Sign in to follow this  
ellistyle1

First Seiko Project Advice

ellistyle1

This isn't about technical stuff or how to--that will come later. Still haven't have ever taken the back off of a watch. I am looking for some design/aesthetics then possibly sourcing advice.

Here is the watch as it is:

2014-10-16080712_zps7bb55e46.jpg

Here is the dial that is in the air (no date window):

IMG_6980.jpg

I will need a chapter ring. What should I go for? I am shooting for a vintage pilot looking piece. I would love to create something that approximates an IWC or JLC XI Pilot. That is pie in the sky, I know.

What do you think?

Daywatch

Hi, nice project, I´d take the one on the full left or full right. Just make sure, You purchase the exact dial for the movement You have in it (Dagaz or Yuki are the ones I know). Only technical aspect to confirm/make sure, is I think on this one the stem has to be pushed fully in before/when You depress the release trigger to push it out.

solkryssare

I like it better the way it is but that is just me.......

andyboy

You might struggle to get a chapter ring to fit without getting something custom made.

The chapter rings that Dagaz supply are for dive watches and won`t fit your model.

I would send Harold an email and see what he has that would fit.

Other option is to strip the original chapter ring and paint it yourself.

ellistyle1

I like it better the way it is but that is just me.......

This was another option I have chambered--and perhaps the most practical one based on my experience. I should probably buy another watch to kill for this build.

ellistyle1

You might struggle to get a chapter ring to fit without getting something custom made.

The chapter rings that Dagaz supply are for dive watches and won`t fit your model.

I would send Harold an email and see what he has that would fit.

Other option is to strip the original chapter ring and paint it yourself.

I've wondered if that might work. The chapter ring in there now certainly wouldn't compliment the dial I bought.

BenjaminButton

I'd happily wear that watch as is. Like most seikos the design is sharp and well balanced - the dial, the chapter ring and the size of the hands allthough busy are sharp and well ordered. Modding is designing and designing something isn't easy. Research yobokies watches see if he has modded this model and base yours on that if your looking for inspiration. And a piece of design advice, if you do come across suitable parts on yobokies or dagaz print out pictures of the parts cut them out and then you can see them a lot more clearly side by side. So much easier than endless clicking back and forth from screen to screen.

ellistyle1

I'd happily wear that watch as is. Like most seikos the design is sharp and well balanced - the dial, the chapter ring and the size of the hands allthough busy are sharp and well ordered. Modding is designing and designing something isn't easy. Research yobokies watches see if he has modded this model and base yours on that if your looking for inspiration. And a piece of design advice, if you do come across suitable parts on yobokies or dagaz print out pictures of the parts cut them out and then you can see them a lot more clearly side by side. So much easier than endless clicking back and forth from screen to screen.

Thanks! Good advice. This watch is staying as is. I've decided that it is about perfect for what it is and not the piece I should practice modding on.