Sign in to follow this  
LightGeek

What rep stage are you in?

What rep stage are you in?  

135 members have voted

1. 1. What rep stage are you in?

• Infancy stage - wow! rep buying mania! warming up the credit card
    • Hoarding stage - mountains of reps, good bad and ugly included
    • Curation stage - whittling down collection, identified specific tastes, still intrigued by shiny new releases
    • Retirement stage - collection minimized, not actively hunting for the next great thing anymore

myaz

Hmm. Slightly modified retirement. Not really looking for any more reps - interested in a few gens. Not reducing my collection to any great degree, though - pretty happy with what I have.

That's me as well, I call it "self actualization" :B):

Paparolf

Anything that takes my fancy!

Odyseus
I think I'm nearing the retirement stage but the only thing holding me back is I'm having a hard time letting go of crown jewels such as the Nomos rep and Montblanc Star Chrono.

I'm with you on this - paying off credit cards. Lost loads of money on selling watches I got bored with. And then I realised I could have bought a genuine Rolex/Breitling :(

I only buy watches now that I will keep eg Seiko Monster, Seiko SKX007 diver.

I might just sell all my reps a buy one decent gen watch???

dingle

No new rep or gen in 2.5 years....

I log on now just to read Baldrick's jokes and all of Demsey's post.....

Pseudonym

I'm rebuilding but with much less of a whores attitude. Quality over quantity until I get to where I want to be.

Derek Mc

Curation but edging towards retirement as I have the main cornerstones of my desires all sorted out and am now only adding the trinkets of pleasure,,,,,,

Dawg

Think I have crossed the peak in Curation stage. Have definitely slowed down but feeling content with my collection. Still keep on checking M2M but not tempted by a lot...there is still the occasional one though

Hornet

Selective stage - only buying occasionally and thinking carefully about purchases before committing. Possibly "improvement stage" i.e. Changing straps, etc....

Irishcain

On the cusp between hoarding and curation. I love the new shiny ones, have way to many to wear in a month, but still don't want to let go. However, I'm not really to psyched up to buy.

baxter

Not sure where i am with it all at the moment, still interested in the new stuff and love trawling through the respective M2M's but can't actually be arsed to pull the trigger on anything, did pre order the pelagos but my payment didn't work and i never chased it up, hopefully i'll get another burst of enthusiasm to actually buy something. Out of the stupid amount of watches that have passed through my hands over the last couple of years i've got 9 reps left.

LightGeek

I'm rebuilding but with much less of a whores attitude. Quality over quantity until I get to where I want to be.

Ah so that's what I had initially when I ordered in half dozens and dozens :) "Whores attitude"

vito1
I think I'm nearing the retirement stage but the only thing holding me back is I'm having a hard time letting go of crown jewels such as the Nomos rep and Montblanc Star Chrono.

I'm with you on this - paying off credit cards. Lost loads of money on selling watches I got bored with. And then I realised I could have bought a genuine Rolex/Breitling :(

I only buy watches now that I will keep eg Seiko Monster, Seiko SKX007 diver.

I might just sell all my reps a buy one decent gen watch???

+1.

Monster is really amazing!

yawn

No rep can interest me now.

cogwatch

I think your descriptions of the stages are really good LG. I think I'm at the Curation stage, except not so much whittling down, but rather honing my collection. I love watches too much to be satisfied with a small collection as I like a lot of variety. I have about 100 watches and I plan to keep the number up at that level but continue to hone in on the perfect 100, though I know I'll never quite get there.

I'm also at a mostly self-funding stage. I have to sell to buy. I finally sold my first watch a short while ago and have some others I'm looking to sell soon. That first one hurt, but having done it I feel it being an easier decision in the future already.

I still plan on reps being a large part of my collection, about 75% now, but the continuing rise in rep prices will affect that going forward. Lower level gens like Steinhart and others are starting to look better and better. But there are still plenty of reps in the <\= $300 range that are on my list.

elmerlo

LOL for the descriptions! :D

At the moment in phase 3, developing a serious addiction to Japanese Gens. Just ordered the Citizen AT9030-55E (H820).

I'm helping out a friend of mine though. He didn't know the reps world and is undergoing massive buying, at a rate of 2-4 watches a month of hi-quality ones. ;)

Flipper81

I am at the stage where I have the reps I really want barring 1 and have really gained an interest in microbrands that not many people would have. All gens from now on for me have to be unique and limited

rogdog

Not too many spots left in the watchbox, currently looking to trim off some of the lower end reps and slowly build up the collection with some quality reps :)

meenahman

Infant - only got 2 reps and looking to build my collection massively. Keep learning and collecting :)

Bash64

You left out the curation/migration to gen stage. Many of us are in that one I think.

Cannibal

Fulfillment stage :)

Quite happy with what I´ve got, some could be different, some could be nicer, but overall it´s a fine mix like it is 4me.

Reading and interested in everything else, in new releases and specially vintage Rolex and Panerai builds, but finally at a stage where there is no urge to buy the next one for now. Just admiring the ones You All are often showing too.

No need or want to reduce anything as well, so just thinking of someday letting go one or the other to replace by something either vintage or some yet unknown new release.

It´s definitely a good stage :) something like "Semi-retirement without downsizing"

So much this.

kleban

I'm in infancy stage but trying to control myself. Only bought two watches so far with a third likely fairly soon. I try to stay away from this place between purchases or I'd go completely crazy - there's too much encouragement! LOL

rusky27

I'm in the godfather stage........ just when I thought I was out, they pull me back in again!

Just ordered a rep from a td abstained for almost 2years and tempted by the peligos also

Edited by rusky27

greg_r

:lol:

justwhenIthoughtIwasout.gif

avc0002

think I'm somewhere between hoarding and curation