Sign in to follow this  
GenTLe

Misaligned date wheel

GenTLe

Hi all,

as sometimes it happens I'm clumsy, I made this watch (based on a2836) to fall from like 40cm. And since then, the date lost its alignment with the date window.

What may have happened? I can make it to realign tapping the watch but it's not something I'd like to do as it will kill it long term...

VuYacWq.jpg

10:10 Watch Repair

overlay came unglued

overlay is rubbing dial

overlay is rubbing movement

GenTLe
overlay came unglued

overlay is rubbing dial

Can't it be the dial feet being bent or the date change mechanism getting bent? The date looks like moving too much and not too few, so I doubt it is rubbing anything...

LightGeek

Open her up.

10:10 Watch Repair
overlay came unglued

overlay is rubbing dial

Can't it be the dial feet being bent or the date change mechanism getting bent? The date looks like moving too much and not too few, so I doubt it is rubbing anything...

DW overlay misaligned...

GenTLe

Ok, thanks, will give it a look once back from Poland :)

DR3M3L

Shouldn't be a huge problem to fix. Just remove the dial and check for the overlay! To make things easier to align I got myself one of those 3D printed movement holders with datedisk from a member here. I'll try to find a link for you :)

GenTLe

It would be nice Joran, thanks :)

DR3M3L

It would be nice Joran, thanks :)

Here you go, the overlay holder:

http://www.sculpteo.com/en/print/rolex-dwo-alignment-frame-12/mEkLF5Rt?uuid=pUxwh3f283gt6Z0XVh0kbb

And the movement holder:

http://www.sculpteo.com/en/print/eta-2836-movement-holder-for-dwo-alignment-to-13/j7rgmo3R?uuid=eDIs6vcEEBuQ3vhnjnNwde

A member from here or RWI designed it. I found this to be VERY useful!!

LightGeek

Shouldn't be a huge problem to fix. Just remove the dial and check for the overlay! To make things easier to align I got myself one of those 3D printed movement holders with datedisk from a member here. I'll try to find a link for you :)

Damn it Joran, I'm going to have to buy one of those soon. Like. Now. I'll order it in pink to honour your name badge color.

DR3M3L

Damn it Joran, I'm going to have to buy one of those soon. Like. Now.

You won't regret it. :D Just don't forget to finish it with some sandpaper, it's fresh printed!

GenTLe

Ok, this eve I opened the watch and fixed 3 problems I had on it.

1) the date wheel: it was ok, no detached DWO. It was only that when the watch fell on the ground the dial pins got slightly bend and therefore the DW was that way.

2) during my previous service to the watch I substituted the 2 reversing gears with 2 new ones gen ETA from cousinsUK, but still they were causing very stiff manual winding and if the watch was laying flat, the winding was making the counterweight to rotate... Last week I ordered some Lubeta V105 from here http://www.ebay.it/itm/400720620569 and, after a proper deep cleaning and immersion in the V105, they are now running like silk :)

3) the date change was at 23.54. You've to know that I'm a damned picky person with the jobs I do, and this was annoying me... Well now it changes the date at midnight sharp. And I'm happy :D

Cheers!

Edited by GenTLe

LightGeek

Nice job! You swapped parts so you're a full fledged tinkerer now :)

machiavegli

I'm impressed GenTle. I haven't cracked a watch that wasn't dead on the table within minutes...

-Mach

GenTLe

Thanks guys :)

It's all about being used to manual work (even if I'm an IT - both Information Tech and Italian - I started to work during school summer holidays in various places like car repairs, woodwork company, plumber company etc since when I was 12), observe, having a bit analytic mind and some correct tools :)

Of course with the plus of some horological books, internet resources and some good guys like SSteel, Rolexman etc that I bothered with my questions ;)

BC1221

very impressed.

DWO are such a pain in the ass.

i hope i never have to install one again.

GenTLe

very impressed.

DWO are such a pain in the ass.

i hope i never have to install one again.

Lol, but the DWO was ok ;) Otherwise I'd have purchased the 3d printed alignment tool ;)

GenTLe

Back on the wrist :)

5daafffd4e97e32bdd06e93e600c8efd.jpg