Sign in to follow this  
roberto

Is time running out for the Wristwatch?

Tressles61

I read somewhere that a man's wristwatch today is not only a fashion statement but it defines ones taste and wealth.

trailboss99

Is it? Hell no!

Col.

peter

I didn't wear a watch for about two years. With clocks on my phone, bedside alarm clock, on the wall, on the PC screen, on the tv (they show bloomberg at work), on the tube displays - what was the point?

But I found girls looking at my left wrist hoping to find the time and simply finding some skin. Some even commented that I should wear a watch - women find it sexy.

Never seen without a watch now.

dingle
I didn't wear a watch for about two years. With clocks on my phone, bedside alarm clock, on the wall, on the PC screen, on the tv (they show bloomberg at work), on the tube displays - what was the point?

But I found girls looking at my left wrist hoping to find the time and simply finding some skin. Some even commented that I should wear a watch - women find it sexy.

Never seen without a watch now.

notice, the ladies do....;)

Brightlight

It's probably correct as watches are becoming an anachronism, but I think the high end mechanical watches will remain for a while as people by and large don't buy them to be able to tell the time. Lower end watches may evolve into more of a jewellery function or disappear altogether, les and less young people are wearing watches nowadays.

I remember getting my first watch in the 50's, and how it empowered me and made me feel adult to be able to know how much time was left in a lesson, or what time a movie started or a bus arrived, and I could go out and play knowing I would be back when required. Later as I grew up I could travel to an appointment knowing I would get there on time, or if held up unexpectedly know to find a phone box (how life has changed!) and call ahead that I would be late. All this is now so much easier with a mobile phone and I guess kids get the same feeling of empowerment when they get their first phone.

sfa437

Interesting article but I guess I must be old school- I never rely on anything BUT my watches to find the time, even when I am surrounded by displays of varying intensity showing the time as displyed by an atomic super-chronometer somewhere. Hell even in the sandbox I'd be referring to my UPO while the vehicle's computer system had a time display right in front of me.

Something just feels right about raising your left wrist to check the time and that is something that will never go away (at least for me).

My kneebiter has a gen Breitling Colt GMT he got for his 10th birthday and it NEVER leaves his wrist. Little bugger asked for a custom dive strap (black and royal blue) for his birthday this past year. Guess having class is genetic ;)

Vector
I read somewhere that a man's wristwatch today is not only a fashion statement but it defines ones taste and wealth.

Shit !! im a cheap fake !!!

sfa437

Shit !! im a cheap fake !!!

Buying gens defines one's taste and wealth. Buying a good replica defines one's intelligence ;)

speedzmaster

The WatchCuffâ„¢ begs to differ! :notworthy:

Baldrick

Mechanical wristwatches are not going anywhere fast or soon, other than upwards and onwards, there has been an absolute explosion in the past 20-25 years of new brands, a huge percentage of them in the 'haute horologerie' sector, not to mention new mechanical innovations, easier access to grand complications / tourbillons / rattrapante movements et al, this development would not be taking place if there was no market or the market couldn't be created.

The wristwatch market encompasses everything from cheap Chinese watches to pieces over a million pounds, young people may have access to more reliable time indicators such as phones / tablets etc etc, but even in that demographic cheap fashionable watches are de rigeur, with big quirky case designs and broad straps, what we shouldn't forget and sometimes do ( because we envision only a Western European / American marketplace), that in Asia there is a HUGE market for 'fashionable' items and wristwatches are a significant part of that market, mobile phones whilst loaded with features and functions will never have the desirability factor that a quality watch does, ask yourself this, if you were to be robbed and they gave you the choice of having your mobile boosted or your Submariner, which would you choose, I KNOW THE ANSWER :D

Our particular sector of the market, the luxury end is well served by both old and new marques, witness the explosion of newer companies such as Carlo Croco's Hublot ( founded in the late 60's), U-Boat / B&R etc, and then the re-emergence of companies such as Panerai / Bueche Girod / Favre Leuba and many many others, not to mention the plethora of wristwatch magzines that grace our bookshelfs nowadays, IWW / QP / Wristwatch, sheez, in Thailand there are about 4 that deal specifically with the subject.

Au contraire Roberto, the wristwatch industry / market is very much alive and kicking and will continue to do so, in particular with men being the driving force behind it, it's the one piece of " joallerie" that defines a man, very much in the way that his shoes do, a man can wear the the most crumpled of linen suits as long as he is wearing great shoes he can carry it off, the same goes for watches, if you're wearing a great suit and great shoes, but a piece of tat on your wrist, you haven't started your journey, never mind arrived JMO ( BIKIR) ;)

Brightlight
Mechanical wristwatches are not going anywhere fast or soon, other than upwards and onwards, there has been an absolute explosion in the past 20-25 years of new brands, a huge percentage of them in the 'haute horologerie' sector, not to mention new mechanical innovations, easier access to grand complications / tourbillons / rattrapante movements et al, this development would not be taking place if there was no market or the market couldn't be created.

The wristwatch market encompasses everything from cheap Chinese watches to pieces over a million pounds, young people may have access to more reliable time indicators such as phones / tablets etc etc, but even in that demographic cheap fashionable watches are de rigeur, with big quirky case designs and broad straps, what we shouldn't forget and sometimes do ( because we envision only a Western European / American marketplace), that in Asia there is a HUGE market for 'fashionable' items and wristwatches are a significant part of that market, mobile phones whilst loaded with features and functions will never have the desirability factor that a quality watch does, ask yourself this, if you were to be robbed and they gave you the choice of having your mobile boosted or your Submariner, which would you choose, I KNOW THE ANSWER :D

Our particular sector of the market, the luxury end is well served by both old and new marques, witness the explosion of newer companies such as Carlo Croco's Hublot ( founded in the late 60's), U-Boat / B&R etc, and then the re-emergence of companies such as Panerai / Bueche Girod / Favre Leuba and many many others, not to mention the plethora of wristwatch magzines that grace our bookshelfs nowadays, IWW / QP / Wristwatch, sheez, in Thailand there are about 4 that deal specifically with the subject.

Au contraire Roberto, the wristwatch industry / market is very much alive and kicking and will continue to do so, in particular with men being the driving force behind it, it's the one piece of " joallerie" that defines a man, very much in the way that his shoes do, a man can wear the the most crumpled of linen suits as long as he is wearing great shoes he can carry it off, the same goes for watches, if you're wearing a great suit and great shoes, but a piece of tat on your wrist, you haven't started your journey, never mind arrived JMO ( BIKIR) ;)

Good point Baldy, we do tend to think Western only. Last time I was in Malaysia I was surprised that everyone seems to be wearing a fancy watch, not something you see too much among young people here.

mspangl
The WatchCuffâ„¢ begs to differ! :D

;)

id like to see the reactions of some ppl if they see the watchcuff..

sfa437
The WatchCuffâ„¢ begs to differ! :D

;)

id like to see the reactions of some ppl if they see the watchcuff..

Burning at the stake comes to mind....