Sign in to follow this  
LoweTimeKeeper

AP Royal Oak 39mm SS Review - Testing The Waters!

LoweTimeKeeper

Hey guys and gals! I know I don't post much, so I should tell you a bit about myself before I show off my Royal Oak! I'm a 19 year old International Business major from Iowa. For the past two years, I have been obsessed with watches and horology in general. I recently discovered the rep world through random Google searches which eventually led me to the forums. Yay! Before I started posting, I did as much reading and research as I possibly could on a few different forums. I came because I sought out Royal Oak reps and I was determined to find them. Being on a low budget I decided to see what I could find. It was a bit difficult considering the newest 15400s are so elegant and spot on. Alas, I will have to save for the holy grail. Anyways, I searched through the TDs websites and saw that my favorite rep site that I liked to browse was nowhere to be found. I knew that if I would buy from this other website, some may say I'm a fool or an idiot for not using the TDs. I know for a fact that the TDs would have been a safer option, but someone has to stick their neck out to put those dealers on the TD list! Anyways, I decided on the 39mm Royal Oak. I have an extremely skinny wrist (thanks high metabolism) so I figured it would be perfect. I got the cheapest Royal Oak I could find, placed the order, received QC pretty darn quickly, and got the watch a few weeks later. Now I know some of you may shun because the quality isn't "top notch", but I live in a small town so not many people know AP so no one is the wiser! I like the watch and that's all that really matters here. For my first rep, I just wanted a cheapy and I think it's pretty awesome for $148 anyways. In the near future (whenever I start saving), I will get the 15400 everyone talks about! So I hope you all enjoy the pictures and have some interesting things to say! I look forward to mashing the F5 key! Cheers!

TL;DR I got a cheap replica!

Link to product: http://www.amazingcl...dial-a4813.html

157epfp.jpg

6j0l8l.jpg

t4uzk8.jpg

t4uzk8.jpg

2vsn5w9.jpg

2ev7s3m.jpg

24dfoki.jpg

ja886o.jpg

wckfhe.jpg

Edited by LoweTimeKeeper

rawbaws

The bracelet looks like it has dints and scratches or is very poorly machined, particularly around the AP logo on the clasp - is that just the photos or is it poor quality?

None the less congrats on your purchase and wear it well

LoweTimeKeeper

The bracelet looks like it has dints and scratches or is very poorly machined, particularly around the AP logo on the clasp - is that just the photos or is it poor quality

Alas, that was my fault. My backpack strap has a metal adjuster on it and every time I throw my backpack over my shoulders, it usually scrapes the bracelet. I also find it very interesting that in the right light, the brushed steel looks majestic, but in other photos, it just looks ugly. It's all in the lighting ;)

rawbaws

Next time you will remember to take photos of your watch before banging it up :)

LoweTimeKeeper

Next time you will remember to take photos of your watch before banging it up :)

I honestly didn't even think about it, haha. I work for security at my university and one of the older security guards (early 60s) also loves watches. So when it got to the school, I rushed into the office to show him, took the links out to accommodate for the lack of muscle I have on my wrist, and I haven't really let it leave my wrist since except for sleeping. But next time I surely will take photos ASAP!

rawbaws

By the way, that same watch in 42mm with a 21j movement (probably what you have there) can be sourced through a TD here for less than what you paid.

Hunt around next time. Silix offers many cheapies.

http://www.silix-pri...roducts_id=4838

LoweTimeKeeper

By the way, that same watch in 42mm with a 21j movement (probably what you have there) can be sourced through a TD here for less than what you paid.

Hunt around next time. Silix offers many cheapies.

http://www.silix-pri...roducts_id=4838

Ah well, it's okay. But I will certainly store that in my bookmarks for my next buy!

PhillyRock

I don't want to poop on your parade so I'm not going to start pointing out things about that version.

I do however wish to congratulate you on the buy and glad you didn't get ripped off.

I was in your position before, (less then a year ago) where I was extremely limited on funds to buy Reps.

I would offer this little bit of advice: Shop on M2M. You'll always find decent deals there. Lots of stuff pops up from $150 and up.

Follow your own advice and save up for a much better version but DON'T buy the 15400, stick with the 15300. I own one of each

and the 2mm difference is amazing. The 15300 looks classy and elegant whereas the 15400 has a presence.

I'm a large guy, 185-190lbs @ 6 ft 1 inch and the 15300 looks freaking great. Stick to what you like.

If you're that impressed with it, I say get the much better version. You'll be in heaven.

LoweTimeKeeper

I don't want to poop on your parade so I'm not going to start pointing out things about that version.

I do however wish to congratulate you on the buy and glad you didn't get ripped off.

I was in your position before, (less then a year ago) where I was extremely limited on funds to buy Reps.

I would offer this little bit of advice: Shop on M2M. You'll always find decent deals there. Lots of stuff pops up from $150 and up.

Follow your own advice and save up for a much better version but DON'T buy the 15400, stick with the 15300. I own one of each

and the 2mm difference is amazing. The 15300 looks classy and elegant whereas the 15400 has a presence.

I'm a large guy, 185-190lbs @ 6 ft 1 inch and the 15300 looks freaking great. Stick to what you like.

If you're that impressed with it, I say get the much better version. You'll be in heaven.

See, this is where I start getting bothered with flaws and have more questions. Hopefully you can answer a few!

See, the reason I want the 15400 so badly is because of how close it is to the gen (minus the movement, thickness, date window, hour marker and AP alignment). But I'm also afraid of the 15400 being too large for my wrist, while this 39mm sits like a king on a throne. Something else I'm worried about is the accuracy of the 39mm. If you know a bit about the 39mm and their accuracy, throw me some details! But honestly, I may take your advice and get the 39mm, I just need some info on it.

PhillyRock

The accuracy of the 15300 is no different than the 15400. They are always correcting flaws and bringing out newer versions.

I firmly believe that the 15300 (Noob factory best version) is pretty dead on. Dial grid, AP marker placement, hands and case thickness.

The blue dial is a little off color, the crown is .5mm too thick, lume is bad and date wheels are the only things I can pick apart.

On the other hand, dials, hands, lume, AR job, cases, numbers, dial markers, pushers, bezel and bezel screws have all been the focus

of 'Tells' on the various 15400's. They are getting better, but there are so many versions out there you need a true AP Rep pro to give you

a better breakdown of the differences.

LoweTimeKeeper

The accuracy of the 15300 is no different than the 15400. They are always correcting flaws and bringing out newer versions.

I firmly believe that the 15300 (Noob factory best version) is pretty dead on. Dial grid, AP marker placement, hands and case thickness.

The blue dial is a little off color, the crown is .5mm too thick, lume is bad and date wheels are the only things I can pick apart.

On the other hand, dials, hands, lume, AR job, cases, numbers, dial markers, pushers, bezel and bezel screws have all been the focus

of 'Tells' on the various 15400's. They are getting better, but there are so many versions out there you need a true AP Rep pro to give you

a better breakdown of the differences.

By the way, you make it very difficult to read anything you type because of your profile picture. Nice tits.

chats

I love my white dial 15300, its not as accurate as 15400 but its close enough and the size for my small wrist is perfect

LoweTimeKeeper

I love my white dial 15300, its not as accurate as 15400 but its close enough and the size for my small wrist is perfect

Do you have any pictures? If you don't, it's fine. I'm just curious of other people's experiences with the 15300!

Pure B

Another topic to promote that canal street quality rep site?

Link to other topic: http://www.rwg.bz/bo...showtopic=87283

That time you did manage to take some pics before scratching it up?

Smells like BS

Edited by Pure B

LoweTimeKeeper

Smells like BS

You know what? If you're gonna be an assfuck dude, take your shit somewhere else. I don't think they're canal street quality, and those were QC (if you're not too stupid to tell). I broke the rules posting them and I'm surprised I haven't been punished for it. Look dude, there's no BS here. Go be an asshole elsewhere, I don't tolerate it.

Edited by LoweTimeKeeper

simey83
:popcorn:

_DC_

Smells like BS

I'd like to think I'm a pretty well known and trustworthy member (no jokes please haha) and I can vouch for the fact that while not a TD, and therefore not recommended as a wise choice to purchase from, they are not a scam site that takes your money and runs. I've ordered two models through them purely because I couldn't get them anywhere else and the cost was low enough that the risk was worth taking, and both have had QC pics taken and sent, shipment details sent and currently are on route to me. If they arrive and are made of wood shavings and PVA glue I'll rescind this comment, but don't let's spend the whole thread giving this guy a hard time, I for one believe he has genuinely bought this watch from that site and received it!

Obviously, I re-iterate, buying from them is not recommended as IF something went wrong you'd have no protection from the forum, but that's no different to the several other places listed as TDs on other forums but not here, WatchEden as an example. Not trusted here and probably with good reason, but not a scam either as they're trusted over at RWI!!

Again, not saying go buy from them, but a bunch of people slated "topgunreplicas" a while back and I've bought about 8 watches through them now with no issues what-so-ever, sold several of them onto members here who haven't had any issue with them, so I'd guess the people who got scammed were on a different website pretending to be topgunreplicas, in much the same way our TDs websites are copied by scammers! I guess what I'm saying is, just coz they're not TD doesn't automatically mean they're a scam and anyone who says they bought from them is scamming you, we're not THAT naive are we?!

DC

_DC_

PS: Because I've said it now and I know I'll be asked about it, these are the two I've ordered. These aren't the QC pics so don't all freak out at me! I'll report back when they arrive!!

F09C5099-7E1A-46B7-A239-B001919AF012_zpsmao5vg2t.jpg

348A5058-7ABA-40AE-9550-6F97926D384E_zpsklisjjeb.jpg

DC

LoweTimeKeeper

Smells like BS

I'd like to think I'm a pretty well known and trustworthy member (no jokes please haha) and I can vouch for the fact that while not a TD, and therefore not recommended as a wise choice to purchase from, they are not a scam site that takes your money and runs. I've ordered two models through them purely because I couldn't get them anywhere else and the cost was low enough that the risk was worth taking, and both have had QC pics taken and sent, shipment details sent and currently are on route to me. If they arrive and are made of wood shavings and PVA glue I'll rescind this comment, but don't let's spend the whole thread giving this guy a hard time, I for one believe he has genuinely bought this watch from that site and received it!

Obviously, I re-iterate, buying from them is not recommended as IF something went wrong you'd have no protection from the forum, but that's no different to the several other places listed as TDs on other forums but not here, WatchEden as an example. Not trusted here and probably with good reason, but not a scam either as they're trusted over at RWI!!

Again, not saying go buy from them, but a bunch of people slated "topgunreplicas" a while back and I've bought about 8 watches through them now with no issues what-so-ever, sold several of them onto members here who haven't had any issue with them, so I'd guess the people who got scammed were on a different website pretending to be topgunreplicas, in much the same way our TDs websites are copied by scammers! I guess what I'm saying is, just coz they're not TD doesn't automatically mean they're a scam and anyone who says they bought from them is scamming you, we're not THAT naive are we?!

DC

Hey man, I appreciate the backup, I really do. I know I haven't been the best at posting, and I will fix that, but I really dislike people that go out of there way to label you a promoter or scammer. I don't know why I would make up being a 19 year old kid in Iowa. I have no personal gain from that. I honestly just got into the rep world and wanted to show off the site I found organized, useful, and cooperative. Anyways, what movement is in the open-worked Royal Oak you've got pictured?

_DC_

I think it's a tricky subject, it's drummed into everyone here to only deal with TDs, and with very good reason. With TDs you get the support and protection of the forum mods and you know what you're getting yourself into. BUT, they are far from the only people out there who are genuine rep sellers! It's just that there are more scammers out there than decent dealers so the risk is not really worth it unless for a very good reason (eg: if the TDs can't get what you want)!

Your point is valid, before they were TDs the trusted dealers here were the "scary unknown", and someone must have recommended them, and after A LOT of vetting and monitoring and probationary period they became TDs. Look at Aoobuy, they only became a TD recently, a year ago they weren't even probationary, but lots of people used them, what's the difference?!?

The main thing is your lack of time on the forum, any new member who starts raving about a non TD will get accused of scamming, because the honest truth is 9 times out of 10 that is what is happening, you'll see it yourself once you've been here a while, the scammers will try anything to drum up business. So don't take it personally, we're a very diligent forum and we look out for each other, it's a good thing!!!!

So my advice, try not to big up non TDs too much, at least until you've been here a while enough for people to trust you a bit. I'd also say you should stick to TDs, because if something were to go wrong the mods will help you get it sorted, and besides which you could have bought the watch you got for less money so no point risking it. For me, I only buy through non TDs if I've tried to source the watch I want through TDs and they haven't been able to get it, only then I'll look elsewhere among the few non TDs I have dealt with previously!

Hope this helps you and others!!

DC

LoweTimeKeeper

I think it's a tricky subject, it's drummed into everyone here to only deal with TDs, and with very good reason. With TDs you get the support and protection of the forum mods and you know what you're getting yourself into. BUT, they are far from the only people out there who are genuine rep sellers! It's just that there are more scammers out there than decent dealers so the risk is not really worth it unless for a very good reason (eg: if the TDs can't get what you want)!

Your point is valid, before they were TDs the trusted dealers here were the "scary unknown", and someone must have recommended them, and after A LOT of vetting and monitoring and probationary period they became TDs. Look at Aoobuy, they only became a TD recently, a year ago they weren't even probationary, but lots of people used them, what's the difference?!?

The main thing is your lack of time on the forum, any new member who starts raving about a non TD will get accused of scamming, because the honest truth is 9 times out of 10 that is what is happening, you'll see it yourself once you've been here a while, the scammers will try anything to drum up business. So don't take it personally, we're a very diligent forum and we look out for each other, it's a good thing!!!!

So my advice, try not to big up non TDs too much, at least until you've been here a while enough for people to trust you a bit. I'd also say you should stick to TDs, because if something were to go wrong the mods will help you get it sorted, and besides which you could have bought the watch you got for less money so no point risking it. For me, I only buy through non TDs if I've tried to source the watch I want through TDs and they haven't been able to get it, only then I'll look elsewhere among the few non TDs I have dealt with previously!

Hope this helps you and others!!

DC

Thanks once again man. I appreciate the advice for a new guy like me. I do understand that there are probably a lot of scammers, and if I had more time to get on the forum, I could probably see them and realize why people are so defensive. It's a natural thing I suppose. One concern I have though is buying from TDs. I trust them and all, but how do you pay them? I'm not too fond of the WU payment and have always used Visa when I can. So how exactly do you go about this?

_DC_

Several of the TDs take PayPal which is by far the safest way to pay, just be sure to NEVER mention anything in the notes section, especially nothing about watches or reps or anything like that!!!

It's funny you say that because my main concern with amazingclock was paying by card, I used to pay Perfect Clones (TD) by card but a few weeks after on two occasions someone in a foreign country started trying to use my card and thankfully my bank caught it and called me. Might have been a coincidence but I never use my card online accept for that so I reckon it was that!

At least with western union you're not giving out your bank or card details to anyone!!!!!!!!

DC

PhillyRock

Western Union method is an account you can create where you make payment with a credit card and they receive payment as cash.

There is a flat fee for using WU as form of payment which is usually cheaper than PP fees and the 10% foreign exchange fee from credit card payments.

WU is my favorite form of payment anymore.

LoweTimeKeeper

Several of the TDs take PayPal which is by far the safest way to pay, just be sure to NEVER mention anything in the notes section, especially nothing about watches or reps or anything like that!!!

It's funny you say that because my main concern with amazingclock was paying by card, I used to pay Perfect Clones (TD) by card but a few weeks after on two occasions someone in a foreign country started trying to use my card and thankfully my bank caught it and called me. Might have been a coincidence but I never use my card online accept for that so I reckon it was that!

At least with western union you're not giving out your bank or card details to anyone!!!!!!!!

DC

One more thing, since you seem to love PP so much. I've always admired the Nautilus and love how it has that beautiful brushes metal atop of polished metal. I was wondering if I could find a Nautilus with a steel bracelet around 39mm since that seems to be the best size for my wrist. Any recommendations?

_DC_

Youre in luck my friend, that's give or take exactly how big the Nautilus is! It's very similar in proportion to the 15300.....

See....

9BE700A3-1E16-4E93-A0E8-4447D42D2E91_zpswpjamusy.jpg

DC