Sign in to follow this  
MDK

7750 Transplant Advice needed

MDK

I am considering having the Asian 7750 swapped out for a gen 7750 in my IWC 3878.

This model has the secs @6 and i am hoping if the secs @6 module is polished and given the graphite treatment.

Then the base movement is swapped out for a gen 7750 i will improve the reliability, my thinking on the gen is a better engineered movement with stronger main spring (stronger drive)

My question is the Secs @6 module plug and play onto a gen 7750 ?

Thanks in advance

Duzza

Surely the weak point is just transferred to the gen 7750?

MDK

Surely the weak point is just transferred to the gen 7750?

Possibly it may not be worth it, and yeah the issues are transferred over, but hoping with the polish and graphite treatment with the added drive of the gen movement it will be more reliable and will overcome any increased load on the drive due to the secs @6 module.

Wriggles

JSJ did a number of these, he has some threads on his work. Think the module is the issue more so than the movement, and if I recall correctly there may be an issue transplanting....though that may only be on the Daytona versions

SSTEEL

Yep, the module itself is the weak spot, this will be care dover to any movement, plus I am unsure if its a direct plug and play so to speak anyway regarding the holes in the main plate for it to screw down to.

Odyseus

Apparantly others have swapped the sec@6 parts to a genuine 7750 with no issues. The modder said that in fact it runs better because the genuine main spring has more power and is better able to overcome the friction in the sec@6 mod. However, the rep hands won't fit the genuine 7750 pinions!!

MDK
Apparantly others have swapped the sec@6 parts to a genuine 7750 with no issues. The modder said that in fact it runs better because the genuine main spring has more power and is better able to overcome the friction in the sec@6 mod. However, the rep hands won't fit the genuine 7750 pinions!!

OK, so worst case scenario is a new 7750 and new hands for my IWC, the hands may be hard to find, especially gen ones

JSJ

The 3714 secs@6 module is not plug and play. The new movement has to be drilled and the secs@9 pinion has to be cut. Obviously the date change mech is removed too.

I've not seen the 3878 movement so although it is reasonable to assume it's like the 3714, standardisation in the rep world is non-existent so I wouldn't hold my breath on that.

Why don't you just wear it and enjoy it?

JSJ

Oh and the Daytona version is completely different.

MDK

The 3714 secs@6 module is not plug and play. The new movement has to be drilled and the secs@9 pinion has to be cut. Obviously the date change mech is removed too.

I've not seen the 3878 movement so although it is reasonable to assume it's like the 3714, standardisation in the rep world is non-existent so I wouldn't hold my breath on that.

I would, but it is having issues and the secs@6 needs attention.

It keeps stopping randomly, i am a bit gutted as this is Brand New

JSJ

OK didn't know that, sorry to hear it.

How confident are you to take it apart? I would at least have a look inside.

MDK

Fairly, did a 7750 to 7753 transplant and mod the quick date change, will have a look at the weekend

JSJ

Fairly, did a 7750 to 7753 transplant and mod the quick date change, will have a look at the weekend

Did you find my thread on the 3714? It's definitely worth a try to have the module apart and clean it.

Once you have it apart you can determine whether it's the module or some other issue.

Let me know if you need some advice. I'm no expert but I have done a few now. Only for myself by the way, although I've been asked a few times, I don't take on any work for others.

MDK

Appreciate that thank you

MDK

By the way, have a read of this and be happy you didn't spend $000s on your 3878

http://www.iwc.com/f...scussion/62549/

Oh dear, where have a heard that before?

That's terrible for a AD you shouldn't be having to gamble on a gen watch certainly not one at that price.

Ok so i got my Spitfire in pieces, is this a new secs @6 modification, i have not seen this on before

Look at the huge lug of grease in the middle gear, its transferred to the back of the dial as well.

The date wheel has grease smeared on it, no wonder it kept stopping.

15621513463_6074802203_b.jpg

16215489186_b046d263cf_b.jpg

15618968674_53ce73a671_b.jpg

So far i have removed the middle gear cleaned the grease away and wiped it off the date ring.

I polished the back of the dial and gave the middle gear and rear of the dial graphite treatment.

I cannot see ho to remove the gear on the back of the secs @9 drive, i guess its pressed on but don't want to force it off in case of damage, i already had the seconds hand detach from its post ( that was a fiddly fix)

Also the new sec@6 gear is fixed and i don't want to force it either, they need to come off though as one of them has smeared the grease on the date ring. it seems to be ruining ok for now, but time will tell.

Any other recommendations on this one ?

JSJ

Of course, I just realised it has to be a different module because of the datewheel.

Very interesting. I suddenly have an overwhelming desire to have one. Which TD did it come from please? I'll ask Rochest anyway.

As for recommendations, definitely cleaning off the grease like you are doing. Like you say, little wonder it doesn't work. In fact it's amazing they managed to get it moving at all. I bought some moly grease to try and realised how stupid that was before I actually used it. I always wipe of as much graphite as possible but you can still feel it on the surfaces.

I can't see what you mean by the gear on the back of the secs@9 drive. I'll have another look at the pictures.

Edit: OK got it now. Yes, I bet that transfer gear on the secs@9 pinion is simply an interference fit. I'd try some hand levers under it diametrically opposite each other and gently lever it. It should pop off like a hand.

MDK

Of course, I just realised it has to be a different module because of the datewheel.

Very interesting. I suddenly have an overwhelming desire to have one. Which TD did it come from please? I'll ask Rochest anyway.

As for recommendations, definitely cleaning off the grease like you are doing. Like you say, little wonder it doesn't work. In fact it's amazing they managed to get it moving at all. I bought some moly grease to try and realised how stupid that was before I actually used it. I always wipe of as much graphite as possible but you can still feel it on the surfaces.

I can't see what you mean by the gear on the back of the secs@9 drive. I'll have another look at the pictures.

I got it from M2M not sure where it originated from.

Sorry, the secs@9 drive, the gear sat furthest to the left seems to be pressed onto the original secs@9 pinion, so i guess it comes off like a hand, but am dubious about forcing it and bending the gear, then i am screwed.

JSJ

Sorry, the secs@9 drive, the gear sat furthest to the left seems to be pressed onto the original secs@9 pinion, so i guess it comes off like a hand, but am dubious about forcing it and bending the gear, then i am screwed.

I just edited my post ^^.

That pinion will be quite short. I bet the gear will come off.

MDK

I just edited my post ^^.

That pinion will be quite short. I bet the gear will come off.

Got this built back up last night, so far it hasn't missed a beat, all i did was in the above post.

I will take another look at it as soon as i can get a new small seconds hand and clean the other gears, i don't fancy taking this one off again it will just detach from its post now it's done it once

JSJ

Good man!

Now you just have to sell it to me :giggle: