Sign in to follow this  
Pseudonym

The Rolex 16800 : It's been emotional (Pic Heavy!)

Pseudonym

Thanks gents.

The sad truth at present is I'm a bit in the fence about it. Hopefully the feeling will pass...

KeNnY

Awesome buddy !

And AWESOME PICS !

I can now see in detail my work, and I can say I am proud of it, it looks like gen :lol:

wear it in good health buddy !

jigelow

I love looking at this piece. I can't wait to get my build done. I'll finally be done with sneaking in to the office and looking at my parts longingly.

I understand being torn about selling up. It comes with the hobby.

DeLaForce

It's a peach!, glad you stuck with it after all the setbacks... it's often what gives the most satisfaction in the end.

Enjoy it !!

Member X

That looks amazing, you should be very pleased with it!

I dread to think what it's cost :D lol

You should put all your other watches away for a week and just wear this one - I find a watch tends to 'grow on me' and I appreciate it the nice things about it more once I've lived with it straight for a while without other temptations in the mix :) lol

Pseudonym

So...

I've now been approached by a few members on a few boards.

My dial is being called out as rep.

Very disappointing. For no other reason than I have spent decent money on it.

The dial was bought as "gen repaired/refinished" from eBay.

Trouble for me is I now have no case to claim back my money as it's been months.

Awesome.

Here are some comparison pics with a gen Mk3 dial.

While I note the difference of thickness in text of the sub/1000ft=300m/ etc etc

The most obvious flaw is the Swiss <t25.

My dial is at the top.

3610d46b57801eda43234dd2a160ee9c.jpg

cbc86738e7f89e9934553b9b50853c79.jpg

Great...

If I wasn't done with reps... I just fuckin might be now.

:(

Pseudonym

Pretty cut & dry for me. I've been scammed. Super awesome.

BadPickle

Bad times mate, I feel your pain.

Such an epic journey with an anticlimax, your story is told with exitement and anticipation all the way through. I'm guessing your dissappoinent is probably not about cost, it's about deception and the lies.

No piss taking here. Chin up pal.

SSTEEL

Shit Rob, I know its a long shot, but contact the seller anyway mate, and see what they say, is their feedback upstanding?

Pseudonym

Bad times mate, I feel your pain.

Such an epic journey with an anticlimax, your story is told with exitement and anticipation all the way through. I'm guessing your dissappoinent is probably not about cost, it's about deception and the lies.

No piss taking here. Chin up pal.

Shit Rob, I know its a long shot, but contact the seller anyway mate, and see what they say, is their feedback upstanding?

Cheers Stu. Yeah, I'm not fussed about the money spent; just the scenario. I'm a pretty honest person & try to stay that way. Just a bit of a shite story when falling foul.

Cheers Mick. The seller's still active has a few vintage "gen" Tudor boxes and alike FS at present. Sent him an email explaining. Let's see. Doubt I'll get any joy... I can just see it now... " that's not the dial I sent you" caper.

SSTEEL

Keep us posted on how you get on mate.

BC1221

that sucks man.

usually when a vintage dial has been "refinished", i always took it to mean they reprinted on a gen plate.

the differences are noticeable but the quality is still top notch imo.

i do get why youd be upset with it since these are not cheap dials and it was sold to you as a gen/original dial.

id def hit up the seller and see what they say. maybe you can get some money back.

either way, its still a beautiful dial/watch.

Pseudonym

You've hit the nail on the head. Gen plate. Reprinted.

& that's cool... If that's what you're selling. If it ain't... Well, then I'm unhappy.

I'm unhappy.

_DC_

This sucks!!

I haven't the knowledge or the balls to delve into the gen vintage Rolex world, so many stories like this and even people who profess to be "experts" get caught out from time to time! Unless your name is Pucci Papaleo it seems there's a good chance you're gonna get scammed!

Stick with Patek mate, you know what's rep, you know what's gen, there's no grey in the middle, everyone's happy :thumbsup:

DC

Pseudonym

Well Dave. Tonight really pissed on my chips...

I got home from the office at 23:34 after going in at 06:22 this morning. I'm beat.

This little hiccup has sealed the deal. I'm selling her. She'll be listed tomorrow.

*no back door sales will be accepted. I'll sell her when I list her*

HeavyKrush

Oh my god mate, I would be fucking gutted. I would totally be all over the fucker that sold it no matter the time. For sure he has to know it was part of a build, and builds take time to complete. Best of luck and I hope it brings a fellow member joy if you do sell it.

mrbobdobalina

Keep it for a while just to be sure. It is a beautiful piece with a great story.

jigelow

Ugh. I never even noticed. That is absolutely brutal news. I'm really sorry. :(

Yelow69

Sorry about how this turned out but your build inspired my latest purchase. The build is very similar to yours.

E5E049A1-4EC9-4B46-804F-DE2BAF583F76_zpsbqyl2clz.jpg

BanDiDo

Amazing build

Ishmael

Just saw this Rob, feel awful for you. Been having my own issues with a 6263 build - been in transit twice to the original seller to fix some issues, only to have it arrive today... with a broken movement. Then there's the $800 I sent to Spin 8 months ago that I might as well have set on fire.

The more I get into this hobby, the more I wonder if I should just say fuck all and get out. Or maybe just stick to Silix cheapies and have done with it...

Pseudonym

Thanks for the comments gents. She now belongs to someone else... Sold with no regrets.

I know what you mean Ish. I've been buying relatively cheap gens the last 2 months. Most expensive was $780. Suprising what you can pick up if you look hard enough. I'll likely own a couple reps but I'm not getting into the modded/franken thing again... It's simply not worth it & takes away from the reason we're here in the first place. To enjoy a passion without expending a lot of cash.

jigelow

Soryy again about all of this. I hope you're happy with what you've gotten since you've moved on. I'd love to hear what pieces you picked up!

I'm looking at selling my Steiny since it FETs no wrist time now that my franken is wearable. I really want to get a Gevril Tribeca and try that one out.

Here's my build @ 95% complete.

lOaJbut.jpg

mach19

Chapeau this built is lovely

B&E939

Thanks for the comments gents. She now belongs to someone else... Sold with no regrets.

I know what you mean Ish. I've been buying relatively cheap gens the last 2 months. Most expensive was $780. Suprising what you can pick up if you look hard enough. I'll likely own a couple reps but I'm not getting into the modded/franken thing again... It's simply not worth it & takes away from the reason we're here in the first place. To enjoy a passion without expending a lot of cash.

Man I just have to take the time out to say,

That watch was still an absolute freaking stunner. My hat truly goes off to you for all the effort. And good god, that Kenny lume job MADE it. You still created quite possibly the best of its kind I've ever seen dude. Would have killed to own it (if the current owner is reading this... hint hint :P)