Sign in to follow this  
MrRude

Is this sound normal for an IWC Big Pilot?

MrRude

I just received an IWC Big Pilot but i'm not completely sure about the sound it makes.

I know you're supposed to hear the rotor but it seems kinda loud imo. Just moving my wrist a little quick is enough to hear it. I've uploaded a sound recording here:

I'd like to hear your opinions on this.

greg_r

Yup - some are noisier than others, but you will hear the rotor.

If you're feeling brave, you could take the back off and check that the screw that hold the rotor in place is tight - they do occasionally loosen which will make it noisier.

Timbohire

Yep it the rotor my rolex is similar sound don't worry about just injoy it.

MrRude

Ok, thanks for the quick replies!

BadPickle

Yup, loud pilot here too. :thumbsup: suppose it's to hear it over the noise of the engine.

:lol:

MrRude

With this out of the way.. anyone got a good suggestion for a nice strap? I've looked at the recommended sites but it seems to be mostly panerai. The best would be a EU-based site, because of quicker shipping.

Duzza

ebay for your strap, a seller called Time Piece Republic. LA based but decent shipping to Europe and unbeatable quality for the big pilot IMO. If you are after a better version of the original strap that is.

Left Coast Guy

Normal for Seagull movements... http://www.rwg.bz/bo...showtopic=27759

I'm not sure its necessarily a Seagul issue, but more a Big Pilot issue. The BP uses a typical 2813 or 2824 mov't but is every bit of 47MM, and in order to try to make the movement look like a gen (which is kind of retarded btw), the factories use a very large rotor, nearly to fit the case. So basically, you've got a giant rotor on a tiny movement, hence the rotor scrapes the movement holder, movement ring and so on, when it spins.

Even if you follow that mod and grease the rotor, it will make the same noise. Your best best bet would be to try to better secure the movement holder and the movement ring, to make sure they are not touching the rotor at all

alanArgon

Try Ethan o very accurate it the gen gator. Almost ordered until I decided on getting the gen gator for big pilot

MrRude

Is there a rep pin buckle available aswell? I don't really like the folding clasp and I don't feel like paying $250 for a gen buckle ¬¬

higginsd

The big TDs have rep buckles, just ask them or look in the shops. And the price for a gen buckle is 150$, not 250$.

If the rotor is too loud, open the case and place a microdrip of oil to the bearing of the rotor. Is like magic!

BTW: a BP is always on folding clasp, never on buckle.

Edited by higginsd

R5tdi
With this out of the way.. anyone got a good suggestion for a nice strap? I've looked at the recommended sites but it seems to be mostly panerai. The best would be a EU-based site, because of quicker shipping.

I use mario at Orloff for my Pilot straps makes awesome stuff just got these two from him

http://orloff-straps.blogspot.com/p/straps-ready-immediately-available.html

7118AE72-F5A6-4B8E-BE67-356A20B33576.jpg

C37E4F3E-2F72-42C3-9060-33361F34EBB4.jpg

alanArgon

I use mario at Orloff for my Pilot straps makes awesome stuff just got these two from him

http://orloff-straps...-available.html

7118AE72-F5A6-4B8E-BE67-356A20B33576.jpg

C37E4F3E-2F72-42C3-9060-33361F34EBB4.jpg

How much you paid for the brown gator on the BP if I may ask...

Mystery Shopper

It is either the rotor or a rattle snake is stuck in the movement. :D

MrRude

http://orloff-straps...-available.html

Thanks for the suggestion. Unfortunately his English isn't very good.