Sign in to follow this  
JohnG

How to refinish an Omega SMP bracelet

JohnG

EDIT: HERE IS ANOTHER GREAT TUTORIAL - WITH POLISHER: http://www.chronomaddox.com/article/mason_...let_refurb.html

This bracelet is very complicated to refinish because it has both polished and brushed parts. We will conduct this tutorial with a bracelet that was polished by the previous owner - making it incorrect...

First up you will need the following products, these are the ones I use but many other brands are available.

Scotchbrite pad / pads - various grades are available

scotchbrite.jpg

Emery boards (some people use Satin Finish Bars from Frei and Borel)

Emeryboard.jpg

Bergeon scratch pen

Bergeonscratchpen.jpg

Microfiber cloth

Microfibrecloth.jpg

1 tooth brush

1 tube of autosol metal polish

1 Packet of cape cod polishing cloths

1 mild soap, liquid soap is best

1 set of decent screw drivers and / or bergeon strap changing tool

1 roll of black insulation tape or masking tape - clear sellotape will suffice if that is all you have

So lets get started, whilst I have taken many pictures of the in-between stages i forgot some of the earlier steps

First up what are we dealing with:

An Omega Seamaster Bond 300m divers watch. It's a couple of years old and has the usual desk diving marks on the clasp and 12 O'clock side of the bracelet.

The entire bracelet and clasp has been polished by the previous owner...

Polishedwithscratches.jpg

Scratchyshiny.jpg

So lets get going

2. remove the bracelet from the watch head using a suitable strap changing tool.

3. Fill a large bowl with very hot water

4. Apply plenty of mild soap to the bracelet and gently aggetate with a soft tooth brush - remember to work well in between all the links, open all clasps, divers extensions and clean both the back and front.

5. now submerge the bracelet in the very hot water NEVER do this whilst the watch head is still attached!!

6. Remove the bracelet from the water and give it a light brush with the toothbrush again and clean in the water again

7. Now pat dry with some kitchen roll - ensure the watch is completely dry.

8. another stage I missed pictures of - whichever links should be polished use a cape cod cloth to buff to high shine / lustre or alternatively use a dremel with a polishing head and apply autosol paste to the areas required. Polish to a deep shine and remove any excess polish by going back to step 4.

9. The important part - Masking up the watch.

I chose to use electrical PVC insulation tape as it will stretch and molud to the shape of the bracelet and links - it also has excellent adgesive qualities!

Pic of the bracelet masked up to brush the centre links...

IMG_2331.jpg

IMG_2333.jpg

Once you have masked the bracelet you can begin the process of brushing, I usually start by using some scotchbrite as this tends to reach the parts of the links that the emery boards stuggle to brush finish.

Move the pad in one direction - DO NOT go backwards and forwards, this will leave an non uniform brush finish..... take your time and don't be afraid of the bracelet it's not going to bite you keep going until you are happy with the finish.

Now grab a emery board, coarse to start with - usually dark grey in colour. I like using emery boards as they are foam backed and provide a nice uniform finish as the pressure you apply is evenly spread. Again only travel in one direction with the emery board.

here are some halfway shots of the clasp and one side of the bracelet mid brushing and the other half untouched...

5050shot.jpg

and here is the clasp refinished v's the 12 O'Clock side of the bracelet still untouched...

brushedvsshiny.jpg

All finished:

Claspfinished.jpg

refinishcropped.jpg

Quickgroupshot.jpg

onzenuub

Nice

Massimo

Very nice results and something I would be happy to tackle as a non-modder. Mine's already starting to show "desk diving" marks (like it) so its time will come.

greg_r

Great post, John! :D

JohnG

Its all plagiarized of course - this is a rep forum after all! :D

I am looking at a beat to shit gen bracelet and wanted to know if it was possible to refinish - and found this on TZ-UK...

greg_r
Its all plagiarized of course - this is a rep forum after all! :D

I am looking at a beat to shit gen bracelet and wanted to know if it was possible to refinish - and found this on TZ-UK...

LOL - makes perfect sense to me. Still a great post, mate :D

oscarmadfish

thanx john :lol: