I'm happy to fix it for you.

Cannibal

If it's a 45mm planet ocean, I'd be interested in buying the bracelet (and the vultures begin circling).

BentleySharp

I've recieved a dud watch once so far. It showed up malfunctioning right out of the box. It was the most inexpensive watch I've bought to date, at right around $160, and honestly I just couldn't be bothered to take the time, effort, and money to have it fixed. The TD offered to take it back for repairs/replacement but shipping was on me, and I couldn't justify A) the hassle of shipping back to China and keeping in touch with the TD about it and the cost of shipping and customs risks associated with it, B) Finding a rep friendly watchsmith in my area and bringing it there and possibly having to pay more than I'm comfortable with for a $160 replica.

In the end, I threw it in a box and there it has sat untill I find the time to take some pictures of it and list it on M2M at 60% off retail price as a brand new, but malfunctioning, watch, and I'll just let someone else bother with having it fixed.

visitor

For me, it matters how much you like it. Ive got somewhere around $600 total into a marina militare chrono. Worth it? To me.

Libertatia

I'm about $650 down in the rep game...... And I've got pretty much nothing good to show for it...... You've just been SO unlucky though with this single watch. I say try and see how much a repair would cost... It of course will be totally un-economical as you're losing even more money on a rep, but at least you'd have something to remind you of a lesson. Catch 22, you're screwed either way bud.

BobC

Shipping it back may not be a good option. I made the mistake of shipping back a sub that locked up 16 hours after receiving it. It has been on it's journey back to the TD for almost 2 full months. It made it to the final post office to go out for delivery 14 days ago and shows no movement since that time. (spent 5 weeks getting from Bejing to Gangzhou). No watch, out $400 + and no end in sight. Very frustrating.

Left Coast Guy

Shipping it back may not be a good option. I made the mistake of shipping back a sub that locked up 16 hours after receiving it. It has been on it's journey back to the TD for almost 2 full months. It made it to the final post office to go out for delivery 14 days ago and shows no movement since that time. (spent 5 weeks getting from Bejing to Gangzhou). No watch, out $400 + and no end in sight. Very frustrating.

BobC, as much as your situation sucks, its does help allay some of the "what ifs" I've had about this situation, given how it sorted out. I think in a lot of respects it ended up being a perfect storm for me as I have had repairs on other watches without nearly this much trouble.

Anyway.....it just got sold for parts. So I am done with it!

Hornet

I know how you feel, one of my reps has been a pain in the arse since it arrived, add the service costs (+£130 onto the purchase price, +£30 in postage....) and it's looking expensive; approximately $691 so far. Now I've just had to send it back again and I'm really starting to resent the watch now. But I don't want to sell it as I'll not be able to justify recouping the money I've spent......

dingle

A little too late now.........

......but who was mod?

We are here to help, but in your case, we "were" here to help.

Left Coast Guy

Sorry, not clear what you mean by "mod" for this situation.

I had taken the watch to a local watchsmith (two actually) for repair, not a modder from the forum. Both were willing to take a look, and take my money, but I'd say the level and quality of the service was terrible.