mysterio

Review of the KW PAM 438 "Tuttonero"

walkingcloud

Have this myself, love this watch!

machiavegli

Great watch, but it desperately needs an AR crystal, don't you think?

Gen seems to need the same.

3j8foWR.png

This is true. Gen PAM AR is so-so, so rep AR not a big deal. I've got an AD down the block from me in La Jolla and its nothing like an AP or similar

-Mach

Solankidon

Hi - I'm pretty much new to this forum.. I want to buy this Panerai 438. Kuvarsit are away on hols. Does anyone have this for sale?

funkmaster

i am looking to buy this in 2 weeks... which site is recommended? with the Canadian dollar so low, it sucks to pay almost $600+ CAD

henrychinaski

i am looking to buy this in 2 weeks... which site is recommended? with the Canadian dollar so low, it sucks to pay almost $600+ CAD

I think I'm going to go with Kuvarsit. The AUD is low too, I feel your pain!

mach19

Hi - I'm pretty much new to this forum.. I want to buy this Panerai 438. Kuvarsit are away on hols. Does anyone have this for sale?

Trusty can get it :) Asked him a few weeks ago ;)

Khronos

I'd like to know how does a ceramic watch feel? Is it lightweight like titanium or closer to SS? Does it warm up really fast like titanium? I really need to know because I hate titanium watches because they feel to lightweight, almost like plastic...I needs me a mans watch :)

mysterio

I'd like to know how does a ceramic watch feel? Is it lightweight like titanium or closer to SS? Does it warm up really fast like titanium? I really need to know because I hate titanium watches because they feel to lightweight, almost like plastic...I needs me a mans watch :)

Actually ceramic is closer to titanium in weight. That's why DLCed titanium is preferred over DLCed steel when making a replica of a ceramic composite PAM.

Khronos

That's what I was afraid of...I had a titanium watch once (Citizen Ecozilla) and hated it just because the weight didn' t match its looks..it felt so cheap..

mysterio

That's what I was afraid of...I had a titanium watch once (Citizen Ecozilla) and hated it just because the weight didn' t match its looks..it felt so cheap..

I don't have a 44mm titanium watch so I couldn't do a direct head to head (literally since the PAM438 has a ceramic bracelet) weight comparison.

ALE7575

Ceramic and composite are the lighter materials for watches so far

Of course this watch will have a weight lighter than the same watch made of Ti.

Anyway the decorated movement is heavy and the watch is massive I don't think you will feel it like a light thing

Regarding it will seem as plastic, no worries about, the finish and apperance of this watch will be far from a plastic thing, no doubts

ALE

Khronos

Thanks for your thorough explanation. I've never had a ceramic watch in my hands and it's important to me the way things feel :) Maybe the Ecozilla was so lightweight because it was a quartz. I think I will go for the new Seagull PAM508, but I have to get some feedback on the forums and especially in your guide before I pull the trigger.

mysterio

The PAM438 is heavier than a similarly specced titanium PAM if my calculations are correct. Head is as heavy as a stainless steel PAM with a manual movement at least. And that's not including the bracelet, which increases its weight by around 62%. ;)

Khronos

There is no other way but to place an order and put it on the scale :) I usualy don't rush into things and like to read a couple of reviews first, but the 508 speaks to me like no other has for a long time :) I've read the review by killowattore on RWI and it blew me away and now we even have the Seagull version which I prefer and is considerably cheaper. Thanks mysterio for your input, it was of great use to me! I know that you know your PAMs ;)

mysterio

There is no other way but to place an order and put it on the scale :) I usualy don't rush into things and like to read a couple of reviews first, but the 508 speaks to me like no other has for a long time :) I've read the review by killowattore on RWI and it blew me away and now we even have the Seagull version which I prefer and is considerably cheaper. Thanks mysterio for your input, it was of great use to me! I know that you know your PAMs ;)

And that's what I did. ;) You are most welcome. I am actually placing an order for the 508 soon. :D

Khronos
:thumbsup:

Khronos

I've just noticed that the Seagull 438 has been released by KW!!!!! And it's quite affordable this one :)

ALE7575

I've just noticed that the Seagull 438 has been released by KW!!!!! And it's quite affordable this one :)

Have you got the links ??

ALE

chenzomg

It's available at that price from super mirrors over on repgeek mate. Think trusty is selling the same but for quite a bit more.

mysterio

Dealer to dealer price will vary but if you're a good customer you can probably get it for lower. :)

Khronos

The lowest I've seen was advertised at 369$. Plus the damn transshipping fee for me, of course...

chenzomg

I am very very tempted to purchase this now it's availble at a decent price but I have no experience with a seagull movement.

Has anyone any prior knowledge of them? Reliability etc? I assume everything else about this version is the same?

mysterio

I have PAMs with the seagull movement from about a year ago. Still running well. :)

ag69

UPDATE:

Oh I almost forgot. How do you resize the bracelet? Well, unless you're very handy with a small hammer and pin tool, which I am not, I suggest you bring it to a watchsmith, which I did. laugh.gif The locking mechanism is composed of two parts, a long black pin which runs through the width of the link, and a short stainless steel sleeve which fits in the middle part of the link. The black pin is force fitted through the middle ss sleeve and thus holds the links in place. To remove the pin, you must hammer a pin of the same or slightly smaller diameter to move the pin out, then pull the rest of the pin with some pliers. I've arranged the parts in the right side of the picture below. The left side shows the pin almost inserted completely through the link.

jN77Efk.jpg?1

Thanks for this info.!! Just got a 438 and was to afraid to remove the links to resize the bracelet. After reading your instructions, I was able to do it without scratching the bracelet.

mysterio

UPDATE:

Oh I almost forgot. How do you resize the bracelet? Well, unless you're very handy with a small hammer and pin tool, which I am not, I suggest you bring it to a watchsmith, which I did. laugh.gif The locking mechanism is composed of two parts, a long black pin which runs through the width of the link, and a short stainless steel sleeve which fits in the middle part of the link. The black pin is force fitted through the middle ss sleeve and thus holds the links in place. To remove the pin, you must hammer a pin of the same or slightly smaller diameter to move the pin out, then pull the rest of the pin with some pliers. I've arranged the parts in the right side of the picture below. The left side shows the pin almost inserted completely through the link.

jN77Efk.jpg?1

Thanks for this info.!! Just got a 438 and was to afraid to remove the links to resize the bracelet. After reading your instructions, I was able to do it without scratching the bracelet.

Congratulations on the pickup and being able to resize the bracelet on your own. :D