Sign in to follow this  
rx2man

Rep watches oiled from factory?

rx2man

Hello all 1st post here

I have searched the forums and assume that new rep watches may or may not be oiled and may or may not be oiled properly. I bought a new Omega Planet Ocean from one of the trusted dealers on repgeek. My understanding from reading these forums that I stand to get the best reps from the trusted dealers. Does that mean that these are actually oiled properly or total luck of the draw?

Rob

and wow are there some nice looking reps out there. I grew up in Hong Kong and can remember the "Rolexs" you could pick up there and how cheap they were in price and quality. They have come a long way since the late 80's early 90's

sconehead

I'll be honest, the only rep I've recieved that has had any oil near it was a WM9 LV that used a gen ETA 2824...and I own/have owned around 30+ different reps...

rx2man
I'll be honest, the only rep I've recieved that has had any oil near it was a WM9 LV that used a gen ETA 2824...and I own/have owned around 30+ different reps...

that is what I thought, read that at one point they were being oiled but were being over oiled and was easier just not to oil them. Just wondered if that was still the case, looks like it is.

Thanks

Aren

Hi and Welcome...

You have found the right place. Yeh, the rep watches have come a long way. I remember the cheapies sold on city streets.

My favorite Rolex is the Milgauss SS with the Green crystal. I got one for my son. It is gorgeous. It was a graduation gift. Although he graduated from university, his high school ring is Sterling Silver with a large green emerald. The watch looks stunning with it. He knows it is a rep and that is fine with him. I don't have really good pictures, but this is a photo taken with his cell phone...too bad you can't see the green, but the light needs to be just right for the eye to catch it....

2010-10-07_12-22-08_645.jpg

2010-10-07_12-21-50_705.jpg

This watch is simple and elegant. He wouldn't want really flashy or complicated. I looked for a long time to find the one I wanted to get for him. In the photos it looks like this watch has blemishes, but it doesn't. It looks flawless in 3D and it has a great weight to it.

Well, again welcome...you have found the right place, now I hope you find the watches of your dreams.

All the Best

Aren

rx2man

Thank you

That is a nice watch for sure. The pictures look great, that is still a challenge for me taking a nice pic of a watch, read the sticky above and need to work on it. I just got pops the Omega PO, he likes a simple clean watch as well. He is also happy with reps. In fact he is the one that got me my 1st reps 20 yrs ago.

Finding some reps I want is not the issue, I have seen a few already that I like. The Zenith El Primo with sub dials is great along with the Breitling Chrono Avengers. Just need to let wifey know for X mas and see what Santa brings. I am not expectin much as I got a belt fed Yugo M53 coming for X mas so its not looking good on many watches!!!!

trailboss99

An M53? You lucky bugger!

Welcome to RWG mate, remind me not to give you any stick :)

Col.

sfa437

Whoa whoa whoa- hold up here..... you get crew served weaponry and I get fucking socks????

WHAT THE FUCK???

:)

Aren
Whoa whoa whoa- hold up here..... you get crew served weaponry and I get fucking socks????

WHAT THE FUCK???

-_-

@ SFA :unsure:

Rx, if your wife picked out the Yugo, you are probably safe to let her pick the watch too...she already has fine taste, and cerainly wouldn't be picking out any watch cheapies. ::rolleyes::

Again Welcome!

Brightlight

Going back to the original question, no, very few, if any, rep movements see any oil, and more often see dirt, hairs, etc, and a total lack of quality control with loose screws, etc. There is nothing that can be done with the Asian 21J movements, best just to run them into the ground, they're cheap to replace. The ETA clones and so called 'Swiss' ETAs should at the very least be checked over and put on a watch analyser to ensure there are no hidden problems which might indicate a service is required.

rx2man
An M53? You lucky bugger!

Welcome to RWG mate, remind me not to give you any stick :D

Col.

I am really looking forward to the M53. I've been drooling on it for a couple yrs now and finally decided to do it. Its just a little much for a toy. But it goes good with my 1919 and I think that will be it on military weapons. I do want a .50 cal though but at 7-8k its just too much.

rx2man

WHAT THE FUCK???

:D

Its called whining, I do it long enough and wifey capitulates!!!! LOL

rx2man

WHAT THE FUCK???

:D

@ SFA :rolleyes:

Rx, if your wife picked out the Yugo, you are probably safe to let her pick the watch too...she already has fine taste, and cerainly wouldn't be picking out any watch cheapies. :;):

Again Welcome!

Sent her 3 pics yesterday of the Breitling Chrono Avenger, the Zenith with the 4 sub dials and one of the Tags, she liked em all, but not holding the breath for X mas....we'll see though. Still feeling it out LOL

rx2man
Going back to the original question, no, very few, if any, rep movements see any oil, and more often see dirt, hairs, etc, and a total lack of quality control with loose screws, etc. There is nothing that can be done with the Asian 21J movements, best just to run them into the ground, they're cheap to replace. The ETA clones and so called 'Swiss' ETAs should at the very least be checked over and put on a watch analyser to ensure there are no hidden problems which might indicate a service is required.

Thanks for the reply, this is sorta what I had read on the forums but was not sure if it was still the case, sounds like it is though. Picked up pops the Omega PO and assume it has the 21J auto in it. So answers my question. Run it!!!!!

Also clarifies the 7750 thing and the Breitling I am wanting!!!! I am just too cheap to drop $200 into a service. So not sure on the auto chronos. Or just wear it here and there and hope for the best.

greg_r

WHAT THE FUCK???

:thumbsup2:

Its called whining, I do it long enough and wifey capitulates!!!! LOL

;)

*applause*

;)