Sign in to follow this  
PolonusTM

U-BOAT Chimera 46 Chrono review

leebob
i really want one of these but the 7750s still scare me...

i wish there was a non-chrono version of this or they would make a good U1001 rep.

always loved UBoats

I agree. 1001 is amazing but can't find a brilliant rep,

murphy2para

Guys did anyone find a bronze version of one of these yet?

murphy2para

Anybody ?

torobravo

Very nice review. Not sure how I missed this. You have the gen or you just compare them from the pictures you found online? I bought the gen to make this watch.

ericb196

It was a great idea to buy one toro !! Thanks for us

linni

Hi, I go down, very good, very cheap. I bring my sister too if you like.

trailboss99
2dhfql0.jpg

RUSH2112
Hi, I go down, very good, very cheap. I bring my sister too if you like.

Send your sister, you stay home.

BreitlingSA

Is that from Toro? I just ordered a piece like that from him but the first QC pic was dirty so he said he will replace it for another one. Still waiting. It looks official.

Some stuff gathered from various sources:

Italo Fontana gained an unreal success, realizing ideas of his grandfather Ivo Fontana. That is why the company U-Boat can be considered as a family business. The family business of Fontana that years was design of cloths. Once, Italo started to learn documents from his grandfather archive. Among it there were documents of 1942 with developing of wristwatches for Italian Navy. After that he couldn't think about anything but that.

Few years past and Italo developed design of watch. That time the fate brings him to Munir Muffarige (the managing director of French fashion wrought Ungaro), who suggested Italo to set new private label for watches and introduce new watch collection on the world market. As known, Italo Fontana is a fan of activities. He adores a sea and everything which relate to it. Yachts are one of his main interests. May be that is why Italo called his watches like names of submarines, produced during Second World War.

Watches are being produced in short series which makes every watch production batch - limited collection item. Suddenly, out of the blue - we have great rep of one of iconic U-BOAT watches - Chimera 46 Side View in stainless steel, limited edition of 300 pieces worldwide.

This watch appeared in 2011 catalogue of this brand (access: http://www.u-boat.at/Uboat_2011.pdf ). Funny thing it appeared in 2012, too (access: http://www.u-boat.at/Uboat_2012.pdf ) - problems with sale..? images/smilies/WinkSmiley.png

You can read about its specifications in the catalogue:

MOVEMENT: automatic mechanical chronograph personalized to U-Boat specifications for date display and stem to be positioned at 9 o’clock.

Frequency: 28.800 vibrations per hour, 4 Hz.

Power reserve: 44 hours. 25 jewels. Height: 7 mm.

FUNCTIONS: hours, minutes, chronograph, counter small seconds at 3, counter 12 at 12, counter 30 minutes at 6. Date window at 9 o’clock.

CASE: AISI 316 Plus stainless steel 46 mm diameter, 54,50 mm diameter including external crown-clutter.

The bezel and the back of the case are locked together by external tubing and a customized key that ensures absolute water-proofing.

Personalized rotor, in silver, build with a base and 3 bridges fixed with blued screws. Thickness: 17 mm. Weight: 200 gr approx.

CRYSTAL: sapphire curved glass on the face and flat on the back of the timepiece.

DIAL: two superimposed dials, hour and minute indexes treated with superluminova.

WATER RESISTANCE: 100 m, 10 ATM.

STRAP: hand made and hand finished alligator, black, 3 circular cuts out. Width: 20/20 mm.

Tongue steel buckle, hypoallergenic and color retain treatment.

You can still download official U-Boat leaflet for this watch: http://www.uboatwatc..._modello_en.pdf

Now to the replication - I got this watch from Joshua/PC but it is available everywhere (all TD carry them I suppose).

CNC machining, details taken care of, overall feel etc. - judging by the quality no one should even blink if told it is “top class Noob creation” with price set $100 higher. It doesn’t come from Noob - it was our TD ToroBravo sacrificing his genuine Chimera to make this replication in cooperation with some unnamed (yet) maker. There is no feel they cut corners somewhere, even “limited edition” plate is engraved (not just printed), balance weight looks and shines like silver. This thing IS QUALITY, believe me.

When comparing with gen photos available online, it is easy to observe that the gen has small variations, too. Probably because it was offered for more than one year (I found it twice in company’s catalogs) so they did not produced whole batch in one go.

digidesigner

Hi Chimera owners, tell me is your 12 o'clock sub dial counting chrono hours or is it faux?

Andrey PAM

Hi Chimera owners, tell me is your 12 o'clock sub dial counting chrono hours or is it faux?

Not faux.

All working.

We wait for an output of new model DLC black/Gold ref. 6566

Here new DIAL :)

tumblr_nk3my96XCj1slbpb9o2_r1_1280.jpg

tumblr_nk3my96XCj1slbpb9o3_r1_1280.jpg

tumblr_nk3my96XCj1slbpb9o4_r1_1280.jpg

Edited by Andrey PAM

kamellip

Def worth the money for this rep! 2 of my friends have the Chimera (1 rep, 1 gen)....apart from the strap, near impossible to tell the difference. Enjoy the time piece