Sign in to follow this  
Genius

Problem 2824 rotor spins too freely not self winding enough

Genius

I think there is a problem with one of my 2824 clone movements.

It will self wind, you can move it around a little bit (although needs to be more movement than some of the other 2824 clones I have) and it will start ticking (sweeping) away but it seems that I cannot put enough charge into it in my normal day to day life to keep it permanently charged so every now and again it will stop. This is not an issue I have with any other ETA clone I have they always keep going without manual winding but this one needs a little manual wind boost every couple of days. Whilst this is not a major issue in itself it is a little bit annoying as it is the only watch I have to manual wind.

What may be related is I also noticed that when I give the watch a little flick the rotor will spin around maybe 5 or 6 full rotations on its own. The same can happen if it put it down on the desk it will spin freely for a second or so as if there is seemingly not enough resistance on there, compared to other ETA clones I own.

Any ideas or suggestions as to what would be causing this I have not had the back off the watch to investigate yet as I don't really know what to look for so any help would be appreciated

SSTEEL

Let us know when you have removed the case back, posting a photo or three of the movement will also help us, help you.

kennycoder

I had this issue before. Something related to reversing wheel. Wasn't an expensive fix.

Time taker

Me too, they are fairly inexpensive to fix

Genius

Thanks for the replies will open it up when I get home tonight.

I know you said the reversing wheel issue is an inexpensive fix but is it an easy fix for a novice like myself ie. am I likely to do more harm than good....

Time taker

You might want to check the rotor screw is tight.....

Edited by Time taker

Genius

Thanks for the help so far guys :)

After someone mentioned the reverse gear problem I did a bit or reading and found this:

http://blog.tc-sub.c...ar-problem.html

So it would seem as though I have ended up with one of the movements from the defective batch.

I tried a version of the trick as shown in the video (without taking the watch apart to get the movement out) I just gave it a few winds with the watch held near my ear then gave the crown I very minor flick and the rotor starts spinning round and round inside. So I think I have pretty much diagnosed the fault.

Now anyone have any idea how to fix the bugger.

kennycoder

It's not a difficult job if you have some basic tools. Pretty much top layer of the movement.

Genius

I have some screwdrivers tweezers and a loupe would I need anything else?

Also would i need to get the parts from TC directly or would other either gen ETA or asian clone parts work for the fix... and of course where can I get the parts?

kennycoder

Mine were replaced with genuine parts, but I'm a little bit like a suicide maniac. It was my first job on a watch. You have to feel confident to do this kind of stuff. Despite being not very difficult you need a lot of concentration not to fuck it up nor let dirt inside :P

Ah and the parts.. ofrei ? cousinsuk? ebay?

Genius

OK Thanks

I have seen this video and it all looks pretty simple:

So I'm guessing its just follow the video up to 1:39 to take it apart and then follow from 22:46 to put it back together.

Do I need to oil it at all I noticed when the guy on the video was doing it he was putting little dabs on but I'm hoping with it being a relatively new movement and not in need of a service I could get away without having to oil it or is it advisable to buy oil too?

Genius

Been on ebay and it is working out around £25 for the 2 parts but not sure if they are the correct parts and they are located in the USA (I'm UK)............

Was on cousins website looking at the parts #1488 and #1530 and there seems to be about 10 versions of each only looking at ETA brand and they vary in price from £3.50 to £20 so another question for those in the know.... Are there different versions of the 1488 and 1580 or are they all the same just randomly priced different at cousins.

I tried calling cousins to ask them but rude is an understatement but if they are miles cheaper then I'd still order from them.

kennycoder

I didn't oil these parts, but I'm not the right person to ask :P As for the parts, not sure why so many different ones. Maybe metal / finish? Experts, please advise...

Genius

OK so done a bit more research I think the ETA part numbers are suitable for a number of different movements and cousins lists them seperately for each movement but confusingly at different prices....

So to someone in the know (please help)....

I'm looking at cousins part numbers:

ETA28701488

ETA28201530

Would these be suitable for my TC sub working out around £12 delivered for the 2 this way as opposed to £25 from an american seller for ones specifically linked to the 2824 movement so would much rather order these cheaper and local parts than have to wait for a more expensive package to come from america

10:10 Watch Repair

I didn't oil these parts, but I'm not the right person to ask :P As for the parts, not sure why so many different ones. Maybe metal / finish? Experts, please advise...

Don't oil the reversing gears, they come lubed from the factory with Lubeta.

Oil goes on the jewels, but unless you're cleaning everything, don't bother. You'll over oil and it could spread to the rest of the movement.

Genius

Thanks for all the help and advice!

Got the 2 parts through from cousins today and fuck me they are tiny!

Gonna have a crack at the repair job over the weekend..

wqleow

Good luck and let us know how you did!

Genius

Just done the repair, got as far as replacing the reversing gears and realised that the #1488 I ordered was much smaller than the #1488 in my watch so there must be a few different versions of this part.

I was that far in so I thought I may as well replace the #1530 whilst I was in there before putting it all back together so I went ahead and replaced the part I had.

Result!! Well as far as I can tell, just done TCs flick test on it and replacing this one part seems to have cured the fault. I will wear the watch for a couple of days now and report back if it stops but hopefully all is now well with my TC sub.

Thanks again for all the help guys!

GenTLe

More than reversing wheels I'd point to the click. It may be dirty, with a bad spring or a bit sticky so to doesn't properly work, letting the mainspring to be discharged through the counterweight (which will then rotate discharging the watch).

GenTLe

Don't oil the reversing gears, they come lubed from the factory with Lubeta.

This in theory.

I changed them on one of my watch because the asian ones were not working too fine, but the ones I got from cousinsuk (in proper ETA closed blister) were dry and didn't work either.

This evening I unassembled them, cleaned properly and immersed them into lubeta V105 (from here -> http://www.ebay.it/itm/400720620569?var=670265345074 ) and now they finally are running silky :)

Genius

Just thought I'd update this thread again as I had another ETA based movement with a power reserve issue...

Did the same swap 2 reversing gears (yes I bought the right ones this time and swapped both) and seems to have fixed this one too, its dead easy and would recommend this to any novice tinkerer with a half decent set of screwdrivers experiencing power reserve issues in an ETA 28xx movement. much cheaper and more satisfying than geting a watchmaker involved..

Also FYI the correct part numbers are

ETA28201488

ETA28201530

tabuktime

Thanks for the update, always good to know when a fix works.

15 months though...

BadPickle
Just thought I'd update this thread again as I had another ETA based movement with a power reserve issue...

Did the same swap 2 reversing gears (yes I bought the right ones this time and swapped both) and seems to have fixed this one too, its dead easy and would recommend this to any novice tinkerer with a half decent set of screwdrivers experiencing power reserve issues in an ETA 28xx movement. much cheaper and more satisfying than geting a watchmaker involved..

Also FYI the correct part numbers are

ETA28201488

ETA28201530

Result :thumbsup:

You are my new power reserve "go to guy", living only an inexpensive bus ride away is a bonus too :D