Sign in to follow this  
Derek Mc

Seamaster 300 Master co-axial quick review

Derek Mc

I have owned this one for over a week ago after swithering for far too long. Bought from KW it was delivered very swiftly (relatively speaking as we all know the score here) in about three weeks from QC pic's received.

I saw the first picture of the gen on here just after it was released and knew it was a watch that would really need to be owned by me. I sat on it until I was sure the movement, the dial, the secondhand, oscillating weight marking, the lume colour, the bezel and crown mounts were all as good as possible, and BOY was I pleased. I will include a couple of gen comparison shots for interest along the way, clearly marked and also an atypical 40.5mm Rolex GMT master II for size reference.

The watch is far lower in height than a P.O. as such it sits better on the wrist for it's rather small 41mm diameter, it is a long watch however at 48mm so manages to fill the wrist well sit tight in.

OK so startring off with the typica weakness on Omega rep's the bracelet

Bracelet is typical Omega faire, two tiny 1.8mm flat head chrome screws and an inter-length pin. The quality is generallt quite superb on the clasp especially as the extension to the clasp for dixing is a work of art, though only time will tell if the circlips on the release buttons are any better than the usual chocolate ones!

_DSC0148_zps3e6f284e.jpg

The extension is correct to gen, the engraving is deep crisp and the sheen finish just beautiful

_DSC0160_zpsf64c6d21.jpg

And in the closed position

_DSC0158_zps455607af.jpg

The Action of the buttons is typical Omega rep, i.e it's kinder to press the buttons to latch the clasp on the wrist than snap-it shut I find, my CrPO was/ is the same and I just do that as routine now.

The links on the bracelet are perfect, the polished centre with satin edge link pieces polished on the outers replicate the gen to perfection.

The bezel is simply stunning in my opinion the polished ceramic / liquid metal and pearl are all very well replicated indeed and I would defy anyone to get called out wearing this one on these elements

Frist a few GEN's

Omega-Semaster-300-Master-co-axial-3_zps46c5d08d.jpg

GEN

DSC_6546_zpsbd153a24.jpg

GEN

Omega-Semaster-300-Master-co-axial-6_zps31553e8c.jpg

REP

_DSC0154_zpsc05495b0.jpg

_DSC0156_zps86f20f74.jpg

_DSC0146_zps9d762471.jpg

A refernece shot of a GMT Master II for size purposes

_DSC0145_zps595eb512.jpg

The Dial.

Well from comparison shots it seems a flawless rendition the lume colouration and the grain on the dial the lettering and shades, plus who can miss the "WHITE" secondhand here??

The AR.

Again I am blown away by it, the AR is almost colourless the tiniest hint of aqua blue can been seen but only when you really go looking.

The rehaut the raised edge to the crystal all are exactly as sen on the gen, the shape and style all superb in detail.

The Case.

Beautifully finished the stainless steel in polished and satin is perfect the edges sharp very defined and no over rub evident. Quality is certainly well above expected and worthy of the gen.

The serial number right where it ought to be, and flawlessly done.

_DSC0163_zpsc459d277.jpg

Crown and stem seem to be pretty darn good too the finish is bead blasted with polishing to the "Omega" symbol and it takes several good turns to engage fully.

The Movement.

It's noisy! There I came out and said it, the elephant in the room the Miyota is noisy, but beautiful to look at. Over the 9 days it gained about 3 1/2 minutes. Needless to say I am more than happy to accept that. Noise annoy's but that is the oscillation weight and I may try lube on it to quieten it down some.

_DSC0162_zps9107ae76.jpg

_DSC0161_zps11fe5203.jpg

The writing surrounding the sapphire caseback is engraved and backfilled in black enamel, time will tell as to durability but, it seems to be correct and accurate to gen.

The Lume.

Now here is a genuine weakness the lume is pretty darn poor, I have tried sunlight halogen even LED charging it and at best it's really pitiful by the standards we can achieve from the masters of RWG However when the watch looks like this,,, it is like saying Jennifer Aniston isn't gorgeous with the lights are off ;)

Are there any obvious gives?

Well yes there is one that is pretty glaring, and one slightly less so,

First one, my bezel sits the tiniest fraction off TDC and it bugs me but the collar is so tight to the case I can't get dental floss in there nor do I have a bezel removal tool to lift it and remove the ceramic insert and I am NOT going go at it with a Stanley knife, some arbitrary viewers failed to see it off as thankfully the pearl itself is a good distance away from the top marker far enough to cast doubt as to "is it" or "isn't it" out of position. It slightly bugs me plus under a 10x loupe there is the very smalles of roughness to the ceeramic where the pearl is inset, it is really invisible unless yo go in search and do the "all angles viewing technique, but I am damn picky about watches, so I go looking!!

The second well the under side of the bezel below the grip ought to be polished it is about 0.7mm in height and the gen is polished, it bugs me too, however this watch is going to be rare for atleast two years to for now I am blissfully happy to let it remain.

I hope it is safe to assume in reading this that I am over the moon with the quality of the entire package, this has to be one of the best built rep's you can buy, and if you are considering one, please go for it now as they are already getting scarce and TD's are saying they may run out in very short notice. When they do a V2 will come along and Goodness knows how it will be. I am happier than words can state with the first edition, I can't think of a gen to make a comparison to really but it would be up ther with gen's of atleast £400>500 value on the high street,

"It's a belter!"

I hope you enjoy the write up as much as I did doing it.

Daywatch

Great review, thanks. I really do like the looks of this Seamaster, almost breaking my rep-diet for it and with this kind of praise......... it´s getting really hard:)

digger2

Great review, I love mine too, same problem with the bezel pearl being a bit off center between the nearest clicks. I would not say mine is noisy though.

Jackflash

Great review. Thanks :)

ellistyle1

Great information here. Thank you.

Not That Rich

Thanks for the review and pics

Frazzle

Thanks buddy, looks like a truely great rep and I want to love it but the overall length caused by those super long lugs really puts me off. Prefer the smaller diameter just the length looks all wrong to me from a design perspective.

Anyway what do I know, enjoy it buddy.

Kwt

Great review man. I've gone off Omega slightly but this watch sure is nice. A date function would have been nice though.

Robin195959

That's really nice Derek.

Monty010

great review mate. I'm really enjoying mine :)

dnrc

cheers for the review, should have mine in the next couple of days :-)

Martijn0007

Great review!

Not so good for my wallet....

mclarendude

great review!

Derek Mc

Thanks everyone, very much appreciated, all the rep pictures are straight from the camera no corrections so forgive the stray reflection and little bits of glare. I just can't seem to wear anything else right now it's strange I am in deep "Lurve" with this one. Going to have to be careful as it was never intended as a daily beater!

norrie

Thanks. Can't wait for mine to arrive.

dnrc

mine turned up today and is currently sitting on my wrist.

i like it a lot.

Derek Mc

i like it a lot.

Pics man PICS!!!! you know the score unless we have proof it never happened :)

chase0224

Kinda boring looking.

dnrc

or subtle and tasteful depending on your viewpoint.

mrbobdobalina

Beautiful. I am working on getting one of these.

digger2

And now we got the explanation why they sold them out...

http://www.pf-818.co...ss-p-16518.html

Anyone want to buy the old model I have one with broken pearl.

digger2

WTF, I thought it was the high beat quality movement but it is the Miyota 8205 21600 if they havn't made a high beat version of it now, very sloppy by the trusted dealer.

Derek Mc

WTF, I thought it was the high beat quality movement but it is the Miyota 8205 21600 if they havn't made a high beat version of it now, very sloppy by the trusted dealer.

No, always been the Miyota and to be honest it's a great little movement far easier to dress up like an 8400 visually, and solid as a rock reliability. Omega's tend to run at an unusual 7bpm IIRC so neither Miyota nor ETA replicates that perfectly, I think it's a not bad choice personally.

dnrc

i like it a lot.

Pics man PICS!!!! you know the score unless we have proof it never happened :)

It did happen though: :-)

DSC00008.JPG

DSC00029.JPG

And here it is with my other recent delivery:

DSC00035.JPG

It's nice. great size to wear every day (i found my previous 45mm too big) fits under a shirt nicely and looks smart.

May consider getting a brown rally strap and a mesh to swap about but i'm more than happy as it is.

Edit: took new pictures and cleaned them first

Edited by dnrc

Icemix69

Great review, i really like mine, the long lugs bugged me at first but now im used to it