Sign in to follow this  
_jonte

Help me pick a dressy watch for my dad's 60th

_jonte

My dad is turning 60 in a couple of months. Thought I should surprise him with a nice new watch. Have trouble deciding on a model, and thought I should reach out to the experts for suggestions! :lol:

It has to be very thin, only a few millimetres, dressy, clean design and made of SS (gold detail is ok) with a nice leather strap.

What do you suggest?

Akira
My dad is turning 60 in a couple of months. Thought I should surprise him with a nice new watch. Have trouble deciding on a model, and thought I should reach out to the experts for suggestions! :lol:

It has to be very thin, only a few millimetres, dressy, clean design and made of SS (gold detail is ok) with a nice leather strap.

What do you suggest?

Glashütte Senator Sixties

43mm though

http://www.replica-watches-guide.com/forum...&hl=senator

Awesome dress watch

Member X

They are nice :lol:

I've got two! Review in the appropriate section if I remember correctly.

Not that accurate to the gen as the gen is 39mm and auto, whereas the rep is 43mm and handwind, but they do look nice! You will need to spend perhaps $100+ on a decent croc strap to go on it though - the rep strap is rubbish! lol

Both movements on mine are very stiff to wind too, but they might just need a service.

Failing that, a classic Rolex Datejust is always a good buy ;) Mary can get whatever you want, pretty much - you just need to decide what dial you want (colour / stick markers / roman numerals), what bezel (fluted / smooth), what strap (Jubilee / Oyster) and what size (39mm original DJ size (I think?) / 41mm new DJ II size) :Whistle:

Get it with the clone or swiss eta (think it's c. $225/$275) and the sweep will be accurate, and I doubt anyone would ever be able to tell it was a rep!

monkeypie
They are nice :lol:

Not that accurate to the gen as the gen is 39mm and auto, whereas the rep is 43mm and handwind, but they do look nice! You will need to spend perhaps $100+ on a decent croc strap to go on it though - the rep strap is rubbish! lol

Both movements on mine are very stiff to wind too, but they might just need a service.

Failing that, a classic Rolex Datejust is always a good buy B) Mary can get whatever you want, pretty much - you just need to decide what dial you want (colour / stick markers / roman numerals), what bezel (fluted / smooth), what strap (Jubilee / Oyster) and what size (39mm original DJ size (I think?) / 41mm new DJ II size) :)

Get it with the clone or swiss eta (think it's c. $225/$275) and the sweep will be accurate, and I doubt anyone would ever be able to tell it was a rep!

I respectfully disagree with the recommendations of getting a rep for your father.

I am a big proponent of "its the thought that counts", but watches tend to carry quite significant sentimental value. I personally wouldn't recommend you getting him a rep watch that, while worth much in intangible value, is essentially worthless in tangible value and may probably stop working in some years time.

Why not consider a gen albeit of a lower brand value? Longines, Tissot, even a Seiko. They make some nice, dressy watches that fit a budget.

In the collection of my fancy reps that come and go, I still keep a few gens that range from a pedestrian swiss army watch from Priceclub to an old Datejust solely out of sentimental value. My AP Gstadd Rep is worth several times more than the swiss army watch, but I'd much rather lose the AP.

Similarly, although there are reps and I personally wear them myself, I will still get gens as gifts to my loved ones. I got a Jaeger Reverso for my SO. Looking at a nice Patek or FP Journe for my future kids, along side the datejust and probably the swiss army. There is just something wrong with giving a gift with meaning that is, in blunt terms, a fake.

Just some food for thought.

Akira

Don't see it that way...

The present is a nice watch.

For a little more you get quality like any other low priced brand, sometimes even better.

The sentimental value of the watch, is because of the person who gives it, not the "brand name".

If a person I likes gets me a present I don't care if its gen, fake or selfmade...

Its the gesture that counts!

Reps are watches like any other.

Just my 2 cents

Member X
They are nice :)

Failing that, a classic Rolex Datejust is always a good buy B) Mary can get whatever you want, pretty much - you just need to decide what dial you want (colour / stick markers / roman numerals), what bezel (fluted / smooth), what strap (Jubilee / Oyster) and what size (39mm original DJ size (I think?) / 41mm new DJ II size) B)

I respectfully disagree with the recommendations of getting a rep for your father.

I am a big proponent of "its the thought that counts", but watches tend to carry quite significant sentimental value. I personally wouldn't recommend you getting him a rep watch that, while worth much in intangible value, is essentially worthless in tangible value and may probably stop working in some years time.

Why not consider a gen albeit of a lower brand value? Longines, Tissot, even a Seiko. They make some nice, dressy watches that fit a budget.

In the collection of my fancy reps that come and go, I still keep a few gens that range from a pedestrian swiss army watch from Priceclub to an old Datejust solely out of sentimental value. My AP Gstadd Rep is worth several times more than the swiss army watch, but I'd much rather lose the AP.

Similarly, although there are reps and I personally wear them myself, I will still get gens as gifts to my loved ones. I got a Jaeger Reverso for my SO. Looking at a nice Patek or FP Journe for my future kids, along side the datejust and probably the swiss army. There is just something wrong with giving a gift with meaning that is, in blunt terms, a fake.

You do realise that you've pretty much just argued against yourself there? :lol: LoL

If it's the thought that counts, which you say you are a big proponent of, then why is it wrong to give a rep to someone as a 'gift with meaning'?

If the meaning is to get something nice, regardless of cost, then what matter if it's a rep or a gen? Why does it have to have substantial 'tangible value' to other people to be worth giving? Aren't the best things in life free? (to coin a phrase)

I would also disagree with your assertion that a rep "may probably stop working in some years time". All watches will stop working in some years time, it's just a matter of when. Get an ETA or clone ETA movement, factor in the cost of a service and regulation before you gift the watch, and you'll be looking at 5+ years of hassle free service, pretty much the same as buying a gen from any big name manufacturer. Reps now aren't the timebomb they once were. Not only that, it would appear from what I've read and heard that even $$$$ gen Rolex are unreliable at keeping time, whereas the ETA movement can get down to COSC standards if you get a good one.

Anyway, that was an interesting first post. Post some pics of your collection!

Aren

Hi, and Welcome...

I think this VC is a stunning watch. Sleek and elegant. This watch is thin (8mm). I don't know about the workmanship or the movement. I also don't know how the gold plating would hold up. I guess it would depend on wear, but the watch is 316L SS and has a leather band. This model also comes in just SS if you don't like the plating. I find the Rose Gold to be a warm and flattering color. This watch is very simple. It doesn't even have a second hand or a date. This is a manual wind. The dealer states that it has a sapphire crystal. This is an advantage in the scratch department.

VC.jpg

I have only seen this watch at this trusted dealer:

http://timesshop.net/product.php?id_product=3596

My suggestion is look at everything from all of the trusted dealers and see what appeals to you the most. I just love looking at all of the watches. :lol:

I especially like looking at the members posted photos. The actual photos taken by the members here look much nicer than most of the dealer ad shots and bring breadth and character to the watches with a more intricate look. I particularly like the actual wrist shots because you can really see how good the watch looks on a human. Take a look at the wristie pix thread here. The wristie photos will give you a better perspective than a watch on a pillow. Most of the members here are really nice and will post a wrist photo of a watch you like if they have one in their collection.

Best Wishes on your search and regards for your Dad's birthday.

Arenaria

Just an aside...in my experience, if you want to give a gent a gift that not only keeps on giving but reminds him of you...give him a watch or a wallet. Just be sure to know what he likes first.

Akira

Or a Jaeger LeCoultre

40mm, very thin, available in RG and SS

Here a pic from Lawrence in RG

400JLC_049_JaegerLeCoultre_1_LRG.jpg

narikaa

DSCF2097.jpg

DSCF2093.jpg

Aren

Monkeypie,

Would you please post some photos of your gens? I am sure we would all love to see them.

Thanks,

Aren

+1 Arika...I don't think this discussion is about the merits of what is chosen for a gift, but rather what is suggested among what jonte wishes to give.

Dendo

How about this PP stainless steel - classic 40mm. I have had it for 6 months - perfect time keeper (+/- 4secs) and runs for at least 30 hours when not worn.

IMG_0127.jpg">

IMG_5033.jpg

IMG_5029.jpg

speedzmaster

You're getting a rep for your Dad's 60th? :lol:

Baldrick

Personally I'd go with the Patek Phillipe that Narikaa posted, it's a very classy THIN dress watch, here's a better photo of it from TTK altho' his is gold, same watch same supplier as Narikaa who has it in steel, absolutely perfect, understated with a fantastic dial striking blue hands, and good case work :lol:

317PATEKCALATRAVAROSEGOLD1.jpg

317PATEKCALATRAVAROSEGOLD2.jpg

317PATEKCALATRAVAROSEGOLD3.jpg

317PATEKCALATRAVAROSEGOLD4.jpg

monkeypie

Failing that, a classic Rolex Datejust is always a good buy B) Mary can get whatever you want, pretty much - you just need to decide what dial you want (colour / stick markers / roman numerals), what bezel (fluted / smooth), what strap (Jubilee / Oyster) and what size (39mm original DJ size (I think?) / 41mm new DJ II size) B)

You do realise that you've pretty much just argued against yourself there? :lol: LoL

If it's the thought that counts, which you say you are a big proponent of, then why is it wrong to give a rep to someone as a 'gift with meaning'?

If the meaning is to get something nice, regardless of cost, then what matter if it's a rep or a gen? Why does it have to have substantial 'tangible value' to other people to be worth giving? Aren't the best things in life free? (to coin a phrase)

I would also disagree with your assertion that a rep "may probably stop working in some years time". All watches will stop working in some years time, it's just a matter of when. Get an ETA or clone ETA movement, factor in the cost of a service and regulation before you gift the watch, and you'll be looking at 5+ years of hassle free service, pretty much the same as buying a gen from any big name manufacturer. Reps now aren't the timebomb they once were. Not only that, it would appear from what I've read and heard that even $$$$ gen Rolex are unreliable at keeping time, whereas the ETA movement can get down to COSC standards if you get a good one.

It depends on how you look at it though. I've seen acts of kindness between users on various boards were reps were given as gifts to genuine effect. On the other hand, one may have the best intentions in the world, but it can still be contradicted and undermined by the nature of the item itself. You sometimes just can't say "get well soon" with a coffin.

I would put it this way thought. There is one "layer", which is the OP getting his father a gift for his birthday. Birthdays are special, and so is his father. He specifically chooses a watch.

This leads to the second "layer". Getting a watch as a gift has a deeper meaning than say, getting a pair of socks or a toaster (unless you made them yourself). A watch, as with a fine pen, ring, and other items of jewelery, is often a gift used to convey a deeper sense of sentimentality. An heirloom, an item to carry along one's life. In deed this is very likely the reason OP chooses to give a watch.

Now for the issue; say what you will, but a rep is just double speak for a fake watch. There is just something inherently wrong with giving a fake watch as a gift, especially to one's father on his 60th birthday. This can easily go on a rep v. gen argument, but I would like to raise that many rep collectors go onto gens for the same reason. A gen is a gen, nevermind the circumstances here.

It is also true that some of the best things in life are free. A hug, an evening with his father are both free and the OP probably will give those too. But the OP also also chose to give something that isn't free.

Then again, Homer did give Marge an onion ring as an engagement ring, and one of my most treasured watches was probably given away for free from Priceclub.

And wow it really is my first post here! I thought I would have posted here before.

Dendo

Here is a classic Audemars Piguet. Similar to the PP but rose gold. Also an automatic that keeps great time.

IMG_0065.jpg">

SubFrog

Let me just say; I got my father a Gold Rollie DD president (rep) for his birthday a while back...and he LOVES this watch...will not take it off.

The kicker here is...he was born in 1918 and knows the value of a buck. So, the knowledge of this being a rep makes it even more special to him. He loves the fact that it didn't cost me an arm and a leg. He would actually not want it, if it was gen...thinking it would be a waste of money.

That being said...I'm going to have to go with the PATEK for a thiner watch. Pateks are classy watches. Will go well for any gentleman and will not go out of style. Got one for my older brother...it's his favorite watch as well.

_jonte

What lovely watches and great tips from you guys, thank you very much! Did not make my choice any easier though, since I love them all! :lol: Might even get a couple of them for myself.

Personally I like the Railmaster and the Patek Philippe best. Gonna have to do some discrete research on my dad's taste... :)

And to answer to you who does not like the idea of buying a rep for a 60th... Well the thing is that my dad would not want a $2-3000 watch. He generally doesn't like that luxury thing. Guess it comes from growing up in a working family in the 50's-60's. Also the "real" present is a trip with the family. That is what will be remembered most I think. The watch is just a bonus.

Although as general I would agree that for a 60th birthday, a gen would be best suited.

_jonte
Let me just say; I got my father a Gold Rollie DD president (rep) for his birthday a while back...and he LOVES this watch...will not take it off.

The kicker here is...he was born in 1918 and knows the value of a buck. So, the knowledge of this being a rep makes it even more special to him. He loves the fact that it didn't cost me an arm and a leg. He would actually not want it, if it was gen...thinking it would be a waste of money.

That being said...I'm going to have to go with the PATEK for a thiner watch. Pateks are classy watches. Will go well for any gentleman and will not go out of style. Got one for my older brother...it's his favorite watch as well.

Very well said, feel exactly the same thing with my dad. "Value of a buck" is often something important to the older generation.

Dendo

All good discussion here. Let me add something else.

Of course you tell him it is a very good rep and the real thing would cost an arm and two legs.

And of course before you give it to him you keep it running for a week, do the time adjustment if necessary and make sure it is a good beater.

When I have given reps as gifts I have often opted for a quartz movement coz not everyone (unlike this forum's members) enjoys fiddling with automatics and hand winds to keep them accurate. Younger kids tend to break crowns, overwind or just forget about wearing them and use their phones for time instead.

So think about the recipient and match the watch to them rather than our idea of what they should like.

_jonte

It depends on how you look at it though. I've seen acts of kindness between users on various boards were reps were given as gifts to genuine effect. On the other hand, one may have the best intentions in the world, but it can still be contradicted and undermined by the nature of the item itself. You sometimes just can't say "get well soon" with a coffin.

I would put it this way thought. There is one "layer", which is the OP getting his father a gift for his birthday. Birthdays are special, and so is his father. He specifically chooses a watch.

This leads to the second "layer". Getting a watch as a gift has a deeper meaning than say, getting a pair of socks or a toaster (unless you made them yourself). A watch, as with a fine pen, ring, and other items of jewelery, is often a gift used to convey a deeper sense of sentimentality. An heirloom, an item to carry along one's life. In deed this is very likely the reason OP chooses to give a watch.

Now for the issue; say what you will, but a rep is just double speak for a fake watch. There is just something inherently wrong with giving a fake watch as a gift, especially to one's father on his 60th birthday. This can easily go on a rep v. gen argument, but I would like to raise that many rep collectors go onto gens for the same reason. A gen is a gen, nevermind the circumstances here.

It is also true that some of the best things in life are free. A hug, an evening with his father are both free and the OP probably will give those too. But the OP also also chose to give something that isn't free.

Then again, Homer did give Marge an onion ring as an engagement ring, and one of my most treasured watches was probably given away for free from Priceclub.

And wow it really is my first post here! I thought I would have posted here before.

I like your way of thinking, and you obviously have a kind heart... But also you are probably over-analysing this a bit. B)

Baldrick

Depending on which Railmaster..the XXL isn't particularly thin, the standard Railmaster is about 11mm thick whereas the Patek is about 8mm thick, but at the perceived edge it's only about 3mm, it's that aspect which makes it look very expensive and also very dressy, not to mention the beauty of the perfect dial symmetry with the blue markers not only empathising with the blue indices, but also echoing the sword hand shape, all the watches mentioned I've seen in person and of them all IMO the patek fits the brief perfectly.

Don't bother about the aspect of gen vs rep, the handwind mechanism should be familiar to your Dad, and should be a good timekeeper and easily serviced, not to mention it's prolly in Narikaa's stock ready for immediate shipment. :lol:

Dendo
Depending on which Railmaster..the XXL isn't particularly thin, the standard Railmaster is about 11mm thick whereas the Patek is about 8mm thick, but at the perceived edge it's only about 3mm, it's that aspect which makes it look very expensive and also very dressy, not to mention the beauty of the perfect dial symmetry with the blue markers not only empathising with the blue indices, but also echoing the sword hand shape, all the watches mentioned I've seen in person and of them all IMO the patek fits the brief perfectly.

Lovely prose Baldrick, almost poetic, certainly persuasive - makes me want to get this watch now.....and I need another like I need another hole in my head....

_jonte

Don't bother about the aspect of gen vs rep, the handwind mechanism should be familiar to your Dad, and should be a good timekeeper and easily serviced, not to mention it's prolly in Narikaa's stock ready for immediate shipment. :lol:

Good information, thanks!

Agree, very dressy and nice dial symmetry and uniformity. Really like sharp lines combined with the more classic overall design. Kinda think the gold one looks better though. Any idea who might have it for sale? Narikaa?

narikaa

Have Gold and Stainless steel ones in stock in UK ready to go :lol:

Email me