_DC_

THE DC REVIEW: Patek Philippe 5970

_DC_

Think I've had about seven PM's asking about this already so sorry it's taken a few days but ya know, I have a job and that!!!

A touch of the old de-ja-vu here I know, this isn't the first 5970 rep review I've done, but a few months back I bought and reviewed what I thought was the best available 5970 rep, and it was a nice watch, but it's main issue was it was just too darn big at 45mm. Here's the one I'm talking about:

BD422747-82E4-4BD7-9CF5-76DD073DF6D6_zps7lqrp3q4.jpg

But bear with me, coz I found one that's a lot better (in my opinion)!!

Firstly let's just remind ourselves of the gen. According to many it's "the perfect watch", Patek's flagship model, their patented perpetual calendar chronograph:

FBC9CCCD-534A-430D-9FA9-5BCFB12155E0_zpsi84adrm5.jpg

It comes in four precious metals, the white gold 5970g, the yellow gold 5970j, the rose gold 5970r and the much coveted platinum 5970p with the black dial.

It's since been replaced by Patek's first watch with an in-house perpetual calendar chronograph movement, the 5270, but personally I think they got it so right with the 5970 that the new kid on the block just isn't as good. Here they are side by side, the 5970 is on the left, I'll let you decide which you prefer:

8A79C532-A4F1-4E08-BA52-C676FBF3A351_zpsr4spuljo.jpg

Now onto my new find. I stumbled across it in TS Watches special offers section, it's meant to be around $300 but I picked it up for $240 (it's now back at the original price, sorry folks). The first thing which instantly got my attention was their claim that it measured 40mm. Of course I didn't believe them since dealers are always misquoting sizes, and in photos it really doesn't look any smaller than my previous purchase, but after emailing TS Watches they confirmed it was 40mm so I ordered (still dubious that it would actually be the size they claimed)!

Well, when it arrived I opened it up and fuck me, it's only bloody 40mm!!!!!

It's hard to see in photos (and I will post some in a second I promise) but this watch really is resolutely little. It's wonderful!! The complicated dial just makes it appear even smaller, and even with its chunky lugs it doesn't hang off the sides of even my skinny little wrists!!

So onto some pictures, these took forever to take so be nice.

A few beauty shots:

F5F8FE33-853E-4FD6-8E8C-35519F612F39_zps0mmmlbrd.jpg

F6D45038-49FA-460B-8ACF-A07036F1A875_zpsrtca3dsv.jpg

20FB1D86-59E3-4A0C-8E13-A32DC1F0B6F0_zpss5uaifjc.jpg

Now it goes without saying this rep isn't particularly close to gen. It's really not very close to gen at all, I'm not gonna list the inaccuracies (I'm sure you guys will do that for me) but there are a lot of them. However, the things they got right are the important things. The size is right, even the lug width is the same stupid 21mm as the gen making replacement straps a pain in the arse (and believe my you will want a replacement strap coz it's crap). The shape is right, those lugs, that concave bezel. The dial colour is right, it changes from bright white to deep silver depending on the light just like the gen does and up close it has a lovely metallic sheen:

178560FA-9BAD-4E83-BF0C-612BAA3895E4_zpscmux9roe.jpg

So the subdials aren't right, that's mostly because it's not a chronograph as per the gen, but instead they made it functional with a day and date function in the subdials which actually all works flawlessly, ticking over at just gone midnight! The dial print is also some of the best I've seen, really sharp and defined and not too many messy edges. The date and year sit nicely in their sculpted little windows and the day/night indicator is a pleasant blue and gold colour:

D7685FCB-339B-4DEC-96D8-30358CFE5B2E_zpsdbxax8o1.jpg

F0705286-E363-4556-88BF-7E77D7EA158E_zps9445kng7.jpg

As for the movement, it's no lemania, it's not even hand wind, but that would be asking a lot and would be impossible at this case size and dial layout. Instead it houses a 25j A2838 which is another huge improvement over the traditional 21j found I these complicated Patek reps. I've honestly never seen one with a 25j base movement before now:

D9C77238-CE7A-421D-8E27-63F6EEB14FA3_zpsqsuzlsyt.jpg

In terms of overall finish, again this rep impresses. With the exception of the strap which as previously alluded to is typically stiff and plasticy, the rest is extremely well finished, sharp defined edges, high mirror polish and decent engravings on crown, lugs and buckle. And oh that buckle!!! It's superb. It's a shame I intend to get rid of it in favour of the correct deployant that the gen 5970 uses, but I'll certainly be using it for my Calatrava as it is beautiful:

E5406CFF-3E15-49C3-AB37-96DA717F5977_zpsygd94fbx.jpg

7BA1C931-C3A3-4FB9-9AD3-CF81861EC1A1_zpsub3tf4s4.jpg

31EA68FC-13E7-4EE9-A1B2-43C691440445_zpsbtuojsc3.jpg

C12DD7A1-E345-4D62-BE40-C81D3D12B6AC_zpslcisiml5.jpg

So in conclusion, it's not perfect, I'd prefer batons rather than diamonds on the dial (might look into a mod for this) and it's still not a convincing 5970 but then the gen is a $150,000 watch so that's not really surprising. But it's as close as I think a rep is ever going to get, and as I'm never likely to own the gen it's also as close as I'll ever get to owning my absolute favourite watch of all time!!

I'll leave you with a wrist shot and a comparison in size between the old rep and this one, as it's hard to see in pictures but this side by side makes it really clear how much of a difference that 5mm makes:

5FD7DB44-40E6-4C10-B3C2-16A4119083B4_zpslfnn6ctl.jpg

E10AF399-8ED1-4079-A779-AAB75453D040_zpsvxjlfv2w.jpg

Hope you've enjoyed the pictures, and if you want one just go look for it on TS Watches page!!

Thanks for reading/looking

DC

sunbites

Awesome review! :-) The only thing 'bugging' me about it is the "311" on date dial.

_DC_
Awesome review! :-) The only thing 'bugging' me about it is the "311" on date dial.

Seriously?! That's the thing that bugs you?!

I think maybe this hobby isn't for you sunbites you seem very picky lol!

DC

Duzza

Does the crown sit off the case like that all the time or is it pulled out?

sunbites

Seriously?! That's the thing that bugs you?!

I think maybe this hobby isn't for you sunbites you seem very picky lol!

DC

If it's not sarcasm then yeah lol :-D The diamonds are annoying too, but apart from that its a cracking watch :-)

dingle

Nice review. I agreed with sunbites.

:hide:

elp

So are you planning to get rid of that inaccurate, ugly, huge black-faced 5970?

If so, PM me :)

Gazzla

Nice review, Sir. :thumbsup:

kleban

Pretty watch - although I think the day/date subdials would bug me. I've had a cheapie Daytona rep with those and while it wasn't anything like the quality of your PP, it was those dang subdials that really wound me up (pun intended).

D_Chico

Awesome write up as usual Dave! :thumbsup:

Very nice! Congrats! :)

_DC_
Does the crown sit off the case like that all the time or is it pulled out?

I hacked it so it stayed at ten past two lol!

DC

So are you planning to get rid of that inaccurate, ugly, huge black-faced 5970?

If so, PM me :)

Already did weeks ago I'm afraid sir!

DC

anfalas

Very nice :)

.........bit disappointed you didn't do a wrist shot with the dressing gown though ;)

(unless that was a towel in the background!)

_DC_
Nice review. I agreed with sunbites.

:hide:

Why I autta'.....

Stuvetjee

Sick mate! Absolute love it! How awesome would a ST19 version be :D

sunbites

The crown engraving looks so much nicer than the one on my Nautilus lol

_DC_

Yeah that would be awesome, but I have a feeling the subdial positions would be wrong, even if they could mount the date functions on the top of it the watch would have to be so much larger for the subdials to appear in the correct place!

Could be wrong, I hope I am coz if they made it one day I'd be so happy!!

DC

sunbites

Yeah that would be awesome, but I have a feeling the subdial positions would be wrong, even if they could mount the date functions on the top of it the watch would have to be so much larger for the subdials to appear in the correct place!

Could be wrong, I hope I am coz if they made it one day I'd be so happy!!

DC

With all your watches and passion I wish you to own this Gen :-) You for sure deserve it sir; Patek could use you as a posterboy ;)

playinwittime

Those Patek Reps are saweeet

Edited by playinwittime

RussP

That's one ugly watch, Dave.

Send it to me immediately, so that I can add it to my collection of ugly Pateks :B):

UmpaHimself

Definitely the right size on your wrist. How about that ice though. :giggle:

_DC_
Definitely the right size on your wrist. How about that ice though. :giggle:

Hmm, yeah I'm not exactly someone you associate with bling am I? It's subtle though, really subtle!

DC

matt5

where i can find this rep?

FuzzyCoyote

How did I miss this one....

Bookmarked for a good read later once the darts is over :)

Good effort dude