Sign in to follow this  
LightGeek

What rep stage are you in?

What rep stage are you in?  

135 members have voted

1. 1. What rep stage are you in?

• Infancy stage - wow! rep buying mania! warming up the credit card
    • Hoarding stage - mountains of reps, good bad and ugly included
    • Curation stage - whittling down collection, identified specific tastes, still intrigued by shiny new releases
    • Retirement stage - collection minimized, not actively hunting for the next great thing anymore

LightGeek

I think I'm nearing the retirement stage but the only thing holding me back is I'm having a hard time letting go of crown jewels such as the Nomos rep and Montblanc Star Chrono.

xlc

Since I'm in the Infancy Stage I will be happy to buy your collection :)

Ishmael

Definitely the curation stage. I know what I like, but shiny new things have a tendency to hold my gaze longer than maybe they should...

MikeAlmighty

Somewhere between cured and aged to perfection, but I don't see retirement coming anytime soon

hlodhi1

Don't think I'd ever hit retirement. Just can't see myself buying gen anymore.

nunu78

+1

N.Rico

Retirement not close to me at all !

BTW I use more my REPs now than my GENs ,

So I think I have a long way to keep going !

TK01

Looking to buy gens, no way retired @ all ever.

Daywatch

Fulfillment stage :)

Quite happy with what I´ve got, some could be different, some could be nicer, but overall it´s a fine mix like it is 4me.

Reading and interested in everything else, in new releases and specially vintage Rolex and Panerai builds, but finally at a stage where there is no urge to buy the next one for now. Just admiring the ones You All are often showing too.

No need or want to reduce anything as well, so just thinking of someday letting go one or the other to replace by something either vintage or some yet unknown new release.

It´s definitely a good stage :) something like "Semi-retirement without downsizing"

cwazy1

most definitely over it. lol. I keep 1 rep at a MAX.

Left Coast Guy

Grown up stage.

Only value the nice stuff -- modded, vintage, gen/curated movements. Ready to move on from some the reps I bought on a whim

afrowillson

Curation, curently moving from 'quailty over quantity' to 'quality and quantity'.

DG335

Sold everything apart from my 312 which I swap with my gen for foreign travel, a chopard mm gtxl coz it's cool and my uboat50 because, well because I don't know

Now just collecting gens

DG335

Oh and the 127 as it's class

RussP

Somedays I'm firmly entrenched in the hoarding stage.

Other than exchanging a couple of watches with members, I have not sold any by way of advertising, as I just can't bear to part with any.

I must work on my discipline................and start a sale sometime soon.

Foxindebox

Definitely Hoarding...... Unfortunately I'm a bit like that with all of my hobbies, I'm a bit OCD (should be CDO, that's in alphabetical order ;))

Batespcm

The stage where I am trying to decide what I now like as the watch I joined for no longer holds the same appeal

ag69

+1, unless I can get one for a really good price.

MetalMickey

Like lots of others I am in curation. I have the obligatory sub (albeit my third rep) and I have the pieces I really want (three Tudors of varying vintage) and other than recently surprising myself with an M2M purchase I never intended to make, I am focussed on getting the best possible examples of the watches I enjoy for the time being. No interest as yet in PAMs, Pateks, Omegas or APs but you never know...

Sunny Puddi

Definitely at the curation stage. Started to whittle down my collection a few months back and upgrading what I have. Still a couple of slots free but will wait till something that really takes my fancy comes along.

Have moved on boutique and moderately priced gens also.

Edited by Sunny Puddi

ellistyle1

I think I'm nearing the retirement stage but the only thing holding me back is I'm having a hard time letting go of crown jewels such as the Nomos rep and Montblanc Star Chrono.

I can help you let go of the Nomos.

I am in between the Curation and retirement stages as you've defined them. My attraction to watches makes little distinction between gens and reps at this point. I have more or less defined what I need in my collection and I am checking them off as I can. Interestingly, I have 9 watches and 1 is rep, 1 is franken. I have definitely refined my tastes and know what I like.

NFleischer

I've stopped buying a lot of reps, but I have many that I hoard and never sell. I have a few good gens and now buy mostlly

gens under $750.

greg_r

Hmm. Slightly modified retirement. Not really looking for any more reps - interested in a few gens. Not reducing my collection to any great degree, though - pretty happy with what I have.

PhillyRock

I have a well defined idea in my head of the perfect collection and am in the process of fulfilling it.

New releases still make my eyes widen but I never rule out another addition to the well thought out plan.

69-Watch

Will be happy to help all you retiring collectors.

Watch boxes are cheap and I will keep filling

Mine up! So feel free to let me help clean yours out. $$ :)