Sign in to follow this  
RocketSurgeon

To chrono or not to chrono-first rep

RocketSurgeon

Hey everybody, I'm new to the forum and looking to get my first rep. I've read through all of the recommended noob reading, and I noticed some recommendation against the 7750 chronograph movements. I noticed that info was from 2009, and I'm assuming some major improvements have happened since then. I'm a big Omega fan, and I especially like the chrono watches, but I want to make sure that's advisable. Are the 7750 movements still fragile and impossible to get parts for? I really want my first rep to be solid enough to wear frequently and reliable enough to use the chrono from time to time. Are the Chrono Planet Ocean reps as good as the non-chrono versions, and would I be safe with the 7750 movement, or should I stick with the non-chrono version for reliability? Thanks everybody

nsbrando

i believe you be more satisfied with a non chorine planet ocean. just more reliable in my opinion

flyr

Welcome to the forum!

You would be deceiving yourself to think there has been any real improvement in the A7750 movement.

You could be lucky,but you might not be.

In any case every time you used the chrono, you will be wondering if the dials will reset correctly.

Repairs if needed can be expensive.

Find a watch you like with the A2836/2824 clone, as a first rep, a watch with one of these movements should give you good service.

But if your heart is set on a chrono, get one!

Who knows you may get lucky. :thumbsup:

Simms

Ideally, keep your first watch as simple as possible. Avoid chrono until you have a little more experience and figure out the do's and dont's of chronos and a7759 movements. Good luck!

Daytona_Dreamer

Greg_r provides a great discussion of the various movements here:

I have yet to find out myself, but have a chrono rep with Lemania movement coming my way soon. So we shall see. But I would agree that there is much more risk with any chrono.

http://www.rwg.bz/board/index.php?showtopic=6930

RocketSurgeon

Looks like I'll stick with a non-chrono version, I don't want to constantly wonder if it's going to have a problem. What modern design Planet Ocean is the most accurate rep? Is there anything close to a "Super-rep?"

NFleischer

Welcome- the Noob Ceramic PO is a great rep, as is the Liquid Metal version.

DSCN0332_zps6efcc7fe.jpg

agordan11
Welcome- the Noob Ceramic PO is a great rep, as is the Liquid Metal version.

DSCN0332_zps6efcc7fe.jpg

Is this the 45mm or 42mm? Which is a better rep in your opinion?

Daywatch

Not-to-chrono first rep

The only reason not-to-chrono on the first one is that You will have no rep at all if You have to send it to repairs. Solution: get a chrono and a non-chrono on the first order.

Reason 2: rep-chronos are definitely not waterproof or difficult to wp, too many pushers and leak possibilities;

Think of the chrono-function as being decorative, for looks (and for rare use). If You want a real stop-watch to use several times a day just get a quartz-rep, those are 99% reliable and some have microstepper movements for the main seconds hand;

wqleow

Since this is your first rep, get a non-chrono watch first to minimise any possible dead-on-arrival watches or watches that stop moving after a few weeks.

The A7750 movements are prone to stopping but that's because the movements are usually dry and dirty. A good service will usually allow the movement to last many many years. But you will need to have an easily available watchsmith.

As for the Omegas, the Plenat Oceans (PO) are one of the best and most accurate reps out there. I personally have a LMPO (Liquid Metal PO) from Noob and I love it.

I have a skinny wrist of 6.5" and I find the 42mm just about the largest my wrist can afford.

An good alternative choice would be the Aqua Terra. There has been many good models released recently.

Daywatch

My choices would be the Noob LMPO "edit: discontinued and remaining left-overs probably not so good" or the Omega Seamaster 300m co-axial (the new vintage - looking one) http://www.hodinkee....master-co-axial

IronBoy

Also new to reps. The main function of a watch gen or rep would be to give reliable time and hopefully last long. Read through tons of threads here and on the other forum. Got myself 3 non chrono reps 2 with swiss movements serviced by Vac and one with Miyota. Hoping these rep watches serve me well. Good luck buddy!

Edited by IronBoy

69-Watch

I have many chronos, most are 7750, have had no problems with any, (fingers crossed)

But did sell one to a noob and got it back broke! So if you don't know the do's and dont's

Of a 7750 then you may want to wait and read up on them more. As stated the quartz

Chrono's are rock solid, great for a daily beater! Good luck with your new addiction!

funkmaster

i have had my tag chrono running since i got my watch and its been like close to 4 weeks.i just like the long second hand continuously running.

SSTEEL

If you really like the look of a watch with the A7750 movement, and if its a A7750 with seconds in its native position @9, then go for it. They can be perfectly fine, but whatever you do, don't drop the watch as these movements are delicate. If you do drop your watch, issues that may arise are hour brake may disengage, and/or rotor becoming detached from its bearing (depending on the actual rotor fitted to the particular rep).

Left Coast Guy

I'd categorize it like this -- known issues with makers or models aside, any rep has a 5% chance of being a dud or dying early, but for a 7750 that number is closer to 10%. Likewise, the time before your mov't needs service will be shorter for a 7750 vs non-chrono mov'ts. So the odds are you'll be fine, but the chance is still larger than most folks would want to take. And to make it worse, there is no "cheap" service for that 7750....you're almost better buying a new mov't and replacing it.

That said, if you don't know how to handle your 7750 mov't properly, you may as well triple that 10% chance to 30%.

Kernow

I've around eleven A7750 and three have (or do) needed fixing. If you do decide on a chrono, then the best choice is a Swiss 7750 or failing that get a A7750 and have it serviced once it's arrived with you. If your heart is set on one then go for it but be aware that it may have problems but these can mostly be fixed by either a local watch smith of some of our great members here.

Superduke

Hi. I'm bumping in here because i got the same sort of question as the topic starter. Also looking for my first Omega rep and really like the seamaster models. In the prize range i am looking for i see asian 2813 21 jewels automatic movements, are these any good?

Or should i better go 'safe' and get a quartz? I want something reliable but like the looks of the sweeping mechanical dial.

mach19

I d advice you to pick a chrono if it s only for a matter of design... But dont use it. Those movements can be real bitches.

morino

I'm facing a similar problem right now and weighing my options betwen an AP Royal Oak Chronograph (Quartz) and an automatic version with a Miyota movement. They're both in a price range of approx. 200$, so we're talking ''entry level''. It depends on how much you want to spend on your rep I guess. I definitely wouldn't go for a cheap mechanical Chrono. Quartz is definitely more reliable and it's going to serve you better

black263

The A7750 is a reliable movement in my experience, as long as the running seconds are at 9, and you are VERY delicate with any hand-winding. The hand-winding mechanism has been described as clockwork chocolate, and it is all too easy to strip the teeth on the mechanism, if you are at all rough with it. Having said that, I've never had a problem with gently hand-winding a watch with an A7750 mechanism.

Where it all goes to worms is when this mechanism is used in a replica with running seconds at any other position. You now need additional transfer gears between the 9 position, where the A7750 running seconds is located, and wherever else on the watch the running seconds hand has been moved. This causes strain on the watch and can cause all sorts of problems. Have a read of the A7750 threads in my signature.

Mr Stubbs

Hi. I'm bumping in here because i got the same sort of question as the topic starter. Also looking for my first Omega rep and really like the seamaster models. In the prize range i am looking for i see asian 2813 21 jewels automatic movements, are these any good?

Or should i better go 'safe' and get a quartz? I want something reliable but like the looks of the sweeping mechanical dial.

No one can decide this for you. The 2813 is about the cheapest movement made, and quality varies a LOT. I have a Bell & Ross with 2813 that starts moving just by lifting it. It's accurate and has excellent power reserve. I also have a PO with 2813 that just randomly stops. I believe the issues are due to poor assembly / lack of quality control at the low end price point rather than the movement itself. If you really want a chrono in a low cost rep, quartz is the way to go. Also anything with the Seagull ST-19 (often inaccurately referred to as "Lemania" or "Venus" on the the dealers' websites) is a good choice for a chrono if you like manual wind.

FL13

7750 is fine w/sec @9.

Dont hand wind it, use the auto wind.

Only reset the chrono when beween 10 and 2.

Never set the date between 10 and 4.

I had one that ran fine at 9. And no issues with any functions... and this was a 7751 with full calendar.

Cheers

Superduke

No one can decide this for you. The 2813 is about the cheapest movement made, and quality varies a LOT. I have a Bell & Ross with 2813 that starts moving just by lifting it. It's accurate and has excellent power reserve. I also have a PO with 2813 that just randomly stops. I believe the issues are due to poor assembly / lack of quality control at the low end price point rather than the movement itself. If you really want a chrono in a low cost rep, quartz is the way to go. Also anything with the Seagull ST-19 (often inaccurately referred to as "Lemania" or "Venus" on the the dealers' websites) is a good choice for a chrono if you like manual wind.

Thanks. I did some research on the 2813 and read very different opinions, like you say quality varies. How is the average quality of let's say a $100 rep?

If i go for a chrono i definitely go for quartz.