Sign in to follow this  
theflyingdutchman

My first time was with 15… into replicas nearly since 1986...

theflyingdutchman

Good day replica friends from around the world!

My very first fake (replica) was a present from my mother as I was 15, so that was in 1986! She brought it back from a holiday in Mexico. It was a absolutely none immaculate piece of copper red-gold Rolex Day-Date! I think it lived with me in it’s red-gold status for 3-4 weeks and kept on wearing it in its metal-shine-through status for another 2 years, without getting a copper poising although I had a green wrist! I re-started collecting reps 5 years ago. First the low end fakes until I had about 60 of them…and since 3 years the higher/high end ones. The low end ones all have been cashed in, but one Franck Muller.

I am 38 years old, live in Holland. I’m married to a semi-rep-hobby understanding women, which I keep rep-purchasing-tame by buying her once in a while a watch as well…that does work - Believe me. Besides replicas I enjoy my BMW M5, powerlifting, red wine, cooking, ACDC, Pantera/DOWN, Rimsky and films!

So here some thoughts on rep products:

1. replica cars are a great piece of mechanical work. So these “fakes†are okay – right?

2. fake [censored] are okay….sure [censored] are always okay – right?

3. hand painted copies of great paintings are okay – because they are a homage to the original artist – right?

And what about our replica watches?

- Fakes are bad/evil, business destroying, terrorist supporting pieces of cheap XXX for low income, show offs – Right ?

BULLXXX! I think that replicas and fakes are something different!

- Replicas, just like paintings or rep cars can be a homage to the original…. (sound good!)

- Fakes on the other hand are cheap shitty copies of the original with no “spirit†…. Maybe you get what I mean?

Q: So have I ever been called-out?

A: Not once in all these years!

Q: Have I ever called out somebody?

A: Not really, but I have given people website addresses so that they can but a proper replica watch and not a “fakeâ€â€¦and always got a positive responds.

Q: Do I tell people that I ware am wearing a replica?

A: Yes and no..

- Yes, if I think it could lead to a discussion which could be interesting… or provokingly entertaining…

- No, if I want to impress somebody….yes I admit that I have done that! And it worked….she did not know any brand other then Swatch and Rolex….(so where does that put Rolex?)

Q: Why do I buy reps?

A: Because its better to have 40 reps, as I have today, then 1 real Daytona – I think! I have 4 originals from my favourite brand – Maurice Lacroix Masterpieces and rarely ware them, as I want them to keep the value. Somehow stupid or maybe mean/parsimoniously towards myself….and of course its easier to have what you desire at a reasonable and sensible price. I have a friend who works at big watch dealer their standard purchase price is 45% of standard retail! Sometimes even 35% if the brand need to get rid of stock!

Q: Favorite brand(s)

A: Maurice La Croix. Rolex, Panerai, Hublot, Breitling and of course Franck Muller

Q: Holygrale?

A: Seams to change everyday…. Yesterday it was the ML Tourbillon Rétrograde or maybe PAM231, Bentley Mulliner Tourbillon and many a more...bad luck I only have 2 kidneys for sale....

Q: Can a rep ever replace an original?

A: Sorry NO, it come pretty close but no rep. Honestly no fake I have seen comes THAT close…pretty close surely, but not THAT close? No, sorry!

Q: Biggest issue with reps

A: I like gold….and that is difficult or can be difficult! And of course:

1. did the money arrive at the dealer?

2. did he understand what I wanted incl. the mods?

3. did he send the parcel with registered airmail as requested?

4. when will it arrive?

5. does it pass through customs (until now wit 63 parcels not once an issue, but I had to pay twice import duty on Chopard watches(?))

6. Am I at home when the parcel arrives and was not given to the neighbour, who then goes on holiday! I could see my parcel lying behind the glass wind of his front door…..he was on holiday for 14 days… those where the longest 14 days of my life….

7. did the watch arrive working

8. is this the same watch as on the dealer pic

9. and do I really like it?

Q: Where have you bought reps:

A:

- on the Wednesday/Friday market on Playa de las Américas/Tenerife; fakes for 35-70 euros or every day on the beach for +/- 50 Euros. Even the police wore fake Daytonas there!

- in Italy in Florence and Rimini on the streets for 35-70 euros from the local “on the street dealersâ€

- In Mexico/Cancun in a few shops hidden in the back. 70 plus USD

- In Holland openly on the zwarret markt in Beverwijk for 100 Euro plus

- In Shanghai and Beijing for very small money!

Q: Who supplies your fix?

A: most of the time it was SILIXPRIME; Jay is a good guy AND FUN! I had quite a few beers with him Shanghai… and a mighty hangover the next day! Great food on a Sunday morning and lots of fun on the local fake-market! Joshua is also cool, just like Andrew and of course also Reg. Currently I have 2 orders with a new dealer who is not on this board. Once I have these pieces I will update you!

Q: Do I mod my watches?

A: If new straps are modding then yes I do….besides that, I rather spend my money on new watches then on a lume or canon pin fix! But that is a matter of taste? But the work, time and knowledge invested by some I think is great!

Q: When would you stop buying reps?

A: If I was rich, then not! If I was wealthy, maybe! Try me!

Q: Why did it take you so long to post the first time?

A: laziness and always reading new posts and working!

I better get back to work now!

So all of you take care!

Thanks for reading!

Cheers!

Theflyingdutchman

Edited by theflyingdutchman

greg_r

Great first post. Welcome! :D

onzenuub

And welcome again flyingdutcman.

KinCaidk
Besides replicas I enjoy my BMW M5, red wine, cooking, ACDC

HELL YEAH!!

WELCOME!

oscarmadfish

welcome and looking forward to pics of your watches :D

AllergyDoc

I've seen you lurking for a long time, here and on RWG1. Glad you decided to start posting!

iabounty

Welcome to RWG section 8. I enjoyed your hello thread very much dutchman.... Unlike onzenuub I CAN spell dutchman.......... :D

bene3

Welcome to RWG and a very good first post!

jameo210369

Better late than never, welcome to the forum flyingdutchman