Sign in to follow this  
Luthier

Watch Market again.

theflyingdutchman
here agin the proof of "rep crime does pay!

How do you work out it's "crime", that must be the grossest and or most stupid comment I've ever read, do you think that dealers should provide all the services and warranties that they do for the same price as they buy, that they should be your 'personal' shopper, sniffing out the best of stuff and giving it you at lowest possible market price, if you want to avoid paying a dealer profit, get off your ass and go get them yourself, then do a CBA ( cost benefit analysis ) and fall over when you realise how much it would really cost you :Thinking:

Since when was profit a dirty word ?

Profit is not a dirty word! I work in food and 300% is just the beginning! And it is not a stupied comment at all...rep business making/selling is criminal - Or is it legal? And my comment was about the price difference local vs. what we pay... as the board dealer said at that time the price difference was not so big! And keep in mind that Luthier bought on the watch market for 36USD so that is not even the COGS! Of course the CBA is mostly beneficial for us (partly!), so the dealers should stop complaining!

Edited by theflyingdutchman

Baldrick
as the board dealer said at that time the price difference was not so big

How were you able to quantify the said dealer's margin, for all you know, his costs may have been significantly greater than other dealers, it's an unknown quantity, your comment stated that ' rep crime does pay', now we all KNOW that the hobby is illegal / therefore 'criminal', however your inference was that because the margin was greater than he stated, the act of increasing margin was 'criminal' !

Pentax

You allforgotto state demand , demand is the read on for the price higher demand higher price, reps are at highest demand now due fashion influence.

Demand fixes the price low demand low profit high demand high profit the profit is fixed by the factory if the demand is low the factory will work with less profit to get the good flowing

The retailer will only make a 100% profit were as factory can make more ... Eg product value $5,00 factory selling price $13,50 to whole seller, whole seller sales 28 to retailer and retailer sales 55 to end buyer , so if you add a Swiss eta for 135 and 7 sapphire crystal the watch value will be $198,00 that's what we are paying for a $5 watch ;-) or a Swiss eta submariner ;-) dummies we are

Luthier

Chinese factories used to buy Swiss ETAs for about $38, A7750 factory sells for about $25, plus cases/dials/hands/bracelets = factory cost of regular Sub with ETA is around $78. Dealers sell it for double price.

I'm OK with it. Do we have choice? Nope.

mulder

Example. Apple make the iPhone 4 for less than $10 US ($9.51 I think it is) yet the phone sells here for over $1000. There has to be a mark up for watches too or you would not be able to buy one. Another example. I went to a local jewelers and spotted a watch. $400 on sale, normally $500. There were two there that I liked. Within a week I got both from dealers on the Internet from overseas for less than $150 for the both. I save $650. Profit is a relative thing. Yes sometimes it's excessive but sometimes you have to think of the retailers over heads and just buy it

theflyingdutchman

I am okay with the margin, but certain dealers should stop acting as if their is not such a high mock-up! And claim, members who bought locally, are lying about local prices! Yes of course we/pay as we have no other real option!

Edited by theflyingdutchman

Baldrick
I am okay with the margin, but certain dealers should stop acting as if their is not such a high mock-up! And claim,

You didn't seem OK with the margin, you should have learned that, when you're at the bottom of the food chain, no point in asking the sharks to stop preying on you, just maintain your survival instincts and calculate the cost of swimming in their vicinity, you can only affect the outcome by moving to different waters!

Luthier
Example. Apple make the iPhone 4 for less than $10 US ($9.51 I think it is) yet the phone sells here for over $1000.

THE LATEST SHINY GADGET, Apple's Iphone 4 smartphone, for which it's charging at least $500 at retail, is built of parts that cost $187.51, according to market research firm Isuppli.

According to the tear-down the most expensive part of the Iphone 4 is the 3.5-inch LCD screen which costs $28.50. Isuppli thinks that the Iphone 4 screen must be identical to one made by LG.

It seems that Apple has managed to keep its parts cost at about $170 to $180 per unit. Isuppli's cost estimate doesn't include labour, shipping, advertising, software development or patent licensing.

The cost is based on a 16GB version of the Iphone 4 but the low costs of each componant are fairly staggering.

The Apple A4 processor reportedly is made by Samsung Electronics for $10.75 per chip.

Isuppli thinks that Geneva-based STMicroelectronics supplied the gyroscope chip at an estimated cost of $2.60, as well as an accelerometer chip used in previous Iphone versions, which has an estimated cost of 65 cents.

Other component suppliers named by Isuppli include Skyworks, a wireless chipmaker and TriQuint Semiconductor.

In 2009, Isuppli estimated that the components and materials used in the iPhone 3GS cost about $179. Since then Isuppli thinks that the materials costs for that model have fallen to $134. Thus the Iphone 4 costs a bit more to make than the earlier model.

You, guys in Aussi, pay $1000? Crazy you are... :D

narikaa

Just heard that theres a man in Louisiana who can spit clear over two greyhound buses

Luthier

Ressurecting another old thread about GZ Watch Market.

Balad1

Great pics Luthier, thanks for reposting.

Luthier

It's so funny to read 2 years old posts... You're very welcome, Ted!!!

:D

kwatch

mmm good read, the older thread as well.... thanks Luthier for posting...

Luthier

So, anyone for GZ GTG?

Baldrick

I'm up for it if you are Luth :D:thumbsup:

kwatch

never been to mainland mostly HK, but I'm up for it.

DFH

Great idea for a GTG!! :thumbsup2:

I think that is a trip I will need to make - I'm in, contingent upon the dates...

10:10 Watch Repair

So, anyone for GZ GTG?

When?

Luthier

Let's find out, how many people will sign up, then we can determine the date, that will be convenient to everyone.

sam77

WOW!!! What a nice watches luthier very elegant ,great pic's. also thanks for sharing

Luthier

Bu Ke Qi, Sam.

:D