Sign in to follow this  
_DC_

Well the new 5227 is here!!

_DC_

The new 5227 arrived today!!

Here she is next to her older sister the 5107...

F098F7D4-D48A-41F9-B55B-FCC1B4D3DC59_zpsxn51xna5.jpg

First impressions, the strap is horrid (quelle surprise), and the officers caseback is sprung to a point then flops open which doesn't feel particularly "quality", but other than that it's a nice looking rep and a nice looking solid movement!!

The full DC review will arrive next Tuesday on my day off, once I've had time to get to know her a bit better!!

DC

KeNnY

Nice DC ! Looking forward for review, only gen croco band and good to go.

I would like to get one for IWC FA Jones, but black one, can someone help ? :D

SackOHammers

Ah thats great. You got it quick compared to some of the orders I've placed. Look forward to your thoughts next week after having it a little bit.

The dial color looks much more white-like than the 5227 I got from Tim earlier this week. But that was the 5227 model that was available before this one came out.

Jonnybaws

Now you've got that out of your system, go get yourself a nice ROO :giggle:

Nice watch mate, simply yet stunning :wub:

steve123

nice watch.. tempting.

_DC_

I won't lie, the watch on the left is still the clear winner, though the gen gator strap does help, but the 5107 is a better balanced watch in my opinion.

If I can compare them to Ferraris, the 5227 is like a 458, modern, curvy and a bit flash. The 5107 is more like an F40, a true classic with more than a hint of the 80's about it!!!!

DC

SackOHammers

My watch came with the same strap you have there. I'll have to whip out the calipers on mine to see about the strap measurements. Will be curious to see what you think for a replacement strap. Will be looking for black aligator (not embossed leather) myself.

_DC_

The lug width is 19mm and the buckle width is 18mm.

Almost impossible to buy straps with those measurements, the strap you can see on my 5107 in this picture is a RIOS 1931, it's a genuine aligator strap handmade in Germany and it's beautiful quality, you can get them from eBay and they come in 19mm but it's a 16mm buckle size, so will need to buy a replacement buckle to fit!

That's what I'm gonna get for mine, but in deep brown like the gen 5227R

DC

SackOHammers

Yes, the brown is going to look great on that R. I got mine in stainless so it looks more like the G. That's why I'd be after the black strap.

I saw the post you made yesterday or the day before and started looking at those nice RIOS 1931 straps. Browsed their website. Didn't see any of that flavor (black gen aligator) on their website so started to get concerned maybe the ones on Ebay were not legit. Saw several around the $130 mark. But also saw some TDs here selling black gen aligator.

But, I'm a newbie to this hobby and I don't know a thing about buying straps. Appreciate your tips and information about lug to buckle taper requirements. Keep us in mind if you find a workable strap and replacement buckle combination.

SackOHammers

Looks really nice. I'm going to have to do a gut check to see if I want to spend $249 + the cost of a buckle.

That's for Model 266 Monarch, 114/82mm length, 13 Black color, Stanless Steel buckle, 19/16 Lug/Buckle width.

I might have to look for less expensive options. Maybe in the $140 range. Especially since I'll have to hunt for a new buckle.

SuperDanX

Looking forwards to reading your review. Looks lovely.

FuzzyCoyote

Can't wait to read the review dude.

Love the Ferrari comparison as well, lol.

I think the 5107 still pips it for me as well.... Roll on Tuesday

Martijn0007

Looks great DC! I look forward to read the review :)

After seeing many pics of the watch, I start to lean more towards the SS one.

Kemist

It looks so spectacular!

Not sure why mine hasn't arrived yet :(.

_DC_

That sucks Kemist!!

While your waiting, you may as well order a replacement strap, coz it desperately needs one! It's bugging me, I know it will be a superb piece but the strap is making it seem shit, lol!

Also the colour is wrong on this ones strap, the RG should have a deep dark brown strap, so as soon as I get paid in getting me one!!!

19mm lug, 18mm buckle (I'm gonna get 19/16 and replace the buckle with a simple one coz I can't find any good 19/18mm straps)!

DC

Phizzy

Any chance of squeezing on a 20/18mm - may give you some more scope?

Robin195959

They're both lovely watches DC I share your appreciation of the Patek Marque and Heritage. I bought my wife a vintage gen and the Calatrava is my Grail. Mebbe one day. :-)

_DC_
Any chance of squeezing on a 20/18mm - may give you some more scope?

Possibly, the RIOS strap on the 5107 is 20mm lug so will see if it fits, if so will go for the 20/18 RIOS so I can keep the Calatrava buckle!!

DC

Bonauta

Thanks for posting this!! looks like a really really nice rep!!!

Waiting for that full review.

Kwt

The 5107 just oozes quality and is the clear winner for me here.

cufflink

Any link for that 5107? Sure looks good.

Pseudonym

Long since gone. DC has the only one I believe.

_DC_

Long since gone. DC has the only one I believe.

Yeah I'm afraid the man speaks the truth, it's the only one as far as I know, and I've tried hunting for another one so I'm pretty sure!! If you want it you'll have to prise it from my cold dead wrist, lol!

DC