Sign in to follow this  
ElvisFreak

What is our reps are made of metals toxic to humans?

ElvisFreak

Ah...

Ok, then I

From some research, I found out that tin and copper are used to make bronze. And some,scientists and doctors have come forward to forwarn us that tin( a common metal used in making many, many things), may be toxic to humans on many levels as well as carcinogenic ....

Any metallurgists in the membership?

cufflink

I will be more worried about my can food than my rep =\

_DC_

Haha, food "tins" aren't made of tin they're made of aluminium!!

DC

ShovelnTC

DC

Anyone who has seen a rusty old food tin knows they aren't all made from aluminium.

Kleen™

DC

Aluminum for the 'muricans...just like titanum, uranum and plutonum....

Kaiser

DC

Actually, depending on the location many tins are still made of tinplated steel

anfalas

........oh man, not this shit again!!

No idea about the rest of you but I don't spend a huge amount of time sucking my watches so I figure any risk of fatal toxin ingestion must be slim ;)

RUSH2112

Don't insert your watch into any of your orifices. You will be fine. We are all going to die. Some sooner than others. Relax and enjoy your watches.

Gazzla

I'm having a PAM Bronzo - KW, none of that Noob rubbish - for dinner tonight, followed by a nice, tasty rose gold AT day/date.

I'll let you know if I have any ill effects . . .

anfalas

I'm having a PAM Bronzo - KW, none of that Noob rubbish - for dinner tonight, followed by a nice, tasty rose gold AT day/date.

.....will we notice the difference mate? :lmao:

Gazzla

Probably not. I'll still be talking bollocks . . .

PAM 063 photoshoot later after I've eaten my watches.

:lmao:

Foxindebox

No licking your Bronzo's then guys (or anyone else's Bronzo for that matter!!!!) ;))

greg_r

Given that our reps are made of the same stuff as the gen manufacturers are using, this is really a non-issue...

anfalas

Probably not. I'll still be talking bollocks . . .

PAM 063 photoshoot later after I've eaten my watches.

:lmao:

......emm, come to think of it I talk rather a lot of crap myself.......................maybe I do need to stop licking me watches :blowup:

plankton

If we are to breach this topic, first i'm unaware of the Bronzos having any carcinogenic qualities in them. Bronze is the summation from tin and copper in one heavy metal.

Daytona_Dreamer

I don’t want to be too much of an egghead here. But this is an interesting fallacy about dangers of tin among other substances, mostly because of the mixing of apples and oranges in terms of the forms discussed.

Tin as a metal is relatively inert and not readily absorbed at the skin. Tin alloys also are stable. Tin oxides when produced are relatively safe. If tin is digested, it is readily excreted and does not build up in the system. Even if tin is digested in large amounts, the symptoms produced are not really poisonous the way we would commonly equate, i.e. lethal. Human volunteers ingesting more than 5 times the legal limit allowed in food developed only mild signs of toxicity. Symptoms are nausea vomiting and diarrhea, and have rarely been reported with clear connection to tin outside of research settings.

Industrially produced organotin compounds on the other hand can be very toxic and potentially lethal. "Tri-n-alkyltins" are phytotoxic and may be used as bactericides and fungicides. Tin inhalation, either from tin in welding solder or industrially can produce lung reaction landing one in the hospital. The inhalation of zinc or tin vapors produced an acute limited pneumonitis, which can be treated.

As far as cancer, an indium-tin oxide (ITO) study found clear evidence of carcinogenicity of inhaled ITO in male and female rats but not clear evidence in mice. Chronic pulmonary lesions resulted from inhaled ITO in both rats and mice. Clearly ITO used in electronics and manufacturing is very dangerous.

Bottom line is that tin is inert and nontoxic in pure form. Tin is safe even when it manages to get into foods. Only industrial produced organotin is dangerous, especially when inhaled. I must agree with Anfalas, because tin is very poorly absorbed through the skin, the only effect from a tin based watch would come from licking it. And because of the well tolerated amounts, you’d have to lick your watch all day to get mildly sick from the small amount of tin present.

Cheers

Adverse Drug React Acute Poisoning Rev. 1988 Spring;7(1):19-38.

Toxicity of tin and its compounds.

Winship KA.

Abstract

Inorganic tin salts are poorly absorbed and rapidly excreted in the faeces; as a result they have a low toxicity. Only about 5 per cent is absorbed from the gastrointestinal tract, widely distributed in the body, then excreted by the kidney. Some tin is deposited in lung and bone. Some tin salts can cause renal necrosis after parenteral doses. Mutagenic studies on metallic tin and its compounds have been negative. Long-term animal carcinogenic studies have shown fewer malignant tumours in animals exposed to tin than in controls. Human volunteers developed mild signs of toxicity with tin, given in fruit juices, at a concentration of 1400 mg per litre. The WHO 1973 permissible limit for tin in tinned food is 250 micrograms per kg. The adult daily intake of tin was about 17 mg per day in 1940, but it has now decreased to about 3.5 mg, due to improvements in technique of tinning with enamel overcoat and crimped lids to minimize exposure to tin and lead solder. This level is well below the level of 5-7 mg per kg body weight shown to give rise to toxic symptoms. Tin deficiency has not been described in man. Amounts in excess of 130 mg per day have been shown to accumulate in liver and kidneys. Many of the organotin compounds are toxic; the most toxic being trimethyltin and triethyltin, which are well absorbed from the gastrointestinal tract. Most of the other alkyl and aryltin compounds are poorly absorbed from the gastrointestinal tract, and are therefore less toxic when given orally than when given parenterally. The main results of toxicity are skin and eye irritation; cholangitis of the lower biliary tract, and later hepatotoxicity; and neurotoxicity, which has been shown to be due to intramyelin oedema induced by triethyltin, and neuronal necrosis caused by trimethyltin. Many of the organotin compounds affect mitochondrial oxidative phosphorylation and alter membranes, but the contribution of these biochemical and membrane effects in the cause of intramyelin oedema and neuronal necrosis has not been fully clarified. Widespread degeneration results, especially with trimethyltin. Peripheral neuropathy has not been reported as occurring with either inorganic or organic tin in humans. Certain dialkyltin compounds have been shown to cause adverse effects on cell-mediated immunity, specifically on the T cell lymphocyte. Experimental studies have failed to reveal any evidence of carcinogenicity, mutagenicity, or teratogenicity. Recent studies suggest that tin compounds exhibit some antitumour activity and may have a future role in cancer diagnosis and chemotherapy, and in controlling hyperbilirubinaemia.

NMA

DC

Anyone who has seen a rusty old food tin knows they aren't all made from aluminium.

DC

Tins at seashore yeah, but I never seen a rusty old watch or bracelet, even 80 years old

TheSav

Eating food high in saturated fat and sodium, constantly using a mobile phone, spray on deodorant, fly spray, breathing in the exhaust fumes of the vehicle in front of you and reading topics such as this are far more damaging to your health than whatever watch you decide to wear on your wrist.

dave1978
I don’t want to be too much of an egghead here. But this is an interesting fallacy about dangers of tin among other substances, mostly because of the mixing of apples and oranges in terms of the forms discussed.

Tin as a metal is relatively inert and not readily absorbed at the skin. Tin alloys also are stable. Tin oxides when produced are relatively safe. If tin is digested, it is readily excreted and does not build up in the system. Even if tin is digested in large amounts, the symptoms produced are not really poisonous the way we would commonly equate, i.e. lethal. Human volunteers ingesting more than 5 times the legal limit allowed in food developed only mild signs of toxicity. Symptoms are nausea vomiting and diarrhea, and have rarely been reported with clear connection to tin outside of research settings.

Industrially produced organotin compounds on the other hand can be very toxic and potentially lethal. "Tri-n-alkyltins" are phytotoxic and may be used as bactericides and fungicides. Tin inhalation, either from tin in welding solder or industrially can produce lung reaction landing one in the hospital. The inhalation of zinc or tin vapors produced an acute limited pneumonitis, which can be treated.

As far as cancer, an indium-tin oxide (ITO) study found clear evidence of carcinogenicity of inhaled ITO in male and female rats but not clear evidence in mice. Chronic pulmonary lesions resulted from inhaled ITO in both rats and mice. Clearly ITO used in electronics and manufacturing is very dangerous.

Bottom line is that tin is inert and nontoxic in pure form. Tin is safe even when it manages to get into foods. Only industrial produced organotin is dangerous, especially when inhaled. I must agree with Anfalas, because tin is very poorly absorbed through the skin, the only effect from a tin based watch would come from licking it. And because of the well tolerated amounts, you’d have to lick your watch all day to get mildly sick from the small amount of tin present.

Cheers

Adverse Drug React Acute Poisoning Rev. 1988 Spring;7(1):19-38.

Toxicity of tin and its compounds.

Winship KA.

Abstract

Inorganic tin salts are poorly absorbed and rapidly excreted in the faeces; as a result they have a low toxicity. Only about 5 per cent is absorbed from the gastrointestinal tract, widely distributed in the body, then excreted by the kidney. Some tin is deposited in lung and bone. Some tin salts can cause renal necrosis after parenteral doses. Mutagenic studies on metallic tin and its compounds have been negative. Long-term animal carcinogenic studies have shown fewer malignant tumours in animals exposed to tin than in controls. Human volunteers developed mild signs of toxicity with tin, given in fruit juices, at a concentration of 1400 mg per litre. The WHO 1973 permissible limit for tin in tinned food is 250 micrograms per kg. The adult daily intake of tin was about 17 mg per day in 1940, but it has now decreased to about 3.5 mg, due to improvements in technique of tinning with enamel overcoat and crimped lids to minimize exposure to tin and lead solder. This level is well below the level of 5-7 mg per kg body weight shown to give rise to toxic symptoms. Tin deficiency has not been described in man. Amounts in excess of 130 mg per day have been shown to accumulate in liver and kidneys. Many of the organotin compounds are toxic; the most toxic being trimethyltin and triethyltin, which are well absorbed from the gastrointestinal tract. Most of the other alkyl and aryltin compounds are poorly absorbed from the gastrointestinal tract, and are therefore less toxic when given orally than when given parenterally. The main results of toxicity are skin and eye irritation; cholangitis of the lower biliary tract, and later hepatotoxicity; and neurotoxicity, which has been shown to be due to intramyelin oedema induced by triethyltin, and neuronal necrosis caused by trimethyltin. Many of the organotin compounds affect mitochondrial oxidative phosphorylation and alter membranes, but the contribution of these biochemical and membrane effects in the cause of intramyelin oedema and neuronal necrosis has not been fully clarified. Widespread degeneration results, especially with trimethyltin. Peripheral neuropathy has not been reported as occurring with either inorganic or organic tin in humans. Certain dialkyltin compounds have been shown to cause adverse effects on cell-mediated immunity, specifically on the T cell lymphocyte. Experimental studies have failed to reveal any evidence of carcinogenicity, mutagenicity, or teratogenicity. Recent studies suggest that tin compounds exhibit some antitumour activity and may have a future role in cancer diagnosis and chemotherapy, and in controlling hyperbilirubinaemia.

That's what I was thinking

James.

reading topics such as this are far more damaging to your health than whatever watch you decide to wear on your wrist.

And Bingo was his name'O

RichardMiami

Why did my left arm just fall off!

James.

Excessive compulsive masturbation?

plankton

Excessive compulsive masturbation?

That would make it stronger.....................................

markeym3

Eating food high in saturated fat and sodium, constantly using a mobile phone, spray on deodorant, fly spray, breathing in the exhaust fumes of the vehicle in front of you and reading topics such as this are far more damaging to your health than whatever watch you decide to wear on your wrist.

^^^^This 100% ... there is loads more shit going on to be worried about ...

scorpion

Very few watches are made of Bronze. Some cheap reps (and i mean very very cheap sub £25) may be made of pot metal a mix of all sorts of crap and then chromium plated. Any rep bought off a TD here will be made of Stainless Steel - the stuff your kitchen sink is made of, a very stable steel that wont rust and is also sometimes called Surgical Steel. Its as safe as you can get. A few might be titanium and again that's safe - think about it they put surgical plates and screws inside bodies during operations so no worries on your wrist.

However just to keep you 100% safe i will PM you my address and you can send me all your reps in exchange for a old plastic Swatch watch that will be much better for you. :giggle: