Sign in to follow this  
JimmyJammer

Planet Ocean 42mm date issue (6pm and not 12am)

JimmyJammer

Not sure where to post this so will start here... I bought a superb Omega CrPO 42mm from Rochest and it really is a super rep. The only problem I have just noticed is that the date changes too early - It changes at 6pm and not 12am. I guess the hands just need removing and replacing at the correct time so the date change is back in sync. Rochest has offered to do this for me but it's going to be costly and risky to send it from the UK all the way back and then it come back through customs again.... Has anyone any experience of this or can they refer me to anyone in the UK who could remove the hands and replace them again. There's no way I'm doing it myself as I'll knacker it!

Any advice appreciated!

James

MetalMickey

Check out the Trusted Dealers section, there is a UK watch smith in there now. Or try a local shop (NOT an AD, maybe a shopping centre stand, or a local 'Watch Hospital') - declare what it is and they may be happy to work on it as it is such an easy fix.

JimmyJammer

Thank you Sir, I've emailed and will post response and feedback should I go this route.

JimmyJammer

Just to let you know that I had some serious issues with getting my PO date issue sorted by a local WS.

I am VERY pleased to report a happy ending and the watch is now back with me and seems to be working well so far but I just wanted to share what the WS discovered once he opened her up.

For starters, don't get me wrong, I completely appreciate that this is a fraction of the price of a gen and I would be extremely hard pressed to be able to construct such a piece with the component parts for the same sum, however, I guess once you own one and you study it you almost become fooled yourself. I know the WS himself was shocked at his initial inspection. It was only once he opened it that he realised his error in agreeing to work on her for me:

"Mild heat worked! (initially the WS was unable to remove the dial. The movement and everything else came away but the dial stayed put leaving the hands stranded between the dial and face). Left it on the lamp for a while and it has loosened the dial. Dial is out as it should be with no need to disturb the glass.

Looks to me like some drifting glue or even a possibility that the dial paint was not quite dry when installed in the case as I can see paint marks on the inner case.

The fact still remains that the dial just sits on the movement with no securing screws option. Some more points of interest. A calendar problem might actually have caused the hand sync issue. The date should flick instantly at 12 or where ever the hands are set, instead it's a lumbered slow change. Reasons for this could be a faulty change wheel or the disc is too heavy.

I've found numerous design problems with the watch - the hands have extended pipes to accommodate the thicker dial and case ring depth. These hands are substandard quality and have far too much movement /play. They are thin and far too flexible.

It also looks like the calender disc is attached to the existing eta caliber disc rather then one piece. Also, the eta caliber is a day/date version but the day disc has been removed.

So it's all a bit of a miss mash which is a shame considering the quality of most of the watch. It seems they still cannot reproduce a serviceable watch.

Anyways... I've set the hands as best I can to change near 12 and running the watch over night out of the case. All being well tomorrow I will fit it back in the case for collection later in the day.

Really not sure of the long term performance on this watch I think hand issues will arise in the future due to the quality of the material.

Time will tell.

Will drop you a text tomorrow all being well.

Cheers Jon "

Anyway, I'd be interested to hear if anyone else has had their PO 8500 serviced in any way and whether they had any similar issues? OR, are these basically not meant to be serviced?

Best

JJ