Sign in to follow this  
Derek Mc

A7750 auto winding issue

Derek Mc

I have done the searches, even watched the dissassembley vid but need advice on getting an Automatic winding issue resolved.

The mainspring gearing only turns very occasionaley as I watch and spin the oscillating weight it seems to be disengaging somehow and I wonder if there is anyone that can advise on if I should look at trying a fix myself as the mechanism is inside my favourite Skyland so really want a fix before manual winding it kills the gears,,,,

Genius

Could be a reverse gear problem (if the 7750 has one lol) I am a complete noob so I advise you to take my advice as complete bollox, but had a similar problem with the reverse gear on my 2824 movement watch and it was a relatively easy fix just swap out the gear. It is a bloody tiny gear but not too hard to swap out on a 2824

Probably something completely different on the 7750 but maybe worth looking into?

Derek Mc

Thanks for that I will look at the exploded diag again to check

noobtube

I would love to know if you come up with a solution... I have a brand new black super avenger with what sounds like the same issue

CedricWX

Does it wind manually?

SSTEEL

Possibly the click.

Derek Mc

OK It winds manually fine but the auto wind bridge seems to be the problem, so I did what anyone in this positions does,,,,,,,,,

I delved in with the www.eta.ch pictorial I took the oscillating weight spring bar and bridge off and had a right good look. that took about 15 seconds, putting it back together took me four hours as I was all fingers & thumbs but,,,,,,,,,, it still runs and is self winding albeit in the same manner as before you can almost hear it engage and wind the mainspring!! it seems to disengage and freewheel

Hey ho,,,, at least I gave it a right good go

plankton

Derek sound like you best send that one to SSteel, don't you think?

I'm looking forward to March!

ROLIE

hi have a look at the reduction wheel where it fits to the auto bridge

at a guess the pinion is dry ive had a few with a similar issue to yours, it details where the wheel is on the eta site

Derek Mc

Well After two days of very gingerly working on it, I managed to reassemble the entire watch and better yet get it running. I have established it is indeed the reversing wheel cs no. 30.037 that is was or still is, at fault though it is winding pretty well and back on my wrist after a 300 master break. GOD I love my Breitling's

It was complicated and the chrono wheels moved so had to be all reset, then it wouldn't run then finally it came back together after a good think and some old engineering techniques in miniature!

I have developed a few techniques that I am pretty proud of, but,,,,,,, I plan to get a gen Valjoux for this watch it deserves it ;)

Genius

Fuck me... I was right???

When I made the suggestion I thought I was going to get laughed at for being a noob moron

SSTEEL

Well done mate :)

Derek Mc

When I made the suggestion I thought I was going to get laughed at for being a noob moron

Nope!!! It was the very component that was I believe at fault and I plan to pick one up off the web, or see if I can do anything with the current one to service it as it is a work of art in itself.

Thanks chum,,, good call!

Genius

Nope!!! It was the very component that was I believe at fault and I plan to pick one up off the web, or see if I can do anything with the current one to service it as it is a work of art in itself.

Thanks chum,,, good call!

I got mine from cousins for the 2824 cost less than a tenner delivered.. I did order 2 tho in my foolishness and one was the wrong size but hey ho the watch got fixed

Derek Mc

Well bugger me sideways guys,

I put the Skyland in the drawer last night as I still didn't believe the original reversing wheel was doing it's job and the thing was running down from a short manual wind during the rebuild process.

I had worn the watch for about four hours watching TV nothing "strenuous or vigerous" so by past standards expected to wake up this morning and find it had kicked the bucket about 2am as it has always had a really poor power reserve since I got it in July..

WELL no!!! still running, so I put the Omega away and strapped on my Skyland so lets see how far this puppy will run!

I truly adore this watch and am made up that it has performed this well so far. Even more so that I had the courage to get in about it myself :)

plankton

Cool! Amazing........

SSTEEL

Superb to hear!

Derek Mc

Cool! Amazing........

Superb to hear!

Thanks guys,

Next task if it keeps up is a gen crystal the rest of this one is so utterly indistinguishable the current crystal which has a load of micro swirls all over it lets it down. I dpon't want to use diamond paste and buff off the exterior AR however ;)

Derek Mc

So, a further update The poor power reserve issue had slowly returned and after wearing all day it was giving me around 6 hours tops on the dresser. So as it has a pronounced spinning oscillating weight issue, the only course of action is that of replacing the reversing wheel.

Not something I entered lightly or happily but as my love of this piece is so much, it was my only choice. So, I adopted a few tips I had picked up from my BFF Mr Google, in that I used my version of "rodico" ;) to hold the clutch arm for the chrono in place and act as a locator to one side for the automatic device bridge, I then used a second piece to hold the hammer side and act as a locator again.

Replace the reversing wheel and reduction wheel, and rebuild taking care the jewels align and the chronos are all at zero! then before tightening up make sure that it winds, the nip up the screws replace the weight and the moment of truth, this time the function is spot on!!

So after only a 25 minute pit stop I can actually hear the winding of the counter weight it is crisp sharp and running beautifully.

So, possibly I have the long term fix resolved, then I can see about the servicing of this watch in the summer months!

SSTEEL

Bravo mate :)

Derek Mc

Bravo mate :)

Thanks, I hope the last time I have to delve into the heart of the watch personally!