Sign in to follow this  
KBH

Couple of vintage Rollies

KBH

Here's a bunch of pix, in no particular order, of a couple of watches I've been playing with. The Great White is from Josh and came with 2836-2 which I replaced with a donor 2846 lo-beat that has been serviced by Speedy. The DRSD is made of assorted parts. It started as a older model Taiwan case with 21j. I've replaced the 21j with an Eta (maybe clone, can't remember). and it's got a gen older style insert and pearl. Notice the correct square 4 on the insert. Both crystals have been replaced with correct Clark's. GW a T-39 and DRSD with a T-19. One both I've tried to slightly brown the indices and hands to get rid of the rep yellow color. I'm currently waiting on the correct DRSD bracelet which is on the way from Mary.

DSCN4544.jpg

DSCN4539.jpg

DSCN4523.jpg

DSCN4520.jpg

DSCN4518.jpg

DSCN4517.jpg

DSCN4512.jpg

DSCN4507.jpg

DSCN4505.jpg

DSCN4500.jpg

DSCN4499.jpg

DSCN4495.jpg

DSCN4494.jpg

DSCN4491.jpg

DSCN4490.jpg

DSCN4487.jpg

DSCN4481.jpg

By the way, the DRSD is one of the more rare models without the HE valve. One of roughly 200 made. :)

From Wikipedia:

During the 1960s, the needs of professional marine divers working at great depths led to the development of the first 'ultra water resistant' tool watches designed for conducting safe diving operations at 300 m+ (1,000 ft+) depths.

The Rolex Oyster Perpetual Sea-Dweller Submariner 2000 (2000 ft = 610 m) that became available in 1967 was developed from the Submariner for the Comex S.A. industrial deep-sea diving company by increasing crystal thickness and was produced in several variations. It had a depth rating of 610 metres (2,000 ft) and its Rolex reference reference number was 1665.

The Sea-Dweller's integrated helium escape valve

Most Sea-Dweller watches incorporate a helium escape valve for saturation diving. Early Sea-Dwellers did not always have the helium escape valve. The model is also distinguished by the absence of the date magnifier ("cyclops") present on most other Rolex models.

Member X

Nice :)

I love the domed plexis on old rolexes!

Pentax

Nice Picts!

PGL
Nice :)

I love the domed plexis on old rolexes!

I do too...

Those look great!

turnipz

Howd you fade the bezel so nicely?

KBH
Howd you fade the bezel so nicely?

A quick dip in pool chlorine. The key is to keep a close eye one it and take it out before it's as faded as you want. And have some water ready to rinse it in.

turnipz

Nice, how long was that one in for? Just so I have some idea >

Edited by turnipz

pollux1

Top notch work KB, I love the work that has gone into these.

Aren

Great watches...

and fabulous photos ( I'm envious ) :)

KBH
Nice, how long was that one in for? Just so I have some idea >

To be honest I don't remember for sure. I did than one close to a year ago. I don't believe for more than a minute or two.

greg_r

real nice... I think maybe I need a vintage Rollie in my collection.... DAMMIT! :rofl:

alistairw

Beautiful work KBH, great pics as well.