Sign in to follow this  
onzenuub

Great video for setting and using GMT function on a Rolex or other GMT

onzenuub

This is for gen GMTs and rep GMTs with the CHS movement but it should help anyone who doesn't know how to properly set and use the GMT function.

Found on RG

KinCaidk

I never owned a GMT-watch, and actually found this very usefull.

Thanks,

billywhiz

great vid, works a bit diff om my GMT ICHS but thats rep for ya. A 'flaw' lol

oscarmadfish

well done onze

JoeyB

This is for gen GMTs and rep GMTs with the CHS movement but it should help anyone who doesn't know how to properly set and use the GMT function.

Found on RG

It may be understood by everyone, but I think he could have explained it better when he moves the bezel to California time.

With the bezel arrow ▼ (12 and 24 marker) straight up at the top, noon or midnight Greenich Mean Time, and set the GMT hand to Greenich Mean Time, if you want to know what time it is in another time zone you need to add or subtract from 24. As he said, east coast is Greenwich Mean Time minus 5 (Central time zone is minus 6, Mountain Time is minus 7, and Pacific or California is minus 8), for California he turns the bezel to the known time. If you don't know the time it is 24 minus 8 = 16. Turn the bezel so the 16 on the bezel is at the top  (the 12:00 position on the dial) and read the hour in California off of the green GMT hand, minutes as usual.

Athens, Greece is plus 2 GMT. Turn the bezel to 24 plus 2, which is 2. Read the GMT hand off the bezel for the hour.

Want to know why your rep dealer hasn't returned your email yet? He might be sleeping! China is plus 8 GMT. Turn the bezel to 24 plus 8 = 8 at the top, read the time in China off of the bezel with the GMT hand.

My favorite, and where my watches usually sit is Hawaiian time. Hawaii is minus 10 GMT. 24 minus 10 = 14. Turn the bezel to 14 at the top and read the time in Hawaii off the bezel with the GMT hand.

This method works the same on the ICHS, and is how I use my GMTs. No need to screw or unscrew the crown and re-set the hour hand, just turn the bezel and get any time in the world IF you know the GMT offset.